Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 10:02 PM

4 posts, read 14,865 times

Advertisements

Looking through the listings for reasonably priced single family homes in Palm Springs, I've noticed that there tend to be a lot for sale just off the northwest end of the main PS airport runway, in the area generally bounded by Racquet Club, Vista Chino, Sunrise, and another street on the east that I've forgotten the name of. Are the low prices related to airport noise, the reputation of northern areas as being windy, or some other reason such as high crime? It's the last I'm most concerned about. I'm visiting again in November and am starting to get serious about looking at properties. Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 05:44 PM

23 posts, read 95,521 times
Default airport noise

What I discovered after some research is that on the weekends the El Centro base is closed for refueling so they use the PS airport. Also reserve military fly on weekends. Oh well, I'll learn to live with it.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 5,562 times
Default Military jet noise

We are winter snowbirds and didn't realize the house we were renting was almost directly in the path of planes taking off and landing on the northwest side of the airport. (On Hermosa about 1/4 mile from Vista Chino) I was walking my dog this morning and 2 F-16s (I think, definitely military though) came by at 9:10 am very low, fast and incredibly LOUD. Damn close to loud enough to damage peoples hearing!
I am sure the jets could take off a little slower, and climb higher and get away from the city before they kick in the overdrive so the earsplitting noise level is avoidable.
We recorded a complaint on the airport noise complaint line. I am going to complain to the local visitors and convention bureau also.
I will never rent a house in this part of town again. We are thinking of buying here also and would never consider anything at either end of the airport.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:16 PM

2 posts, read 11,069 times
Default Airport noise

I live close to the airport also, but not as close as you do. The jets are very loud. It seems, though, that most of them fly on the weekends?

Old 01-13-2011, 04:22 PM

2 posts, read 11,069 times
I live around this area. I'm not sure why the homes are priced low though. There is more wind in this area, but not too bad. Crime is really not an issue. I think you may be referring to homes in the "north end" or Gateway.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:41 PM

1 posts, read 5,491 times
The aircraft in question are FA-18s and Harriers which are generally flown by Navy and Marine pilots. The problem was almost non existent a couple of years ago, but one or more of the aircraft servicing companies at Palm Springs airport got refueling contracts with the military. When the C-130s or C-117s come in the noise is negligible. But when the 18s and Harriers arrive, their landing glide path is right over my condo complex. The lower the approach, the worse the noise. Two Fridays ago an 18 followed by his wingman came over and the noise vibration literally shook my unit. I have filed a complaint with the FAA as I believe that the Air Traffic Controllers can vector these flights away from residential areas and over the wash, fields, or golf courses as they are much more maneuverable than commercial or military cargo flights.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 5,185 times
Dear PeggyB: I am wondering if you can shed more details on the El Centro base being closed for refueling on the weekends- hence the increase in traffic at PSP. Was this something you read? Did you speak to officials at El Centro. No one at City Hall seems to be aware of these facts. I'd like to let the airport director know but wanted to gather more information. Thanks and Happy Holidays.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,123 times
Can anyone who lives in El Rancho Vista Estates, on the North-east side of PSP, comment on airport noise? There's a home for sale in there for $425K, very low for a home of its type. Has airport noise worsened in the last three years?

Old 01-09-2016, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 5,231 times
Here it is 0400 PST Jan 9 2016 , that is 4 AM in morning. MULTIPLE aircraft flew over my home , shook the windows flying so low, woke my kids up and now I have to try to get them back to sleep! We live at Gene Autry Trail(CA-111) & E Palm Canyon area called RimRock. WHY are these PROPELLER planes flying so close to housing when most commercial jets fly over nearby golf courses and no NOISE can be heard when landing or taking off from PALM SPRINGS Airport KPSP??? Fly over Tahquitz Creek Golf course and leave the houses lone and QUIET. I'll try to get housing areas NO FLY ZONES AFTER 9PM UNTIL 6AM if I could! There is no need for pilots to be so inconsiderate of the people living a few miles from the airport that late at night.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:31 AM

175 posts, read 250,195 times
The airport should be closed and relocated north of existing development. Then, the struggling debt ridden tweaked infested city can sell the land, at a profit, to John Wessman and Richard meany

There are, so many nicer places for our glbt population. How about Ashland, Oregon? Or, Durango, Colorado?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties