Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 10:33 AM

471 posts, read 1,829,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfarm View Post
Temecula is home to the cross wearing crowd if you know what I mean. Even the above poster sort of confirmed that. So, wear a big 'ol cross and talk about how many kids you want and church...then join 24 Hour Fitness. You sound like you would be right at home in Pacific Beach, but that is about 80 mins away. Good luck.
LOL you're too funny. I have co-worker who lives in PB and she loves it. Is it safe there? I have 2 kids and that's the main reason besides housing prices I chose Temecula. I love it here I just wanna make it more... bearable if that's possible. As for the other poster, as to my attitude, I am not raunchy or anything I'm just very opinionated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 11:28 AM

37 posts, read 66,712 times
Well, I can give my opinion. PB is a monster long commute. Is it safe? I would say safe enough. However, since you mentioned relocation I am guessing you are renting. It will be much more expensive. There is a heavy social scene and all that goes along with that i.e. Places go eat open past 10. Perhaps, try Solana Beach some weekend. Go to the Belly Up for a show. That area is more laid back than PB with a great vibe. The Carlsbad area is nice and halfway between San Diego and your work. Good area.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:39 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Have you ever seen the TV show "Campus PD"? PB is a lot like that.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:14 AM

416 posts, read 637,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTripGurl View Post
OK so I'm in my early 30's single mom, I transferred with my job to Temecula from DC and I know it takes some time to get settled but I miss the vibe of my favorite cities (DC and NYC) and the people and the social scene.
Temecula and So Cal in general does not have the 'old skool' feel of east coast cities. Altho the spanish were out here long before the east coast was settled, they were not here in great numbers and left little impact. So you do not have awesome ethnic restaurants unless you want to drive towards LA or SD areas. Nightlife...plenty in Temecula depends on what you want. Old town has several restaurants, bars and danceclubs, and a theater that brings in ballet, dance, music, plays, etc. Pechanga has gambling, a comedy club, and routinely has fights and concerts. Plus they have several dance clubs. There's plenty of dive bars or neighborhood hangouts as well, and don't forget the multitude of wine bars....i mean wineries....just out rancho cal. So unless you really need that big city club feel, why drive?

OTOH, Temecula and SW riverside...it's all new. Literally built in the last 20 years. If you are ok with a drive, Temecula is within 1-2 hours of everything in So Cal. I moved out here for a job in 2002. Don't know if I would 'pick' Temecula again but...it's ok and seems to grow on ya after a while.

So aside from nightlife, this area is a great place for hiking, mtn biking, ez access to several ski resorts (and only 5 hours to mammoth). got a microbrewery in town now too...restaurants are ok. alot of chain(s) but starting to get some good independent stuff.

Quote:
I don't ever anticiapte going to live back east but what I want to know is what have you done to make your transition smooth? I've tried meeting friends but it seems really hard to make friends because I seem to always offend somebody with my bluntness, etc. I joined several Meet-Ups but don't really hear from anyone in between events and the 2 friends I did make I only hear from them once every 2 weeks or something like that. I dance at a local studio and wanted to put together a dance crew but after 1 or 2 calls or rehearsals you don't hear from anyone again. I mean I called and texted and emailed and still no call, a "no I'm not interested" or nothing. Is it me? (don't answer that!)

I love beautiful California but it gets lonely out here with no friends, no family, no honey... And no one MY AGE to share my love of dance with. it just seems like I don't have anything in common with anyone my age here in Temecula!
in other postings you mentioned a son/daughter. elementary, MS, HS?

football, soccer, baseball are huge out here. wrestling (HS and youth) is big at Chap and TV. youth rugby just started last year. "cheer" is huge as well for girls both at the youth and HS levels so your daughter's dance background might work well. depending on music tastes for your boy...there should be no problem finding groups: temecula hosts a bluegrass festival, wineries always are having shows, etc and lots of music stores to reach out to other musicians.

also for your daughter take a look at SCEGA - one of the top gymnastics orgs in the country, and lots of swim groups as well (water polo and regular swim teams)

but don't forget that there are adult sport groups (non-church affiliated too): soccer (women's and coed), softball, and yes...womens rugby.

hanging out at 24hr fitness...well that's a personal choice.

the sierra club in town is relatively new...more older people than young and so activities are focused around that age group

on a final note....temecula is a bit of a bedroom community both for work and play. but try heading down to the farmers market in old town on saturday mornings, and then hitting old town later on in the evening.

and as a final plug...November 5th 1pm, Aztecs v Temecula Mtn Lions at the YMCA (southside of temecula) followed by Pub Games at Kilarney's. there will be plenty of people both single and couples, and kids (babies to teenagers) at the game. Fewer of the kids at the after match.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:38 PM

4 posts, read 6,992 times
I moved to Desert Hot Springs from Frederick, MD. Had an outdoor meet up group I went often in MD. The weather and mountains can be better out here, but it can't replace that particular group, the greenery, or the four seasons. We went out in rain, blizzards, hail, heat, fog whatever.

So far here, the brown and same ol sun. Have to go all the way up a mountain for green and cooler. People complain of humidity if it actually drizzles for like a few seconds. Then complain it's too hot too.

I went to a hike with a big turnout that was posted at a park here. It went well, same kinda thing. People and hiking except in the desert.

Met a Starbucks crowd too. For a week I had to go there to work since the internet didn't come to apartment on time. I work from home. Have a cube in Herndon, VA.

Looking for another hike to attend soon. Plenty on meetup.com.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:29 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,180,022 times
I grew up in L.A. (San Fernando Valley) and later lived in Sacramento and the Washington, DC area and right now am in Brazil (long story). In California, I often barely knew my neighbors. I have visited Temecula recently (have friends there and we looked at second homes). I've run into similar situations. I guess many options are obvious, including joining groups to fit your interests. In some places I got involved in the Sierra Club, or did volunteer work at an animal shelter or took classes or ran (well, walked) with a local "chapter" of the worldwide Hash House Harriers (they run or walk and then drink beer). Depends on your interests and likes/dislkes, of course). You're not going to find museums like in DC nearby, but if you miss the political scene I'm sure you could get involved in local political groups. I'd also try as often as possible to have a day or weekend excursion out of the area, such as to L.A. or San Diego. And in the winter go skiing, or just playing in the snow with the family, and then go home to a warm (relatively) and dry environment, and think about friends back in DC shivering in the cold.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:43 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braille View Post
I moved to Desert Hot Springs

So far here, the brown and same ol sun.
So far? It's been that way for hundreds of thousands of years, so it ain't changing any time soon.

(Keywords bolded and italicized.)

Old 10-15-2011, 04:52 PM

Default Nope don't miss the politics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
I grew up in L.A. (San Fernando Valley) and later lived in Sacramento and the Washington, DC area and right now am in Brazil (long story). In California, I often barely knew my neighbors. I have visited Temecula recently (have friends there and we looked at second homes). I've run into similar situations. I guess many options are obvious, including joining groups to fit your interests. In some places I got involved in the Sierra Club, or did volunteer work at an animal shelter or took classes or ran (well, walked) with a local "chapter" of the worldwide Hash House Harriers (they run or walk and then drink beer). Depends on your interests and likes/dislkes, of course). You're not going to find museums like in DC nearby, but if you miss the political scene I'm sure you could get involved in local political groups. I'd also try as often as possible to have a day or weekend excursion out of the area, such as to L.A. or San Diego. And in the winter go skiing, or just playing in the snow with the family, and then go home to a warm (relatively) and dry environment, and think about friends back in DC shivering in the cold.
wow how on earth did you end up in Brazil? No I do not miss the politics. In DC everything is political to hiring, firing to your next promotion. Most jobs are in the federal government and they all have that bureaucracy thing going on. Nope don't miss it and I won't miss the snow. Getting up an hour early to dig my car to go to work in the winter is an afterthought

Old 10-16-2011, 12:55 AM

22 posts, read 46,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTripGurl View Post
...I've tried meeting friends but it seems really hard to make friends because I seem to always offend somebody with my bluntness, etc. ...
Wow does that describe how I feel, too!

I'm from NYC myself and it's obvious some/many here are turned-off by what they perceive as my "too strong" or "too pushy" personality. It's frustrating. However, I would just as soon not have friends if having friends means I have to change my personality or be with people that I ultimately don't really care for.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly'The Machine'Levene View Post
However, I would just as soon not have friends if having friends means I have to change my personality or be with people that I ultimately don't really care for.
AMEN! I'd rather be myself than try an change for anyone. I was reading on another post and somebody summed it up pretty well that "plain truthfulness and the ability to express genuine behavior" keep good people apart from being friends in CA. I am not over bearing when expressing my opinion I guess I have too many

also, this weekend I had planned a get together and the 2 guys who were supposed to come didn't show up, didn't answer any of my phone calls this week or answer any texts. That is annoying and frustrating! I am sure I'll never here from them again, but geez what's the matter with people calling and saying they can't come or canceling?? We are all adults right?

Last edited by RoadTripGurl; 10-16-2011 at 08:30 AM.. Reason: added info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties