Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 12:41 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times

Advertisements

I'm in Rancho C. & although there's been a lot of construction in the last 20 yrs, there's still not that much to do in my opinion. But I can't drive far everyday, so I have to make do with what I have here. Overall, I'm happy with where live, but there could be a little more.

What do you guys think? What do you wish was out here in this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 06:52 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Everything I need is here in the IE, including family. But my idea of a good time is tending my citrus trees, exploring the Mojave, or having a meal at some random hole in the wall Mexican place or a hearty breakfast at a local independent diner. I don't even go to movie theaters.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:19 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,885,496 times
Crowded freeways, sprawling houses that all look alike as far as the eye can see, and big boulevards with the same chain stores and restaurants repeating every few miles with acres of parking lots.

The IE is the bane of urbanity. No creativity. No charm. Hideously wasteful. I'm quite curious as to what will happen to this place in 400 or so years when oil is scarce and cars are no longer a viable transportation option. The IE is unfixable; the very definition of an unsustainable region.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:48 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I'm in Rancho C. & although there's been a lot of construction in the last 20 yrs, there's still not that much to do in my opinion. But I can't drive far everyday, so I have to make do with what I have here. Overall, I'm happy with where live, but there could be a little more.

What do you guys think? What do you wish was out here in this area?
If you are bored there, don't ever move anywhere smaller.

-David, the guy who has had the pleasure of living places where sniffing paint and starting fires are pastimes.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:16 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,714,500 times
Yeah, I was gonna say I found it hard to be bored in Ontario when I lived there. We went all over hell though.

I found Ontario to be the "ain't" place though kinda.

OC didn't like us cause we ain't OC. IE didn't like us cause we mighta smelled a little like LA I guess. And LA didn't like us cause we was to close to IE.

Coulda been worse though, I coulda been in Irwindale.

My boss lived in RC though, and liked it. I take his word it's a nice town still.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:19 AM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Crowded freeways, sprawling houses that all look alike as far as the eye can see, and big boulevards with the same chain stores and restaurants repeating every few miles with acres of parking lots.

The IE is the bane of urbanity. No creativity. No charm. Hideously wasteful. I'm quite curious as to what will happen to this place in 400 or so years when oil is scarce and cars are no longer a viable transportation option. The IE is unfixable; the very definition of an unsustainable region.
Oh geeze, and happy friday to you as well sunshine.

lol

Old 03-22-2013, 09:24 AM

361 posts, read 748,402 times
Yeah, the IE had such potential. I still maintain there are very places in the country with the kinds of mountain views you get there, or even while just driving through.

There are some great areas, but overall, it is sad what has happened to the place. For a brief period, I lived in Upland in the early 80's. Drove through there a month ago and did not recognize a thing.

Ahhhh, progress.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:36 AM

34 posts, read 88,979 times
Quote:

Wow, you are so off the mark it's incredible. We have a ton of diversity here if you spend the time to look. Everything you said could be said about Southern California as a whole if you were ignorant and never spent time living here. Just like LA has great aspects, so does the IE...you just have to spend time to discover them.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:39 AM

34 posts, read 88,979 times
try meetup.com, craigslist or the community calendar in RC...There is TONS of things to do. Keep searching, exploring and post back here what you find. Sometimes i just like to take long walks, or bike rides and stop into stores that interest me...you would be AMAZED at how many interesting people live here (soak in the best weather on the planet, while your at it!)

Old 03-22-2013, 12:24 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times
As I'm really thinking about it, I guess there's just enough out here at minimum to stay entertained. We have the sports arena, little performing arts theatre, libraries, enough movie theatres, comedy club, bowling alley, various places with tennis courts, tons of great restaurants, nice shopping malls although they can never be big enough for me.

If there was at least one big, nice natural history museusm & a nice, big amusement park like a combo between Magic Mountain & Disneyland with a bit of Seaworld, I'd be really happy! I'd also be happy with another nice seafood restaurant such as Bubba Gump's or something else. I'd also be happy if there was a Bloomingdale's and Nordstrom dept stores & 10+ more stores/unique shops.

Quote:
...The IE is the bane of urbanity. No creativity. No charm. Hideously wasteful. I'm quite curious as to what will happen to this place in 400 or so years when oil is scarce and cars are no longer a viable transportation option. The IE is unfixable; the very definition of an unsustainable region.
In 400 yrs?! We'll all be long dead, so who cares about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
If you are bored there, don't ever move anywhere smaller.

-David, the guy who has had the pleasure of living places where sniffing paint and starting fires are pastimes.
Don't get me wrong, I do love living here. And there's just enough to do to stay in town on any given weekend. I live in one of the hearts of the city, so it's nice. I'm not an outdoorsy as in camping/hiking type of person nor am I the bar/club scene type. There's been quite a few times I've browsed Target or the bookstore just to get out of the house. It doesn't take that much to make me happy. I do miss Borders incredibly though. I like going to the movies & there's enough theatres around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties