Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 07:37 AM

699 posts, read 1,344,096 times

Advertisements

I have a family member who is moving forward with a purchase at Edgewood in College Park. He believes the prison will eventually be sold (partly due to the over-capacity, partly because it is now surrounded by so many homes).

Is there any truth to that?

For the record, the homes are very nice (and inexpensive) - but I agree the proximity to the prison can be unnerving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 01:13 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,012,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
Is there any truth to that?
If it didn't happen during the housing boom, where land prices were nearly double what they are today, I doubt it will happen in the foreseeable future. I would only buy a house there if they're OK with the prison being there for a long time (which it very likely will be.) To say the prison is surrounded by homes is an exaggeration though. With the exception of the College Park development there's a significant "buffer" between the prison and nearby homes.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:24 PM

20 posts, read 88,049 times
Inmates escape from that prison at least 2 times a year. Just a guesstimate, could be more. I used to live nearby, and the alarm would go off and the helicopters would start circling. Turn on the backyard lights and make sure your sliding doors and windows are closed. Of course there are tons of houses in the area so the odds that *YOUR* house/car will get chosen as a target is pretty low. Also, the police in Chino/Chino Hills are excellent and keep on top of things. Despite the prison and the escapees, this particular area is actually a very safe, nice area. Even with the expansion, I wouldn't even give a second thought to it and I am a worry-wart type of person. There are plenty of negatives to living here, but the prison and safety aren't anywhere near the top of the list in my opinion. View of the prison from your home is the problem of maybe 1% of the entire area.

I agree with Dunbar, the prison isn't going anywhere although there has been talk of it being moved out of the area for years, and i'm sure that talk will go on forever or until the prison is actually moved. There is a huge green lawn surrounding the prison. You can't really see it from the street. What you can see doesn't look like a prison in my opinion. I wouldn't call it an eyesore at all. The area is safe. The police are excellent. The prison is no big deal.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChIoe View Post
Of course there are tons of houses in the area so the odds that *YOUR* house/car will get chosen as a target is pretty low.
I'd bet good money the odds of being burglarized/robbed/assaulted by someone other than an escaped prisoner are about 100,000 times higher. But humans aren't exactly rational when it comes to this sort of thing. And ya, there are literally hundreds of kids and women at Ayala Park exercising every day which is about a block away from the prison.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
I'd bet good money the odds of being burglarized/robbed/assaulted by someone other than an escaped prisoner are about 100,000 times higher. But humans aren't exactly rational when it comes to this sort of thing. And ya, there are literally hundreds of kids and women at Ayala Park exercising every day which is about a block away from the prison.
How would you feel if the siren went off while you (or your spouse) were out walking your little ones in the neighborhood?

Dunno about you, but I'd be concerned.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
Dunno about you, but I'd be concerned.
Then you shouldn't move right next to a prison. Having spent lots of time riding my bike around the area I would not be concerned about it. That area tends to be fairly busy after school so all you'd need to do is head towards the crowd of parents/kids at Ayala park (or directly home if you're still in College Park.) Assuming two prison breaks a year (and I doubt they all make it past the outer fences) the odds of this happening while you're out on a walk are extremely low. If you can afford to live well away from the prison by all means do so. In the inland empire you can have any two of the following 1) Nice/Safe Neighborhood 2) Large House 3) Affordable Home Prices.

Last edited by Dunbar42; 01-03-2013 at 02:53 PM..

Old 01-03-2013, 03:07 PM

121 posts, read 289,922 times
Quote:
In the inland empire you can have any two of the following 1) Nice/Safe Neighborhood 2) Large House 3) Affordable Home Prices.
Murrieta 2009/2010 was #2 safest city in the country and is still top 10, according to FBI stats. 3300+ sq ft homes are ~$250k - 300k right now. Therefore your theory is wrong. All 3 can be had in the IE.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Therefore your theory is wrong. All 3 can be had in the IE.
You sure can. As long as you don't mind a horrendous commute. Thanks for adding useful information to this thread...

Old 01-03-2013, 04:09 PM

121 posts, read 289,922 times
Commute wasn't part of your equation perhaps you should add it as "#4 great commute" and then tell us that Chino is such an easy commute to... where?. I wfh so that's not a factor for me but I believe Murrieta commuting to S.D. is comparable to Chino commuting to either L.A. or O.C.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks for adding useful information to this thread...
Yes. Outside of the knowledge that you "used to ride your bike around there," now I know to run to a crowded area when the sirens go off near the prison!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties