U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-20-2011, 09:52 AM

25,306 posts, read 33,044,989 times

Advertisements

Excellent!

400 New Jobs to Be Created in Victorville, Calif. - MarketWatch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 11:36 AM

15,237 posts, read 25,509,087 times
Cool, but they couldn't have just used the old Heilig-Meyers distribution center on Amargosa Road off the freeway? I believe that building is vacant and has been for quite some time.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:19 PM

9,257 posts, read 12,389,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Cool, but they couldn't have just used the old Heilig-Meyers distribution center on Amargosa Road off the freeway? I believe that building is vacant and has been for quite some time.
Nah, building new buildings and tearing down old ones creates jobs.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Nah, building new buildings and tearing down old ones creates jobs.
Yeah. That's what they like to do here in my area. There are SO many vacant buildings, and yet Red Lobster can't locate in one of the hundreds of vacant former restaurant buildings. Oh no ... Red Lobster has to build their very own brand new building. Never mind the fact that many of the empty buildings are fairly new themselves.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:23 AM

7,406 posts, read 11,996,431 times
I would think if I were going to invest millions in a business, that it would be my choice where that business should be located, and whether or not to use an old, recycled building. If it made financial sense to reuse someone else's old restaurant, that would be the way I would go, but I would base my decision on my own knowledge, not from a suggestion I read on a web site..!
It's possible those fairly new, empty places are out of business for a reason, like LOCATION...!

Old 09-23-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
I would think if I were going to invest millions in a business, that it would be my choice where that business should be located, and whether or not to use an old, recycled building. If it made financial sense to reuse someone else's old restaurant, that would be the way I would go, but I would base my decision on my own knowledge, not from a suggestion I read on a web site..!
It's possible those fairly new, empty places are out of business for a reason, like LOCATION...!
Not necessarily. The location where RL wants to build a new structure already has several vacant restaurant buildings which are probably no more than 5 years old. This is at the corner of a major intersection.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:32 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,129,730 times
The vacant buildings have competitor cooties ...

Old 09-23-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
The vacant buildings have competitor cooties ...
Maybe. I don't really know why some of these restaurants went out of business because they were always packed and had great food. Corporate decisions, I guess.

We had a Macaroni Grill in Palm Desert which was one of my favorites and there were always people there and on weekends there was a line out the door to get in! Then ... they took it away from us!

Next to go was a Ruby's Diner. Again, a very popular place with good food (I liked the malts!) and that building is sitting vacant in a high traffic area across from The River in Rancho Mirage.

The Bing Crosby's - also across from The River - went out about 2 years ago and that is a new building, probably about 4 years old, and in a high traffic location. But I think it went out because the owners were involved in some type of fraud or tax evasion or something.

There was also a Chili's here. Not my favorite, but it seemed to be a "happening" place. Gone!

Thing is ... most of these buildings are probably no more than 5 years old. If somebody feels they need to build a new building when there are so many vacant already, that's their business. I just think it's a waste of money and an unnecessary raping of the natural land in the valley. I think a lot of people come here for the beauty of the place and to actually see some open spaces. If they keep building on every available piece of land, this place is going to look like Orange County - the very thing most of us moved here to get away from.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:17 PM

9,257 posts, read 12,389,528 times
That's right.

Unfortunately, a lot of these chain places have strict 'building requirements' that purposely don't allow them to move into "any old building", which is why they almost always build new construction.

Inversely, that's why we see old Taco Bell's as tax offices and old El Pollo Loco's as family Mexican restaurants (independents seem to be the only ones willing to take on the old chain building monstrosities).

Old 09-25-2011, 12:10 PM

920 posts, read 785,214 times
What is the pay and what are the benes, if any????/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties