U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 09:44 AM

8 posts, read 4,992 times

Advertisements

Thanks to all those who have added valuable comments, with regards to the UK, employment sucks here too. In my current profession I work in the transport sector and will be facing a 3 month embargo of no work in the three months surrounding the olympics here. Pretty rough of our government to do this to thousands of rail workers when there is no work here. My GF and I have looked into all the visa options also, we are also looking into my gf moving here but she is also having trouble finding work as a teacher as again lack of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 05:40 PM

2,072 posts, read 2,465,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invicta67 View Post
And yet, you need the correct visa that allows you to work but... you've guessed it... you need the job offer to apply for the visa!!
Do you need a visa if you're self employed? Anyone with a computer can design web sites or sell stuff on eBay. Do you need any special permits to do that?

Old 10-22-2011, 06:58 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,026,792 times
Telemarketing is not that bad, really, if you have to do it. I was not my first, second or even third choice, but I did it for quite a long while. You gotta do what you gotta do, ya know? Your training as a body guard sounds very interesting. What do members think? Would that be an in-demand skill in CA?

Old 10-24-2011, 07:38 AM

42 posts, read 38,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
Do you need a visa if you're self employed? Anyone with a computer can design web sites or sell stuff on eBay. Do you need any special permits to do that?
The "visa waiver" we need to visit the US from the UK only allows us to stay for 3 months and I think we are only allowed to be in the US for 6 months of the year.

During such a visit I believe you can conduct meetings/negotiations but cannot earn money.

I would also guess that, as in the UK, you would need an SS (NI in the UK) number even to be self-employed.

Whatever you consider Rich, I would strongly advise you to seek professional guidance.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:23 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,201,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich7797 View Post
Hi I currently live in the uk and want to relocate to california, I seem to be having problems finding work there, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do.

I have a girlfriend in so.cal but we cant be together until I find a job there

Good luck with a 13.4% IE unemployment rate

Old 10-25-2011, 03:46 PM

16,585 posts, read 20,639,373 times
That was recently readjusted to 12.9.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:40 AM

366 posts, read 563,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
ahhh finally the recession is over.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:41 AM

3,116 posts, read 4,104,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwilliam77 View Post
Good luck with a 13.4% IE unemployment rate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danalysd View Post
ahhh finally the recession is over.
It's actually kind of funny how excited I got when I saw that it was half a point lower than the last I looked. Half a point! That's huge!

But it's still incredibly high... Where else would celebrate that we are finally at only 12.9 percent unemployed?

Old 10-26-2011, 03:16 AM

16,585 posts, read 20,639,373 times
Down is the preferred direction, riiiiiiiiiight?

Old 11-06-2011, 11:34 AM

8 posts, read 4,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
Thanks for the input by I already have several websites in various niches, not sure how the U.S government would see that as permanent employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties