Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 10:05 AM

14 posts, read 67,162 times

Advertisements

Inspired by the Murrietta post, I'd like your input on things I need to know before I buy a home in College Park in Chino. It can be positive or negative, the money hasn't been spent yet! Save me, or welcome me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 12:06 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,482,181 times
I work in Chino, though I don't live there, and I have been in the area you describe.

The only "downer" is that you would have to drive to everything, if that is an issue for you. It is isolated from the rest of the city.

It is semi-rural not far from there, with dairies and some farming, complete with the odors that come with that.

If you can afford something closer to the city core (sounds like you can, if you are thinking of buying a new-to-almost-new home, why not?

I would neither "save" nor "welcome" you, but I would say Chino would be a worthwhile place in which to live, especially if work is not far away. I am basing this on my observations coupled with those I know who actually live or have lived there.

The Murietta post is something of a whinefest, IMHO.

Last edited by mrsltd; 03-08-2013 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 03-08-2013, 04:19 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,012,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
The only "downer" is that you would have to drive to everything, if that is an issue for you. It is isolated from the rest of the city.
It may be isolated from downtown Chino but it's only 5-10 minutes to get to the Chino Spectrum. Eucalyptus (which runs through College Park) has been extended to Ayala Park which takes you to Central Ave. That means that much of the shopping in Chino Hills is conveniently located for College Park residents.

I would say one downside to Chino is going to be the quality of public school system.

The OP already knows about the cow smell and the prison from the College Park thread. I honestly think the area is nicer than Norco or Eastvale for example. Chino Hills is a lot nicer but the housing prices reflect that.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:56 PM

I like the fact that the general area is shaping up to look really bike friendly, do you still ride your bike around the area Dunbar?

I've been to College Park at different times during the day over the past few months about 10 times now, and it just doesn't seem to smell much at all - appears to pass "the smell test", at least compared to Eastvale or Norco. It could be that the homes we are looking at are west of San Antonio Ave, the site of the last cattle farm it appears. All the other cattle farms are east of Euclid, and thus east of College Park. Having said that, I'm not going to disillusion myself and assume it will never smell, especially in the summer, but perhaps the smell (and flies) is a lot better than in nearby other areas.

Anyone knows which way the wind blows?

Old 03-18-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlnvn View Post
do you still ride your bike around the area Dunbar?
I lived in Chino Hills for 8 years but moved to Santa Monica in December. I rode my bike off and on through College Park for about 3 years. This past May-December I rode through College Park 3-4 times per week and can't remember the last time I smelled the cows. In my experience foggy "gloomy" mornings carry the cow smell like nothing else. I could even smell them when I had an office by the Ontario airport on certain foggy mornings. Hot, dry summer days are actually ideal at keeping the cow smell away IME. My guess is that the cow smell happens less than 15-20 days per year in College Park.

That area of Chino is pretty bike friendly if you are comfortable riding in the street with cars. If you're afraid of riding in the street I'd suggest taking up mountain biking since there are plenty of trails in the area.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:50 PM

257 posts, read 491,289 times
I've lived in Chino Hills for 20 years, and remember the cow smells several times a year in the early years. Frankly, I don't recall the cow smell in the last year or two. We live about 10-12 miles from Ayala Park.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islander03 View Post
I've lived in Chino Hills for 20 years, and remember the cow smells several times a year in the early years.
From 2004-2012 I literally never smelled the cows in Chino Hills living by Peyton and Chino Hills Pkwy. At my office in Ontario the frequency of the cow smell went down about 75% from 2004-2009. During the housing boom years many of the dairy farmers sold their land and moved away.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:12 PM

We're close to renting out a place to try out the area before we buy. Anyone know what the job market is like for a software engineer in Inland Empire? Currently work near Irvine, not something I would like to do much longer if I move to Chino.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:03 PM

When we saw these homes in October, the asking price was mid $300k. We're in May now, I'm still on the waiting list, and they've reached upper $400k - low $500k. Just ridiculous, guess we'll be content renting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties