Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 27,310 times

Advertisements

My wife, kids and I live (and rent) in San Joaquin County. We are priced out of desirable areas here and I was looking in to Hemet, CA. Can someone lend some honest opinions of Hemet. We have two kids and want to buy in an affordable, "normal" area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2006, 12:25 AM

39 posts, read 254,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golyath View Post
My wife, kids and I live (and rent) in San Joaquin County. We are priced out of desirable areas here and I was looking in to Hemet, CA. Can someone lend some honest opinions of Hemet. We have two kids and want to buy in an affordable, "normal" area.
Hemet is considered a retirement town. If there's one thing in Hemet you need to watch out for is the elderly behind the wheel of a car, I'm not kidding either. I was coming down the main drag in Hemet (state street) and a little old lady was coming right for me only thing she was driving in my lane and she had no clue, I moved she didn't. Driver beware. Other than that it's a nice little town but drive defensively

Old 09-12-2006, 07:33 PM

35 posts, read 223,980 times
Hemet is getting really crowded. It has quite a bit of shopping there. The main street traffic is getting really bad (Florida St.). The summers can get quite hot as it sits down in a valley surrounded by mountain ranges. Its an ok town but yes there are a lot of retirees living there.

Old 09-16-2006, 01:05 PM

8 posts, read 73,151 times
I lived in Merced for seven years. This town is so much like it you would be amazed. Last I heard, they are now releasing Riverside felons into the area at the rate of 500 per month. My 'source' is word of mouth at the local grocery store, as there is no newspaper. If you like the central valley you will like it here. My hope was to get away from the valley but I didn't make it, as I moved to Hemet......

Old 09-16-2006, 01:13 PM

8 posts, read 73,151 times
As far as cost of living goes, rent is ridiculous. There is no work except in the retirement industries. Most commute to Riverside 35 miles away. Some commute to San Diego an hours commute easily. The inland valley communities of California have become the dumping grounds of "California Proper". That is of the coastal strip. It's a world I didn't know existed until I left the coastal strip some eight years ago. Here's idea of the rent. I live in a one bedroom tiny apartment for 725 a month. The good news is that Edison Electric is much cheaper than PG and E. Food is also cheaper if you shop at the discount food marts. Good luck.

Old 09-20-2006, 02:25 PM
Win

32 posts, read 262,449 times
I have family in Hemet and visit there often enough. It's much cheaper than LA (where I live) but it is a dumpy and dusty little town (but not quite as bad as San Jacinto which is right next to it). You have a lot of retired people there but you also have a lot of low income (aka trashy) people there. Some areas of the city are decent but the town, over all is dead. It is hotter than hell in the summer but very pleasant in the evenings and winters are mild. There really isn't much going on in Hemet though. It's really sleepy due to the older poplulation. The trashy people will really get under your skin after a while. It's not uncommon to see people driving while smoking with babies in the back seat. Disgusting. If I were you, I would try looking into Temecula. A lot more is going on over there. JMO - hope I didn't offend anyone.

Old 09-20-2006, 03:33 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Honest opinion - it's a dump. It's getting nicer, but that's not saying much.

Temecula / Murietta is better. Hot as hell up there.

Old 09-25-2006, 11:52 PM

1 posts, read 27,266 times
Default ?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win View Post
I have family in Hemet and visit there often enough. It's much cheaper than LA (where I live) but it is a dumpy and dusty little town (but not quite as bad as San Jacinto which is right next to it). You have a lot of retired people there but you also have a lot of low income (aka trashy) people there.

You've got to be kidding me! So, low income means trashy?!? Excuse me for saying so, but that is quite an ignorant statement! You should be ashamed of yourself... honestly. I realize the low income areas of town aren't the greatest.. In fact some of these areas are pretty bad, at best. so basically ur saying that poor people are trashy. I might not be what you condsider low income or "trashy" anymore, but my family was very poor when I was little. But I can say (with a great deal of conviction I might add) that my family and I are not trashy people. Next time please consider your words a bit more carefully Win.

And as far as my opinion about Hemet... I just moved here and so far not very impressed. There are much worse places to live though,so I've got no complaints. Temecula/Murrieta are nice places to live but a bit on the expensive side.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:33 PM

32 posts, read 126,012 times
Hemet has changed a lot over that last few years. It is not quite the retirement town it used to be. There are more developers coming in, bringing chains like Marshalls, Pier One etc... The restraunts are coming in too. Although housing is some what more afordable in Hemet than other areas in CA, our crime is increasing at a steady rate and it is very scary. Our schools are good and a few have earned the California Distingushed School honor. Your best bet would be to come for a visit and if you are interested in relocating I would suggest the South East area of Hemet. The schools are better and the neighborhoods are clean and well established. There is a lot of home building going on so you would really have a lot to choose from.

Good luck to you...

Old 11-09-2006, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 27,263 times
Default Hemet's okay....

Hello,

My former husband and our young daughter lived in Rancho San Jacinto for 5 years. We had moved from Carlsbad in order to buy an affordable home. In 1999 we bought a nice home in a better neighborhood of SJ. We were located just 2 blks from Hemet city limits. It actually was a good experience for us. The town really has changed in the last 15 years from being almost strictly for senior citizens to being for families. But everything everyone else said about Hemet is true too. It sometimes does have the "dregs" of society, but what affordable town doesn't? Hemet has almost all the necessary services and shopping, but the mall is quite tiny. I had a good job at the local community college, but I guess getting a good job locally is a typical challenge. Both Hemet and San Jacinto have a total of 3 good libraries. Regarding the climate, you can count on it being 106 degrees from June through October, but it's dry so you can actually do stuff outdoors in it. The winters are beautiful with views of the peaks. Good luck trying to decide.

Melanie, La Mesa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties