Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 06:05 PM

23 posts, read 95,085 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else detest the jet noise from the Palm Springs Airport? The commercial airplanes, helicopters, etc. are no problem. The military jets which were designed to take off from aircraft carriers are unbearable. I have counted and today we have had 7 and it is now 4pm. I found a noise complaint hotline which I will call at the airport and have written a letter to the Director of the airport. Has anyone had any luck with this kind of problem? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 06:50 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,923,431 times
You might be hearing WWII planes from the Air Museum. I don't recall PS Airport EVER having military jets taking off from the airport, which were supposed to be flown off a carrier.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:53 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,773,417 times
The only ones who had a jet plane operational in WW2 were the krauts.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
The only ones who had a jet plane operational in WW2 were the krauts.
I don't know a jet from a piper cub! You know that!!!

Actually, I do know quite a bit about the WWII birds. I think the OP isn't hearing military jets. I live in the area and I've never seen/heard them. In October the Blue Angels fly around here from El Centro, but it's not October yet. I think somebody's hitting the bong too frequently.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:43 AM

268 posts, read 1,196,299 times
Actually, the OP likely was hearing military jets. My first home in Palm Springs was near the airport and I can recall several occasions throughout the year when I would first hear then see up to a dozen fighter jets coming in for a landing one after the other. While no military planes are based at the airport, about 1% of airport operations are dedicated to military flights. In fact, in 2009 there were 1,344 military flights recorded as going in and out of the airport, so it's definitely not just a one time thing.

As far as complaining about the noise, good luck with that. The airport has been there in one form or another since 1942 so it's not going to go away, no matter how many people make noise complaints. But I'm sure you will get a polite letter back thanking you for bringing it to their attention.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:51 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,773,417 times
As those of us who used to live near El Toro MCAS used to say: "Jet noise, the sound of freedom!".

Yep, we used to say that, even when those unbelievably noisy Phantoms took off.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:55 AM

Default airport noise in Palm Springs

A follow up to my inquiry re. military jet noise at the Palm Springs airport.
I received a call from the airport after my complaint. Yes, there are many military jets that were designed for aircraft carriers that fly in and out of the airport. Palm Springs is a public airport and so the airport can do nothing about the military use. The response to my complaint was that this is in their southwest training route and they stop here for refueling. I think the refueling is more R&R as it happens mostly on the weekends. I have written the Base Commanders at both Camp Pendleton and 29 Palms.

I'm way past "bong" use but not past political activism. I'll keep on this until I get some reasonable answers. I believe my complaints will help so anyone to join in and write the Base Commanders please join me.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:28 PM

Peggy, did you move near the airport and then this started, or what this going on before you moved here? (I was joking with the bong comment. Hope I didn't offend.)

Old 08-29-2010, 03:47 PM

Smile airport noise

Hope this doesn't show up twice. I probably need to read the City Data for Dummies book. We did know the airport was near our home when we purchased, however, we were not aware of the military jets. Big difference!
When I spoke to the airport rep, who by the way was very nice, he inferred that the noise comes and goes and when citizens start complaining, for awhile the the number of jets will be reduced - magically!! So, I'll be pleased if I get any reduction. Two a day would be better than sometimes 10 on a Saturday or Sunday.
No offense re. the bong.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:59 PM

Hi Peggy, no, I know the airport was here - it's been here a long time. I wasn't sure if the jets and noise was here before you moved here or if it started after. I don't live close enough to the airport to hear it, so I am just curious. But, if the complaints about the noise get results ... go for it!

I know the Blue Angels do their practice from October through May and we see/hear them here in La Quinta, but they fly in and out of El Centro. I didn't know Palm Springs had military jets. I know the Air Museum has jets on occasion, because we go to see the shows, and we've flown in/out of Palm Springs on commercial flights. See - you never stop learning!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties