Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 01:37 PM

2 posts, read 7,061 times

Advertisements

Hello all... I am interviewing for a position at Loma Linda University Medical Center but am not at all familiar with the area. We live in Atlanta now and have been out West just occasionally to visit. This would be a big move and have to be really worth it as we have essentially no family there. My husband and I are in our mid-20's and do not have kids yet. We are open to moving, and have wanted to move but were originally thinking about Miami. We come from varied family backgrounds, he is from South America and I am from Atlanta. We'd like to find an area that we can settle in: has good schools, is well educated, diverse, families our age, etc. I am in healthcare and he has a technology background (he would need to find a new job after we move). We don't have to live right in Loma Linda if there are better areas...but any insight on this would be extremely helpful and appreciated! Also, any specific areas that you guys would recommend for us to see when coming to interview would be helpful!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 02:18 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,788,421 times
You'd best learn to like hot, dry and windy.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:17 PM

9 posts, read 29,903 times
you will love loma linda. I Lived there for 4 years and living there was great. It is a university town /city owned by the seventh day adventist church and almost everyone that live there are connected in some ways to the hospital/ medical center or the church. It is super safe and people there are extremely nice. You will love it there.

The good:
- Super safe
- nice people
- 20 min- 1 hour from beaches, Los angeles, amusement parks, or anything really you are into
- Great school system for when you start having kids
- healthy lifestyle
- Diverse

Potential Bads:
- not so much of a social life if you are not adventist( SDA)
- Expensive homes ( less expensive than LA though)
- its in the desert

Good luck with your move. PM me if I can answer any other specific questions you may have

Last edited by LLUmom; 04-15-2013 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 04-15-2013, 05:16 PM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,125,684 times
Just google maps the hospital address and use satellite view. See if you can spot some areas that look nice and then zoom in. Its not as green as Atlanta,but, there are some mature neighborhoods. The Redlands-Loma Linda commute is not bad to me. Your husband can job search at ESRI and there are other companies and government agencies that use IT departments.
Welcome!

Old 04-15-2013, 06:19 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,788,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLUmom View Post
Potential Bads:

- its in the desert
No it isn't.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:42 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,996,949 times
Loma Linda also isn't 20 minutes from Ontario much less LA or beaches.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:39 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,515,407 times
The only thing I'd worry about is the potential for crime to spill over from San Bernardino or Rialto...but Loma Linda itself is nice. I've always preferred Redlands, its neighbor, slightly more.

You don't have to live in Loma Linda itself. There is Redlands, Yucaipa, North Fontana, Rancho Cucamonga, Upland, etc, all within a short drive most days.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
Loma Linda also isn't 20 minutes from Ontario much less LA or beaches.
I said its 20min to 1hour

Old 04-17-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
No it isn't.
it's got cactus growing around and compared to other areas in SCal such as San Diego - its a desert relatively speaking

Old 04-18-2013, 02:55 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,515,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLUmom View Post
it's got cactus growing around and compared to other areas in SCal such as San Diego - its a desert relatively speaking
You don't technically hit "the desert" until you're up over the Cajon Pass on I-15 or out past the San Gorgonio Pass on I-10. Above the Cajon Pass you enter the Mojave Desert. East of the San Gorgonio Pass you enter the Sonoran Desert.

Geography -- learn it and love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties