Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2011, 03:57 PM

6 posts, read 17,146 times

Advertisements

I want to move back to So. CA and have seen some very reasonable prices in SB county. I am a widow and senior who wants to feel safe but I do not want any senior areas or HOA's. Perhaps someplace to raise a few chickens and have a dog. I love to garden. And I can only afford around $100,000. Am I out of luck? I have been looking on the internet at property in Redlands, Yucaipa, Mentone, San Bernardino, Victorville and Apple Valley and see some places that look like they might work. Can anyone tell me about the air quality, crime, and weather there? What kind of people live there? If you live in any of these areas, are you glad you are there? Since I am out of state I could use any clues to begin my search when I come out. Thanks for any info you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 11:59 AM

74 posts, read 243,016 times
I would immediately scratch San Bernardino from the list. Victorville also, with your budget, may put you in a location where you don't want to be so if you look there be careful of the neighborhood. These two cities are not as nice as they used to be and have high crime levels in certain neighborhoods.

Redlands and Yucaipa are very nice, low crime, warm weather, so-so air quality. They may be a little high for your budget however.

I think with your desire for property and budget, Apple Valley is the best fit. You will be able to find something within your budget. It is basically low crime, hot during summer and cold during winter, average air quality. Just make sure that you are willing to live in a complete desert. It is very rural up there. I like it though, parts of it are very "small town community" feeling. Some people, however, may not be into this (possibly the reason they moved there in the first place) so be aware of these two schools of thought inside the town.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:59 PM

Thank you so much for answering and giving me some leads. I think AV might be a good place for me. I like the dryness of the desert. Is Yucaipa considered desert? It has always looked like a nice town when I passed that way. Did they ever get their big box stores on Yucaipa Blvd? And how are the people in these 2 towns? I've been out of CA for quite sometime but feel like it is still my home. Thanks again!

Old 08-19-2011, 07:59 PM

74 posts, read 243,016 times
Yucaipa isn't considered the desert per se, but it is also very dry and warm during the summers and is in the transition zone between valley and desert. It is a nice little town and yes there has been quite a bit of development, with the box stores and shopping centers to boot.
People are basically similar in these two towns. Both very down to earth, nobody trying to put on airs or impress everyone else. AV is definitely more rural, so that may factor in to the people as well, but both towns the people are very friendly in my experiences.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:31 PM

987 posts, read 1,746,242 times
Yep I agree w/SoCal, both Apple Valley & Yucaipa are nice places to live, being that I lived there, & now Calimesa, which is a smaller town, they are all good choices, price range, yeah, the only thing you'll find close to that price range & mostly under, as far as Yucaipa & probably Calimesa (Calimesa being Riverside County now) is all mostly manufactured homes., But I wouldnt' dismiss it, there were some homes that were around that price, even I tried to get one, but unfortunately was beaten to it, so I'm still saving up myself, hoping to get a nice little home out that way myself. Good luck w/your search.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnt.starling View Post
Yep I agree w/SoCal, both Apple Valley & Yucaipa are nice places to live, being that I lived there, & now Calimesa, which is a smaller town, they are all good choices, price range, yeah, the only thing you'll find close to that price range & mostly under, as far as Yucaipa & probably Calimesa (Calimesa being Riverside County now) is all mostly manufactured homes., But I wouldnt' dismiss it, there were some homes that were around that price, even I tried to get one, but unfortunately was beaten to it, so I'm still saving up myself, hoping to get a nice little home out that way myself. Good luck w/your search.
Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to coming out and checking out the area further. Since I like to garden I am thinking that perhaps Yucaipa would be good. I see a lot of citrus groves in the nearby areas so hopefully no heavy freezes there. I don't mind a manufactured home at all. And hopefully I will find an area where neighbors don't mind me keeping a couple of laying hens. Best of luck with your home search. I hope you find something. The market is so crazy that it gives me hope. Good luck and thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties