Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 01:37 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times

Advertisements

Some of my reltives went today to check out some apts called Homecoming at Terra Vista in Rancho Cucamonga at Church St & Terra Vista Parkway East. The apt mgr said the rent changes DAILY according to the availability of apts. My family & I have never heard of such a thing as rent changing daily! That's extremely unfair & outrageous to me.

Is this the way all or most apts are in R.C. & surrounding areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 02:20 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
I thought the same until I found the airline industry operates his way... only the prices can change by the minute for the same flight.

The only caveat is if you can prove fraud such as "Bait and Switch" is taking place...

Not all rentals operate this way... nothing wrong with asking up front if a particular unit is available as advertised before wasting time and money.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:31 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,012,837 times
One apartment complex I looked at in Corona had the same thing. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing since I saw some really good deals come up on their website. Although I'm sure they use it to pressure people into signing a lease. It made me think they would be more likely to raise your rate a lot after the first year. I've had an apartment complex do that to me and it left a bad taste in my mouth (since I HATE moving.)

BTW, you understand the rent gets locked in when you sign a lease? It's not like they keep changing your rent after you move in.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:20 AM

I want to return to this topic because I've done some serious apt hunting lately & it looks like all of the 16 complexes I've seen have a daily changing rate (based on the amount of tenants at the time). At least there's a few complexes w/ websies where you can check the rate as often as you like.

My question now is, is there a way to get the BEST rest possible? The thing is, we have no control over how many other people move in/out, so this whole changing daily concept is so unfair to me. I prefer to sign a 6-month lease & not commit myself to a yr if I don't like living there.

Any more comments/suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
...BTW, you understand the rent gets locked in when you sign a lease? It's not like they keep changing your rent after you move in.
Yes, I do understand that.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:32 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,376,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
My question now is, is there a way to get the BEST rest possible?
Well if you can watch how the rent changes, then you must know what is a good price for that complex, and what isn't - right? So can't you just wait for the price to drop again to where you like it?

My question is why would you want to bother with this? I don't like "complexes" and have almost always chosen to rent from a private owner, rather than a big corporation - since you can usually get much nicer place privately. So clearly I don't understand the draw, but even if you love big apartment complexes, aren't there plenty of them with fixed rents?

Old 01-11-2012, 09:46 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,149 times
This is slightly random. But I'm way over in Raleigh, NC and 1 apartment complex I was looking at here in this area said the same thing about daily changing rates. And you know what? I feel like more and more will start doing this with the decline individuals buying homes and more people renting and for longer periods of time. I read an article recently that a lot of investment companies have started investing in Apartment Communities nationwide and I hope I'm wrong, but rents won't be a low nor as flexible as they have been. I for one don't like it!

Old 01-11-2012, 12:48 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,180,022 times
You might talk with one or more property management companies (handle rentals), and ask them about your concerns. You don't necessarily have to sign any agreement with them unless you decide to rent one of the properties they are handling. They might give you some insight as to how common it is for rents to fluctuate daily and in what circumstances. I haven't rented for years, but I never encountered this. I wold guess that most individual landlords and smaller properties don't have the time and staff to change rents daily.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:49 PM

Thanks guys. I don't plan to move until about April/May, but on Jan 9th, I've started keeping track of the rent prices on as much of a daily basis as possible so I can see how low it goes. I think keeping track for a few months should be a good amount of time to see. Fortunately, the complexes I'm interested in have their own websites w/ the current rent so I can check as often as I want without having to call them all the time.

Taynxtlvl, that's good info to know. This is going to be my very 1st time renting, so I have no idea about the apt market out there.

bouncethelight, you asked why I want to bother w/ this. Well, all I need is a 1 bedroom/1 bath place & there's not really any rental homes that are that small in my area. Homes usually have at least 2 bedrooms (in which the rent would be even higher). I will barely be able to afford a 1bd/1ba apt where the rent range is usually $1100 - 1350 for a 620 - 745 sq ft place. I shouldn't say barely afford. It's the most I'm willing to pay to still live somewhat comfortably. Yes, the cost of living here is high. Otherwise, sure, I'd love to rent a single family home because I'd enjoy the privacy. I'm sure living in a complex will take a LOT of getting used to for me. I've lived in a single family home my whole life, so I'm used to getting my mail right at my front door or just walking a few steps to get the mail, having my attached garage & being able to walk right in the house, etc.

Last edited by Forever Blue; 01-13-2012 at 07:24 PM..

Old 01-13-2012, 10:16 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,376,539 times
Quote:
I will barely be able to afford a 1bd/1ba apt where the rent range is usually $1100 - 1350 for a 620 - 745 sq ft place.
That sounds high for a one-bedroom.

Quote:
Yes, the cost of living here is high.
San Bernardino county actually has a very low cost of living. And Rancho Cucamonga is more expensive than other nearby cities, but it's not Beverly Hills...

Quote:
sure, I'd love to rent a single family home because I'd enjoy the privacy. I'm sure living in a complex will take a LOT of getting used to for me. I've lived in a single family home my whole life,
It sounds like you're doing your homework, but I do hope you physically go out and actually look at all your options. For the amount you're willing to pay to live in a complex, you could rent a house in some parts of the county. Maybe even within the city limits for Rancho Cucamonga? Or Redlands? Or Upland? If you're willing to pay $1350, you should be able to do better than a one-bedroom apartment in a huge complex - even in the nicer areas.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:37 PM

3,882 posts, read 4,534,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
That sounds high for a one-bedroom.
I agree it sounds high. Is it a luxury apartment with a lot amenities you want?

Hubby and I have a one bedroom in an older complex in Mission Viejo, (which is usually a pretty expensive area) and we're paying 1200.

Good luck!

Last edited by Count David; 01-16-2012 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: fixed quoting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties