Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2007, 08:30 PM

2 posts, read 19,718 times

Advertisements

I live in the Souther Calif mountains above Palm Springs. The weather is absolutely beautiful 9 months of the year. The other 3 months can have a little snow, but usually melts the following day or so. It is in the middle of the National forest with beautiful pine and oak trees. We wake up to the birds singing and enjoy watching critters from our deck. The town of Idyllwild is a close walk from our house and is a little quaint town of shops and eating places. It is very safe (we don't even have a police department). If you like quiet little rural town in the beautiful forest, Idyllwild is for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 08:38 PM

923 posts, read 3,512,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by addie37 View Post
I live in the Souther Calif mountains above Palm Springs. The weather is absolutely beautiful 9 months of the year. The other 3 months can have a little snow, but usually melts the following day or so. It is in the middle of the National forest with beautiful pine and oak trees. We wake up to the birds singing and enjoy watching critters from our deck. The town of Idyllwild is a close walk from our house and is a little quaint town of shops and eating places. It is very safe (we don't even have a police department). If you like quiet little rural town in the beautiful forest, Idyllwild is for you.
I know the area well and you speak words of Truth...

Old 06-21-2007, 08:50 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,632,726 times
lived down the hill in Hemet for years and was bummed to see so many dead trees up there the last time I came up the 243. My buddy CHP officer Crandall patrols that little piece of paradise

Old 06-23-2007, 02:30 PM

323 posts, read 1,390,476 times
It's been a long time since I saw Idyllwild. I think it is very expensive to live there, is it not? Are there a lot of artists, painters, living there? I know it is listed as an art town in some book. Maybe I'll go and check it out when I go back to Hemet where my Mom lives. A long time ago some German tourists got killed on the road up there. Is it safe to travel the roads alone or was that an anomaly?

Old 06-23-2007, 03:51 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazelais View Post
It's been a long time since I saw Idyllwild. I think it is very expensive to live there, is it not? Are there a lot of artists, painters, living there? I know it is listed as an art town in some book. Maybe I'll go and check it out when I go back to Hemet where my Mom lives. A long time ago some German tourists got killed on the road up there. Is it safe to travel the roads alone or was that an anomaly?
I've looked at property up there. Prices are not that bad for SoCal and it's less than Arrowhead or Big Bear. The road is not great but not terrible (I think 18 is actually more dangerous). The main concern for me is the lack of services and the fire danger. The bark beetle / smog combo is killing off entire stands of trees up there. There is also some pretty substantial poverty in the area that you might not see if you spend the day hiking. Still a gorgeous area, our neighbors have a place up there and are up there every weekend.

Old 06-23-2007, 04:27 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
Right now all the national forest in So. CA. are like a match head waiting to be lit. The bark beetle has done so much damage and yes the smog has been killing the pine trees for years. Now with the drought the trees are getting weak and the bark beetles are thriving! The last time I visited Big Bear I was so saddened by the way the forest looks. I have never seen it so horrible. Let's all pray they get some of that much needed rain and that they can get some control of those bark beetles. It's very sad!!!

Old 06-23-2007, 04:43 PM

323 posts, read 1,390,476 times
Can anyone say drought?! Oh no! Seems like water will be a problem in the future in the South West. Well, seems like there are problems everywhere. I don't like long term extreme heat and Idyllwild seems to
have fine weather. Not having services or worse a fire would make me rethink
living there though. How is that big pool they opened last summer in Hemet? Is it nice or is it much too crowded?

Old 04-27-2017, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,565 times
Exclamation Idyllwild beware not recommend

The Town is infected with problems let me explain

The biggest is the Town newspaper

The Town Crier
They exploit people to sell advertising
Without respect for the truth
They are toxic and dangerous
The head staff drink and drive putting the people of Idyllwild in danger.

People are in your business and being a small town they are unavoidable

The roads are deadly, if you don't believe me get the facts from the police

Riverside county is the worst county to live in

The traffic is unbearable and winter is plagued with power outages and road closures

Just trying to help I'm very sorry I bought a home here!

Old 04-29-2017, 09:30 AM

661 posts, read 832,364 times
Roads are not that bad, Riverside county is NOT the worst county by far, many high end areas its is all subjective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties