Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 11:17 AM

987 posts, read 1,745,449 times

Advertisements

I guess this is a rant, ontop of a question. To the question:
The Train Depot itself, looks like its an unfinished project, are they working on it at all? It sorta looks like an abandoned train depot from the outside, with the construction walkway in front of it, as well as Protective Plastic Wrap surrounding the unfinished, dull Gray color of the building itself..........I can't tell.

My rant is the parking, this was the first time I was late (being past 7am) I could not believe how fast those spots got filled, although I know that sometime this year (?), the huge Parking Structure should be ready (or so I read), I ended getting a spot, after I saw someone leaving and talked to one of the commuters, she stated that has been the ongoing problem, theres no parking, and that it was worse not too long ago w/construction realignment between 2nd & 3rd, ontop of relocation of the storm drain & water main. so I now know to Be there @5:30, before 6am..or I'm 'ssd out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 08:19 PM

493 posts, read 1,446,749 times
The station is undergoing a facelift. In fact, there is some controversy regarding whether the technique being used violates the rules of proper restoration of a historic building.

Yes, parking is a huge problem there, but is a positive testament to the number of passengers who use the Metrolink. Hopefully the new parking structure will alleviate the problem.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlowman View Post
The station is undergoing a facelift. In fact, there is some controversy regarding whether the technique being used violates the rules of proper restoration of a historic building.

Yes, parking is a huge problem there, but is a positive testament to the number of passengers who use the Metrolink. Hopefully the new parking structure will alleviate the problem.
The Building, Do you know when its expected to be finsished?
Is that an old building they are restoring? I never been there until last month, so I have no idea of what was there...

And the parking, yes I can't wait till its finished & opened, its really good to see alot of people out that way using it, I've met people from Beaumont, Redlands, & San Bernardino, that are truly happy with it.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnt.starling View Post
The Building, Do you know when its expected to be finsished?
Is that an old building they are restoring? I never been there until last month, so I have no idea of what was there...
I'm not sure when the work will be finished.

That's the San Bernardino railroad station. It's coming up on 100 years old. If you go here:

Welcome to SANBAG

and scroll to the bottom of the page, there are links that have the history of the station and an article about the restoration.

If you're interested in pre-Amtrak railroad history, there is a nice museum on the ground floor that is open on Saturdays from 10-2. The passenger waiting room is now open and there is a well-stocked cafe inside.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure when the work will be finished.

That's the San Bernardino railroad station. It's coming up on 100 years old. If you go here:

Welcome to SANBAG

and scroll to the bottom of the page, there are links that have the history of the station and an article about the restoration.

If you're interested in pre-Amtrak railroad history, there is a nice museum on the ground floor that is open on Saturdays from 10-2. The passenger waiting room is now open and there is a well-stocked cafe inside.
Wow! good to know, thanks for the links & quick response, I'm going to take a look at them Can't wait till they finish everything, it will definitely be nice, and hopefully remains so..

Old 02-11-2011, 05:00 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,376,539 times
Thanks for the link jmlowman! I've been in that station a few times, and always loved it, but never knew the history!

Old 02-13-2011, 07:08 PM

Glad I could help. Actually, the large waiting room had been closed to the public for some years. A few years ago the Mayor of San Bernardino struck an agreement that the waiting room would be open for about an hour, twice a day, to meet the Amtrak Southwest Chief. A number of us volunteered to be station hosts. We would be let inside by the security guard, and would do our best to answer questions about the building. Now it's open from early morning until about 9 PM, or whenever the train arrives from Chicago. Before this agreement, there was only a covered platform to shield passengers from the elements. Since the wind predominantly comes from the north, it wasn't a lot of help. And, of course, it can get rather cold in the evening in winter and very hot in the summer months.

By the way, on that SANBAG website, there are tours offered. We've been twice. Now that the police substation has moved out and the eastern extension of the building has been made safe to enter, we may want to go on another tour soon.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:20 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,376,539 times
Quote:
Since the wind predominantly comes from the north, it wasn't a lot of help. And, of course, it can get rather cold in the evening in winter and very hot in the summer months.
That the other thing I remember vividly about that station! Freezing cold wind on a January night a few years ago. It was shocking how cold and how strong the wind was...

Old 02-14-2011, 07:17 PM

This just in: an article in the Riverside Press-Enterprise about the restoration...

We drove by yesterday and most of the building was covered.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:19 PM

Sorry - here's the link:

San Bernardino: Santa Fe depot renovation nearly done | Mark Muckenfuss | Columns | PE.com | Southern California News | News for Inland Southern California
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties