Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 11:42 PM

1 posts, read 5,989 times

Advertisements

Dane Anthony is looking to contact Erin or Cris Baker in Blythe. E-Mail me at [EMAIL="nascar48@nemont.net"]nascar48@nemont.net[/EMAIL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 5,881 times
Twinkle toes,
Is any of the Burris family left in Blythe? Linda Rae was a friend of mine at ASU.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:14 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Add me to the list of people who is not impressed with Blythe either--------------even the city name suggests blight.

Frankly; Quartzsite (10 miles away) on my side of the river has a better overall vibe.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:35 PM

27,344 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Is there life in Blythe? Just kidding. I know someone who lives in Quartzite and works in Blythe....makes Calif wages in an Az town!

Old 12-10-2008, 04:39 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revyjf View Post
Twinkle toes,
Is any of the Burris family left in Blythe? Linda Rae was a friend of mine at ASU.
Sorry, I don't know anyone in Blythe as my stomping grounds are Palm Desert, La Quinta and Palm Springs.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:45 PM

3 posts, read 14,981 times
I grew up in Blythe and left in 1950 when entering the Korean War, but never returned for more than brief visits. Blythe is surrounded by a lot of desert solitude, if you like solitude, and some people do. With a lot of desert in every direction, there are many niches to explore in the spring, fall and winter, but summer temperatures are sizzling, so it would be wiser to spend as much indoor air-conditioned time as possible. Out in the desert, one can see packrat nests, jack rabbits, deer, lizards, sidewinders, other rattlers, many birds and a variety of other snakes. On one rare occasion, down toward Yuma, I caught rare sight of three peccaries. Blythe, because of all the irrigation, had the most prolific insect and spider population that I have seen anywhere. I think that it could lay claim to being the black widow capital of the United States, but I never felt threatened by any. Between Ehrenberg and Parker, I saw wild burros. The Palo Verde Valley is the only place that I have ever seen ground owls and ground bees, and I thought that it phenomenal that one could dig down ten feet and get water, very brackish water. The Colorado River is the only place I ever saw Buffalo fish. I bcame familiar with the botanical names of all the cacti in the surrounding Arizona and California deserts. I was always amazed that desert plants could survive with so little water in such high heat. One does not need commercial entertainment if one learns to entertain oneself. There are many mountains to climb and to explore, and just about every type of geological formation --sedimentary, metamorphic and volcanic -- can be discovered. I do not miss the sweltering summer humidity, dust, insecticide spraying and feeding operations in the valley, but I have retained a certain nostalgia for the surrounding desert areas. Every place has its disadvantages. I presently live in the Missouri Ozarks, not far from where a great grandfather was born and reared. When I first saw this area, I thought it looked like one big park, but I hate the chiggers, ticks, winter snow, sleet and ice storms, and gardening is a losing battle against the weeds. As for Blythe schools, I thought that I received a good education. Most of the teachers were good teachers, and I qualified to enter and succeed in earning degrees at UCLA-UCR and USC. School is an opportunity to learn. Unfortunately, too many students do not avail themselves of that opportunity. Even though the Blythe public library was small, the librarian went out of her way to order any book I requested from lending libraries, so Blythe was not as culturally isolated as one might think. Whether one considers a community a dead end or an opportunity is all relative to one's personal perspective and willingness to learn on one's own. I am a product of having been reared in Blythe and its surrounding desert. Perhaps, I was lucky in not having the temptation of depending on commercial entertainment to amuse myself.

Last edited by Jack W. Ward; 01-05-2009 at 09:01 PM..

Old 01-05-2009, 09:10 PM

3 posts, read 14,981 times
I grew up in Blythe and left in 1950 when entering the Korean War, but never returned for more than brief visits. Blythe is surrounded by a lot of desert solitude, if you like solitude, and some people do. With a lot of desert in every direction, there are many niches to explore in the spring, fall and winter, but summer temperatures are sizzling, so it would be wiser to spend as much indoor air-conditioned time as possible. Out in the desert, one can see packrat nests, jack rabbits, deer, lizards, sidewinders, other rattlers, many birds and a variety of other snakes. On one rare occasion, down toward Yuma, I caught rare sight of three peccaries. Blythe, because of all the irrigation, had the most prolific insect and spider population that I have seen anywhere. I think that it could lay claim to being the black widow capital of the United States, but I never felt threatened by any. Between Ehrenberg and Parker, I saw wild burros. The Palo Verde Valley is the only place that I have ever seen ground owls and ground bees, and I thought that it phenomenal that one could dig down ten feet and get water, very brackish water. The Colorado River is the only place I ever saw Buffalo fish. I bcame familiar with the botanical names of all the cacti in the surrounding Arizona and California deserts. I was always amazed that desert plants could survive with so little water in such high heat. One does not need commercial entertainment if one learns to entertain oneself. There are many mountains to climb and to explore, and just about every type of geological formation --sedimentary, metamorphic and volcanic -- can be discovered. I do not miss the sweltering summer humidity, dust, insecticide spraying and feeding operations in the valley, but I have retained a certain nostalgia for the surrounding desert areas. Every place has its disadvantages. I presently live in the Missouri Ozarks, not far from where a great grandfather was born and reared. When I first saw this area, I thought it looked like one big park, but I hate the chiggers, ticks, winter snow, sleet and ice storms, and gardening is a losing battle against the weeds. As for Blythe schools, I thought that I received a good education. Most of the teachers were good teachers, and I qualified to enter and succeed in earning degrees at UCLA-UCR and USC. School is an opportunity to learn. Unfortunately, too many students do not avail themselves of that opportunity. Even though the Blythe public library was small, the librarian went out of her way to order any book I requested from lending libraries, so Blythe was not as culturally isolated as one might think. Whether one considers a community a dead end or an opportunity is all relative to one's personal perspective and willingness to learn on one's own. I am a product of having been reared in Blythe and its surrounding desert. Perhaps, I was lucky in not having the temptation of depending on commercial entertainment to amuse myself.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:42 AM

125 posts, read 440,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Hmmmm ... my license expires in 2010. By that time we should have several million more people in the Coachella Valley, where I live. I'm gonna have to keep Blythe DMV in mind! It's only about an hour and 15 to 30 minutes from where I live.

Thanks - I like you too!!!
Several Million more people?

Wow!

Old 01-06-2009, 07:58 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportBorn View Post
Several Million more people?

Wow!
I was kidding about millions.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:31 AM

1 posts, read 5,692 times
Can you Imagine ? I am taking my girlfriend who has lived in France most of her life, I didn't know how to describe Blythe, so after a while, I asked her with a wide smile in my face, have you seen the movie Laurence of Arabia ? well, you are going to see reeeeeeaaaaaaalllll desert!!!!!!!! just like in the movie...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties