U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 06:21 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,526,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctguitarguy View Post
from crestline,not the whole thing
Crestline is the better commute but, I never made it in 10-15 minutes.

You're talking about winding curvy roads along cliffs ... it's not like the interstate where you can drive 70+ miles an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 06:09 AM

19,028 posts, read 13,444,005 times
Hard on your car? Maybe your brakes and that is only if you are new to mountain driving. I thought it was harder on my car once I moved down the hill with all the stop and go traffic and high speeds on the freeways. I don't recall having any major problems with our cars....and I lived up in the mountains for 35 years. Once a person learns the road the need for brakes is basically only on a few of the very sharp corners and if you get behind another car that brakes often. Maybe a bit harder on the tires but even so it's such a short trip off and on the mountain road that should have little effect. Just my personal experience and opinion.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:55 AM

7,726 posts, read 1,232,650 times
Default Thinking of moving to Big Bear area but we need to know..

My husband and I are thinking of moving to the Big Bear area ( Baldwin Lake) but there are questions I have and haven't had much luck finding the answers to, so any help you could give me would be great.
The home we are looking at uses propane, is it a lot more expensive?
Is fire insurance really expensive and is it hard to find companies that will insure you because of living in an area where there is a greater danger of fires?
The home also has a well and storage tank, what do we need to know about maintaining them and being sure of the quality of our water?
I am sorry for all the questions but it will help us decide on this home or trying to find one in the Big Bear area that has connected services and city water.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:33 AM

Default To the people who have been kind enough to answer my questions..

I am sorry but I have been unable to get the direct messages that some of you have been kind enough to send to me. For some reason I get the pop up informing me of the message but when I try to access them I am not able to. I wanted to let you know so you didn't think I was ignoring your messages.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:23 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,322,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy P. View Post
I am sorry but I have been unable to get the direct messages that some of you have been kind enough to send to me. For some reason I get the pop up informing me of the message but when I try to access them I am not able to. I wanted to let you know so you didn't think I was ignoring your messages.
Hi, Judy!

If you will look up towards the top of the page, one of the blue bars that runs from left to right has white words in it. The first one is "My Settings". Click on that and it will take you to a page showing any threads you have subscribed to and below that, a list of your reputation points and messages.

On the left of that page is a column. They are grouped into sub-categories by dark blue rows. The second one says, "Direct Messages". Just below that is one that says, "List Messages". Click on that and you'll be able to read them all!

Hope this helps!

MrsG

Old 10-01-2007, 02:56 PM

Default TY Mrs. G.

TYVM for the info, I did that at the start of registering on this forum and it showed that I had messages by the pop up notice but when I went to retrieve the messages it said "0".

Old 10-03-2007, 06:31 PM

2 posts, read 9,239 times
Default Why Crestline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctguitarguy View Post
gosh....sheri257 makes me not wanna move there,i would be moving from CT to crestline with a friend of mine living near there. most of the things ive heard on this forum and others has been positive...im surprised to hear such a negative experience but its good to get both sides. its a long trip i would be making so...i wanna make sure its the right place.
I get that you want to move to California, but why move to crestline? I wouldn't want to live there. Big Bear is only 30-40mins. away, what this is where you want to live. My Wife and kids and I moved back to Georgia in June this year from Big Bear. What a mistake. We will be saving all this year, and returning next spring. Sad I have to miss a whole ski season.

If you don't enjoy boating, swimming, skiing, snowboarding, hiking, and nature, then you don't want to live in Big Bear. There is no Walmart as mentioned above, it is a Super Kmart, which is not nearly as good a walmart.

For a small town, if you market yourself the right way. You can make alot of money in Big Bear. The community is about 75% weekend home owners. So these are most 2nd and 3rd homes for these guys. Realistate is still moving, slowly, but moving in Big Bear. But once the market turns around. It will be booming again.

We love Big Bear. It's the first place we ever lived, and felt like we were finally on the right path to a better quality of life. Just keep in mind that California in general is more expensive than anywhere else. Car insurance, food, beer, houses, fun, everything. But as long as you don't work by the hour, you'll make enough money to go around and then some.

Good luck, I hope to see you there.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:44 PM

2 posts, read 9,239 times
Default Help on the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy P. View Post
My husband and I are thinking of moving to the Big Bear area ( Baldwin Lake) but there are questions I have and haven't had much luck finding the answers to, so any help you could give me would be great.
The home we are looking at uses propane, is it a lot more expensive?
Is fire insurance really expensive and is it hard to find companies that will insure you because of living in an area where there is a greater danger of fires?
The home also has a well and storage tank, what do we need to know about maintaining them and being sure of the quality of our water?
I am sorry for all the questions but it will help us decide on this home or trying to find one in the Big Bear area that has connected services and city water.
Propane is probably cheaper than natural gas in Big Bear. Just make sure you have atleast a 1000 gallon tank, or a keep it full plan, from on of the propane company's. Ferrel gas is one company, and the other is right next door. I can't remember the name. Good prices. It usually cost me about $10 to fill my tank for the grill. In Georgia I would pay $12-$14. It's all the same price, just volume. Balwin lake is certainly not the Primo area to live. Things go on sort of a scale of "Quality" in Big Bear. Like this.
In this order starting at the top.

Big Bear Lake
Moonridge
Lake Williams(a few miles out of town)
Big Bear City
Balwin lake
Erwin lake
Sugarloaf

The truth is,that all of Big Bear is starting to Change to a nicer living environment. So each area will improve over time. Balwin lake is not a bad place to live, it just depends on your standards. If you only shop at the best places at the mall, then Baldwin lake is not for you. But If you like nice store, and the occassional outlet store as well, it might just do the trick.
I have a friend that is currently building beautiful homes in baldwin lake, and he has no problem selling them at $300,000.
Good luck, I hope I helped.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:03 PM

TYVM for the info it is very helpful to us. We love Big Bear and hope to move there to enjoy being in such a beautiful place. We appreciate the help!!!

Old 10-11-2007, 06:50 AM

62 posts, read 88,847 times
Default Big Bear Valley

There are lots of nice areas in the valley to live in. Each Area previously mentioned has some 'not so nice' sections. Even the austere City of Big Bear Lake. Baldwin Lake, Lake Williams, Sugarloaf and Erwin Lake are quiet at night and the stars at night are magnificent! But we are planning to leave the valley. Why? Too much over-building. The infrastructure soon won't be able to support the hundreds of new homes planned. Ask anyone how long it takes the sheriff to respond to a prowler call! The water tables are in the danger area. The area was great 15 years ago but in another 10 years it will be a mini-Orange County.
The local politicians seem to have majored in Dumb101 as they humorously ignore the pleas to replace their decaying, underground water pipes.
If you decide to come to Big Bear Valley despite these warnings please come and buy my house!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties