Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 05:19 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,735 times

Advertisements

People are completely missing the point ... OF COURSE the high desert is a dump. But it's a dump with a lot of upside potential.

You don't make a lot money investing in places like OC, SD, etc. which have already gotten too expensive.

You do well investing in dumpy areas that are the next big growth areas on the upswing.

So far I haven't been disappointed ... even with the housing downturn I still have a lot of equity in my house. And commercial construction is booming.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:01 AM

27,345 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Many of us love the high desert because of the clear skies, the elevation, the crisp air, but I'll admit, most of the good paying jobs are 'down the hill' where you would have to commute. If it was possible, Id probably add Apple Valley to my small list of places where I wouldnt mind settling in a few years.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:56 PM

215 posts, read 985,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
Many of us love the high desert because of the clear skies, the elevation, the crisp air, but I'll admit, most of the good paying jobs are 'down the hill' where you would have to commute. If it was possible, Id probably add Apple Valley to my small list of places where I wouldnt mind settling in a few years.
I agree on that but driving down the hill is not that bad as every says I live in hesperia bought a nice 3000 square ft home for 230k and I drive to colton every day it only takes me 38 minutes I leave at 815 in the morning and the weather is the best no smog,fog,humity,storms,nothing but fresh air

Old 01-21-2008, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booz30 View Post
I drive to colton every day it only takes me 38 minutes
If I'm not mistaken, I believe you take the 215 and that is a sweet commute ... hardly any traffic there unless there's an accident.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:08 AM

215 posts, read 985,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, I believe you take the 215 and that is a sweet commute ... hardly any traffic there unless there's an accident.
YES YOU ARE RIGHT AND THAT 38 MINUTE DRIVE IS WORTH BUYING A HOUSE FOR 230K THAN DOWN THE HILL FOR 400K PLUS

Old 01-21-2008, 08:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,169 times
I live in a fairly nice area of Hesperia and I like it a lot. I love the dry climate. Humidity is so oppressive. Mix it with smog and it makes me sick. I moved to Hesperia 16 years ago and began to recover from the sickness of Los Angeles County living - where I was born and raised.

We have the best tasting water from the ground in the U.S. We won a contest in France to that effect. I've seen the analysis of our water and the quality surpasses all government standards. It's so good, the filter area is being poached by outside entities our political structure might not be able to withstand.

Hesperia has the worst schools - so you can homeschool if you really care about your kids. 4-H is a regular thing here, as are girl and boy scouts and our park district is pretty good. We have a brand new library and TWO In n' Outs.

I live on a newly paved road in a rural area on an acre and a half and have animals - which I enjoy. We have lots of sunshine - perfect for solar energy - put up an awning or plant a Mulberry and you'll cut the heat by 10 - 15 degrees.

It's not everyone's cup of tea. I don't understand the people who move here and cluelessly try to plant lawns and gladiolas. I get offended when they complain because it doesn't work.

Oh yeah, you can have a lawn - if you want to hog all the water it takes to make it look nice, and then mow it every few days so it doesn't go to seed because the heavy sunlight makes it bolt.

Buying here is not a good investment for getting rich quickly. The Drought is an issue that's not going to go away, in fact, it will reach crisis proportions sooner than later.

If you just want to make fast money - stay the Hell away. If you want quality living worth a few extra steps and contribute to a wonderful community, come ahead. Hesperia is a paradise if you can take the time to figure it out.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:46 PM

259 posts, read 1,918,281 times
There Are Two Temperatures Here In The Desert... "very Hot" And "very Cold".

Old 01-22-2008, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERRIE View Post
There Are Two Temperatures Here In The Desert... "very Hot" And "very Cold".
Well ... that's an exaggeration. I'm not arguing that the climate is the same as the coast but ... just this last week we had some mild 60 degree days.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:41 PM

101 posts, read 137,441 times
'You do well investing in dumpy areas that are the next big growth areas on the upswing.'

You don't know what you are talking about. Next big growth? In terms of what jobs? Please. Over 50% of jobs in the IE are/were housing related. Now that housing is tanking who will buy all those crappy homes? And dont even mention an 'upswing'. We are not even close to a bottom. The ie will continue to decline for many years and remain flat for a long time.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvazjr View Post
You don't know what you are talking about.
I guess you've missed all of the commercial construction that's going on.

It always works this way ... people move to an area for cheaper housing. As the population grows, better jobs eventually follow.

Are there great jobs to be had in the high desert now? No ... but eventually there will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties