Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 12:04 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_scene View Post
Hey, I have a brother and sister on food stamps. And both are college educated too. Of course one has a degree in philosophy, the other in English.
There's a lot one can do with an English degree. It opens plenty of doors.

Philosophy, on the other hand...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 09:58 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,129,951 times
Quote:
You're right, the Moreno Valley does have the look I like. But now that I think about it, it could feel a little isolated out there. I kind of liked all that noise, hustle and bustle of LA proper, especially in Hollywood. I know I'm all over the place, I just like so many areas of greater Los Angeles. Probably a good overall balance for me would be the San Fernando Valley, maybe North Hollywood or Van Nuys. Like Fontucky said, it's all going to feel much browner and drier when you're from the southeast US, especially in the summer.

I can't wait for my trip to Arizona though. Phoenix definitely has the look I like, but I'm just curious if it's a big enough city to make you feel content there. I'll know soon enough. I know one thing, I flew over PHX at night on my way to LA, and it looked huge.
The good thing about So, CA is a lot is just a short drive away.
Say you live in Riverside... You could be at the beach, LA area, the mountains or the dessert in a couple of hours.

But I agree with others... SanBernardino is probably not what you've imagined on the big screen.
Some parts of Highland might be ok.
If you go back to wanting the desert... I'd recommend Palm Desert/Palm Springs area (at least Spring Break if nothing else).

Old 02-26-2012, 09:39 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,018,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
The good thing about So, CA is a lot is just a short drive away.
Say you live in Riverside... You could be at the beach, LA area, the mountains or the dessert in a couple of hours.

But I agree with others... SanBernardino is probably not what you've imagined on the big screen.
Some parts of Highland might be ok.
If you go back to wanting the desert... I'd recommend Palm Desert/Palm Springs area (at least Spring Break if nothing else).
I need to think big and quit this business of cheap living in the middle of nowhere. I'm studying accounting in college, but I took a break this semester to recalibrate my head. But I could easily be done within 2 years, I need to switch it into high gear again.

I wish I could get my parents out of Florida too. My mom, who I actually room with, sold her condo and is sitting on about $50K. But she doesn't want to buy another place in FL, she likes the idea of living out west where it's dry and she can breath easier. She said she's just waiting for me to finish college, I feel like the ball is in my court.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:44 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,926,478 times
It's certainly dry. Especially this season. Spend one Summer on our bone-dry heat, and you'll never be able to stand Fla humidity again.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:02 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,014,359 times
San Bernardino is a toilet.....PERIOD.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:16 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,857,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
San Bernardino is a toilet.....PERIOD.
Having grown up in San Bernardino, I can say there was a time 50 years ago when it was a nice place to live.

Now... well, I'm not sure it is a toilet, but I do think if God decided Earth needed an enema, He might choose San Bernardino for the point of application.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:30 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,239,018 times
Just looking at maps and numbers Hesperia looks like a good value tho a bit out of the way. There's an interesting alternative housing community: Cal-Earth - The California Institute of Earth Art and Architecture

Old 02-29-2012, 02:57 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,068,771 times
Quote:
Does San Bernardino have a brown and dry look to it in the summer? Do the summers feel hot and dry? As you can tell by my dumb user name I quickly came up with, I'm in search of a brown and dry place in the western US. 38 years of living in the swamps of Florida haven driven me to the polar opposite. My other requirement is that I want to be near LA. It's not that I would drive to Hollywood every night, but it sure is nice to know it's an hours drive away (is that about right?). I'm actually leaving for Phoenix, AZ next month to check it out. I like the looks of PHX a lot.
PHX has a lot of hardcore industrial areas that look like this:
auto salvage - Google Maps
I know it's an ugly scene but for some reason I find it appealing. It looks like the final scene in that movie Death Race. I just wish I could find this kind of look closer to LA. Maybe San Berdoo would have the look I want? In google maps it still looks a little green for me but those images were taken in the winter time, you can see snow on the mountains. I thought about Lancaster and the Coachella Valley but they're so isolated and there probably aren't any jobs there. And I don't plan on having kids so I'm not overly concerned about gangs and schools. I can handle myself fine.
AZ is a good thought-tucson, as well as phoenix-and it's 2 hours south of phx, so you can check it out while you're there! otherwise, palmsprings, as others said.....

It's not quite desert, but you could try temecula and murrieta, in south riverside county. the location is suitable for 60 min drives to san diego proper and less than that to north SD county beaches. Desert and mountains are close by, as well. Better than san bernardino, decent air quality, dry enough but not parched dry. I mean, I know FLA is super humid; i come from the east coast originally, but you don't need to go the complete opposite end of the spectrum to enjoy drier temps. I was just in AZ last week, and I love it, but man is it DRY. However, if you are looking for less green, then near palm springs, so you will have the job opportunities. Heck, what about Fresno, for that matter? Bakersfield? All pretty brown, dry and industrial!
Good luck to you-sounds like you are heading in the right direction!

Last edited by lrmsd; 02-29-2012 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-29-2012, 03:48 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,014,359 times
Redlands & loma linda are nice cities. Just avoid east redlands & the area around walmart.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:36 AM

642 posts, read 2,551,085 times
I moved here from Florida and my asthma and allergies are sooo much better. I am not sick as much and don't have to live with my emergency inhaler at all times. The stuff about SB is correct. I would not assume because you can take care of yourself you will be fine anywhere; I have seen that get people into trouble. Moreno Valley and Riverside County might be right. SD is not so far. Definitely a different vibe then LA. Sounds like Phoenix is a good fit though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties