U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 01:02 PM

2 posts, read 10,771 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Boston (hell) , moved to Florida (beautiful but too humid), then the Dallas area for my job. I retired and moved to the desert (Palm Springs area) 2 years ago. I find the summers more reasonable, weatherwise, than Texas due to the drier climate. The sky is always dark blue. The air is clean and the water plentiful and the traffic almost non-existant. Granted real estate and gas is high, but the lifestyle is so much more desirable here. Dallas real estate taxes are HUGE compared to most of the country. Try $7600 yr on a 200K condo. Nice in the desert to pick my own fruit and swim outside most of the year too. Real estate is also chaeaping in the crash. ..upwards to 50% off. I won't return to any of the earlier places to live. Great retirement spot. BTW I went back to Dallas for Thanksgiving and got my first cold in 2 years. Keep the hail, snow, cold gray skies, high taxes and pollution..Iam done with it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 03:06 PM

15,607 posts, read 38,796,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySilvia View Post
I grew up in Boston (hell) , moved to Florida (beautiful but too humid), then the Dallas area for my job. I retired and moved to the desert (Palm Springs area) 2 years ago. I find the summers more reasonable, weatherwise, than Texas due to the drier climate. The sky is always dark blue. The air is clean and the water plentiful and the traffic almost non-existant. Granted real estate and gas is high, but the lifestyle is so much more desirable here. Dallas real estate taxes are HUGE compared to most of the country. Try $7600 yr on a 200K condo. Nice in the desert to pick my own fruit and swim outside most of the year too. Real estate is also chaeaping in the crash. ..upwards to 50% off. I won't return to any of the earlier places to live. Great retirement spot. BTW I went back to Dallas for Thanksgiving and got my first cold in 2 years. Keep the hail, snow, cold gray skies, high taxes and pollution..Iam done with it.

I couldn't agree more! And it's nice to see a fellow Coachella Valley desert rat on here!

Old 11-29-2007, 11:42 PM

3,852 posts, read 12,251,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loyaltubist View Post
Just remember the going rate for admission to Disneyland is 65 bucks these days!
Actually a park hopper ticket (probably the best value for your money for one day) is 93 bucks now.

Old 11-30-2007, 05:59 PM

5 posts, read 20,603 times
Default Texas vs. So Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess13 View Post
[SIZE=2] Oh and the restaurants and fast food out there do not compare to the ones in CA. I’ve had better barbeque at The Pit in South Central LA than in TX, and the hamburgers, Please! Whataburger has nothing on IN-N-OUT. [/SIZE]
OK Jess, I'll give you the humidity and cold comments as being absolutely true, however you weren't down in Austin. The summer humidity is still bad though. I do have to take exception to your Restaurant comment. Admittedly, In-n-Out is better than the Whataburger chain. But Barbecue down in Central Texas can't be matched out here in Cali. The County Line is an experience even before you get the great barbecue. And for German Food, head out to Fredricksburg and you won't find a comparative LA restaurant. And of course, all of the chains we have out here (Tony Romas, Chilis, Applebees, Outback, etc.) probably were started by Dallas companies. That being said, I still like it out here and I highly recommend living out here.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:49 PM

Um, not to start a "rib war" or anything, but I have to say I prefer Tony Roma's ribs over County Line or Rudy's any day! Rudy's wasn't kidding when they put up the slogan "The Worst Barbecue in Texas". I like ribs that fall off the bone - not the kind where you practically break your front teeth off trying to pull the meat off and it still doesn't come off

Old 11-30-2007, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booz30 View Post
YES IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT, BY THE WAY DID YOU LIVE IN GTOWN OR ROUND ROCK
Killeen, TX. But I spent a lot of time in Austin. I have great memories of the bars on 6th street. I turned legal drinking age twice and had both my 19th and 21st birthday parties down there.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Um, not to start a "rib war" or anything, but I have to say I prefer Tony Roma's ribs over County Line or Rudy's any day! Rudy's wasn't kidding when they put up the slogan "The Worst Barbecue in Texas". I like ribs that fall off the bone - not the kind where you practically break your front teeth off trying to pull the meat off and it still doesn't come off
Well Tony Roma's is probably the best chain ribs you'll find. But if you travel, there is way better. The Rendevous in Memphis is a must for rib fans, and Mikeska's in Temple, TX is all around great barbecue if you really want to get out into the boondocks.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:34 PM

83 posts, read 328,627 times
yeah, but season passes are only 120.00 and it's a magical experience every time.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:39 PM

83 posts, read 328,627 times
I have moved from Southern Cali to Texas and am moving back asap. I am dead-miserable here in TX. One responder is so right the only thing cheaper here are the homes, but Property tax is so high in Texas that the homes in Cali become more affordable than you even realize. Food, Clothing, and just about everything is Rediculous apples are 189/LB in Texas and only .69Cents / Lb in Cali. I cant take it anymore... Produce even taste better like they said.
Plus the mountain view from every kitchen window is too spectacular to pass up.
I miss Cali so much and cannot wait to move back. The only downside to Cali is it is become over crowded with border crossers. Your children will learn to speak spanish in elementary now.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellypink View Post
I have moved from Southern Cali to Texas and am moving back asap. I am dead-miserable here in TX. One responder is so right the only thing cheaper here are the homes, but Property tax is so high in Texas that the homes in Cali become more affordable than you even realize. Food, Clothing, and just about everything is Rediculous apples are 189/LB in Texas and only .69Cents / Lb in Cali. I cant take it anymore... Produce even taste better like they said.
Plus the mountain view from every kitchen window is too spectacular to pass up.
I miss Cali so much and cannot wait to move back. The only downside to Cali is it is become over crowded with border crossers. Your children will learn to speak spanish in elementary now.
Hurry up and get back here, girl!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties