Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 09:01 PM

9 posts, read 54,454 times

Advertisements

As another poster mentioned, Arrowhead will save you at least thirty minutes over Big Bear when going "down the hill" (locals refer to Big Bear as 'the Hill', and if you're not from here, you're a 'flatlander'.) You'll appreciate the shorter drive when you want to go to the big box stores in SB and Redlands, plus the movie theaters and the beaches.

Big Bear is boring. People come here to die. OK,.... it is a great place for recreation. At least Arrowhead is closer to civilization. In my opinion, Arrowhead is prettier, with lots of narrow winding roads and little shops (make sure you have a good 4x4) but I don't think you can boat on Arrowhead lake, as you can Big Bear lake.

Arrowhead gets more concentrated snow and depending on your location, you can be in for a lot of shovelling from mid December through to the end of March and Big Bear has more alerts during fire season. Be absolutely sure to have fire insurance - you may need it. I wouldn't worry about the 'crime' rate, especially in Arrowhead, and the people are mostly very friendly. Big Bear has had its share of meth lab busts but I think this type has now mostly migrated (to places like state prison.) The local economy in BB has been hit hard with foreclosures and closed businesses.

Both places are bible belt but are not exactly Kansas.

Best BB restaurants by far are Peppercorn Grill and La Montana. Stay clear of Pong's and Sonora Cantina.

Good luck with the move!

Last edited by Motorcycle_guy; 11-08-2010 at 09:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 02:33 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,389,384 times
Lake Arrowhead is not a "Bible belt." I live here and know better. As I stated earlier, Big Bear is impossible to live in when you're commuting. Lake Arrowhead is a 25 min. drive down the hill. Lake Arrowhead is private for a reason, it keeps the riff-raff off the lake. Big Bear lake has diapers floating in the lake. That is no exaggeration and a big reason to avoid it. I can't imagine anyone who would choose to live in Big Bear over Lake Arrowhead, there is just no comparison.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:39 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Lake Arrowhead is not a "Bible belt." I live here and know better. As I stated earlier, Big Bear is impossible to live in when you're commuting. Lake Arrowhead is a 25 min. drive down the hill. Lake Arrowhead is private for a reason, it keeps the riff-raff off the lake. Big Bear lake has diapers floating in the lake. That is no exaggeration and a big reason to avoid it. I can't imagine anyone who would choose to live in Big Bear over Lake Arrowhead, there is just no comparison.
Yup, already covered.
Avoid elitist, go to Big Bear.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:32 PM

9 posts, read 54,454 times
Quote:
Lake Arrowhead is not a "Bible belt."
Very well, Arrowhead may not be bible belt but Big Bear certainly is.
Quote:
Big Bear lake has diapers floating in the lake.
Diapers in the lake? No it doesn't. That's a huge exaggeration. It's probably happened on some occasion but it's nothing you're ever likely to see. In more than a dozen years I've seen only small amounts of floating litter at the edges. The lake is lined by multi-million dollar homes and is very well cared for.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:52 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times
Arrowhead, Starbucks on every corner.
The city seems more like a mall than a mountain community.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:13 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,389,384 times
Really? Arrowhead has NO Starbucks. The only Starbucks in the vicinity is located in Blue Jay (not Lake Arrowhead), and it is tucked away unobtrusively inside a Supermarket. There isn't even a Starbucks sign outside the market so it's about as invisible as it gets.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:46 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,173,569 times
I like Big Bear a lot more than lake Arrowhead

Old 12-16-2010, 06:29 PM

14 posts, read 104,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
I like Big Bear a lot more than lake Arrowhead
Depends what you're looking for. Big bear is a bigger city, more snow, more 'good' people, and 'not so good'.

Arrowhead is small, quiet, quaint, and private. Smaller town feel. The lake is better kept because its private- that'd only be natural with the state of affairs our state is in. If you live within the lake rights area of Arrowhead you can get lake membership.

I'd stay in LA over BB any day.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Yup, already covered.
Avoid elitist, go to Big Bear.
I think people in other countries think American's are elitist- but then again they all want to come here too

Old 12-16-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Arrowhead, Starbucks on every corner.
The city seems more like a mall than a mountain community.
Thats funny... I thought Big Bear was the city with a Wal-Mart....?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties