Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 02:31 AM

10 posts, read 43,489 times

Advertisements

Your correct sir....there is no jobs up here now,but stores are being built everywhere, business will come because its affordable and close to major cities, and its all about profit. Its a fact that 70% of people are commuting to Rancho cucamonga and Los Angeles right now...But....But...But, the future is very bright for the people that know and have seen our growth. The high desert is offering incentives, like tax breaks, and grants to businesses that want to move up here. Like I said, look into our website and come visit and see for youself whats happening here......scumbags are everywhere nothing we can do about that, but good investments are only for the people that can see there money multiply....I met Vince Feragamo from the Rams a few weeks ago and yes he invested up here...one of the many smart men that are going to profit from there investment....do a search, he owns touchdown realestate....

Old 12-16-2007, 03:16 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkinhead View Post
Your correct sir....there is no jobs up here now ....
Depends on what your profession is. If you're an RN like I am, there's TONS of jobs up here. I could walk into any hospital and be hired immediately.

So I wouldn't go as far as to say there's no jobs up here. It depends on what training and credentials you have.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:40 AM

Well yeah, but the average person does not have the credentials that you speak off. High school drop-outs, felons, etc.... My wife works for St.Mary's hospital and they are always hiring.....I do believe they have plans to open a few more hospitals. I should of been more specific...

Old 12-20-2007, 02:10 AM

14 posts, read 57,295 times
the high desert area in spite of what some may say is a good area to live. there is detailed census information available to prove this. i would recomend driving the area to get more information on schools, restaurants, etc. Moderator cut: soliciting and or advertising not allowed per site TOS

Last edited by da jammer; 12-20-2007 at 05:56 AM..

Old 12-31-2007, 12:20 PM

4 posts, read 15,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eminent View Post
the high desert area in spite of what some may say is a good area to live. there is detailed census information available to prove this. i would recomend driving the area to get more information on schools, restaurants, etc. Moderator cut: soliciting and or advertising not allowed per site TOS
I LIVE in the high desert and despite what you are trying to see as truth is in fact MYTH! This area is loaded with crime and meth labs. The schools have high ratings in my area, BUT there are LOTS of gang members and trouble makers! The people moving up are RUDE. This USED to be a nice place to live and raise kids but now it is just plain SCARY! I grew up in the desert (moved here 1982) and I could walk anywhere with no fear, but I would NEVER let my kids go out alone after dark!!!!

Old 12-31-2007, 12:23 PM

4 posts, read 15,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Defend Victorville all you want. No one with any sense or any money stays there. It's an ugly, crime-infested pit. Yes, real estate prices have fallen in California, but Victorville has the highest foreclosure rate of any city of its population in California (Source: LA Times). I speak from experience, I lived for 14 years in this cesspool.
AMEN! I am getting out as soon as my daughter finishes school! Too much crime here for me!

Old 01-05-2008, 10:14 AM

259 posts, read 1,918,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
Depends on what your profession is. If you're an RN like I am, there's TONS of jobs up here. I could walk into any hospital and be hired immediately.

So I wouldn't go as far as to say there's no jobs up here. It depends on what training and credentials you have.
There's tons of jobs for nursing EVERYWHERE! thats no secret

Old 01-05-2008, 09:54 PM

1 posts, read 4,956 times
[quote=allisonguru;1571579]If you are into crime, dope, gangs and so on go for it. This area for the last couple of years has gone up sh*t creek..........[/quo

I live in Hesperia and it is not as bad as everyone says, no gang members are not running the streets. Everywhere there are gangs. I have lived here 20 years and it has changed in the last 10 years. Victorville and Adelanto are worse that other places here. More people like hesperia,phelan and apple valley. Phelan has the best school district.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:28 AM

1 posts, read 4,920 times
Not too long ago Victorville was referred to as Victimville, and Hesperia, Disperia. Between the gangs and the first inhabitants up here, a group of folks I refer to as the back cactus people, homesteader offspring with no teeth, it can be quite a disapointment if your coming from a civilized environment. As for Heperia, folks over there like to think it is a better place to live than Victorville, but I always think of the word podunk as I drive past. A more fitting name for Hesperia would be Dog Patch. The first comment I heard in reference to Adelanto was that it was known as the armpit of the high desert. My best advice is not to meander around there after dark or even on a cloudy day. Same goes for Lucerne Valley. Although the house enclosed in a 12 foot iron cage is quite the tourist attraction. Spring Valley Lake and Apple Valley by far have the nicest homes, but you must drive 15 miles on congested surface streets to get there, and shopping consists of a of a Target and a Home Depot.

I have lived in Victorville for eight years. The city has improved over the years, but it is certainly not a cultural mecca. Fortunately, since I commute down the hill for work, I don't spend much time up here. The mall is pathetic, but shopping is available about 35 minutes away in Rancho Cucamonga and Ontario.

As for schools, I enrolled my son in a private school after the first year. The schools here were educationally inferior, and from what I hear and read in the newspaper, they are worse now with the influx of gangs.

The infrastructure is still poorly developed in all of the high desert cities and city government does not seem to care much. Which makes one wonder what they are doing with the increased revenue they have received as the housing and population have tripled. Either they are crooks or just not too bright. From my dealings with local government and personal observation, I think it is probably a combination of both. Use to be said that you lost 10 IQ points driving up the hill. Another reference to the back cactus folks. I think they still account for the majority of folks running city government here.

So why did I move here? Housing was a lot cheaper. But with the cost of gas, it really isn't much cheaper. The 100 mile round daily commute is also getting tiring with a lot more traffic to contend with. Don't even think about finding work up here unless you're looking for a job in retail or fast food.

Now for the good things. I have noticed a decrease in gang types on the streets and grafitti around the area I live in the last couple of years. The sky is pretty, and I like the dry climate, and the little bit of snow we have. I also plan to sell my house and get the heck out of the High Desert and California in eight years, so that gives me something to look forward to.

I can't imagine any job in Barstow would be worth the move and change in lifestyle. My advice, keep looking.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:01 PM

I totally agree with you Sagerose.....the High Desert is not for everyone, but if you check most of my post on here, I never said that its perfect. The point I'm trying to get across is that its a good place to invest.....the future looks bright as far as commercial, multifamily, industrial,. etc. If you can deal with some of the issues we have you will benefit from possibly starting a business. My focus is on the business opportunities, thats what I feel is the value of the High Desert. As far as finding the perfect place to raise a family guess what, I cant find it! Look at the big picture, drive around and see the growth, view some of the cities webinars, and see for yourself.

Last edited by Pumpkinhead; 01-16-2008 at 05:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties