Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 10:03 PM

4 posts, read 10,404 times

Advertisements

Good ol' Victorville...she ain't what she used to be!

Lots of crime! I mean EVERYWHERE! Most places have "safe areas", but not here! Three break ins and two home invasion robberies in my neighborhood just last night. Scared the living hell out of me and my girlfriend.

I love California to pieces but this bullet-dodging lifestyle just not worth it anymore! If I am going to live in this state and pay the kind of taxes I have to just to live here then I don't want to dodge bullets! That's horse crap!

I work at the old George Air Force Base which is now called the "Southern California Logistics Airport"...

I would love to live in Temecula or Corona but that doesn't make sense, strategically. I need to be in the High Desert so I'm looking west toward Palmdale or Lancaster or one of the smaller communities over there. Palmdale and Lancaster combined have about 1/3 the crime Victor Valley does.

Even Apple Valley is dangerous now

Lancaster/Palmdale has plenty of issues but nowhere near as bad as Victor Valley. I have been checking this crime map for the past 4 weeks and it has pretty much stayed consistent with some dips in the Lancaster/Palmdale side. Crime goes down to almost nothing once you cross to the west side of Highway 14 in Palmdale/Lancaster.

Here in Victimville, it doesn't matter which side of the 15 you live on, you're fair game either way.

Lancaster has a nicer downtown, nice roads, nice theaters and Palmdale has a mall with decent shopping, a Yard House, nice hotels. I wish I would have looked into this area years ago!
Attached Thumbnails
Probably going to get out of Victorville soon!-8_31crime.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 05:23 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,765 times
The crime in Victorville is horrendous!!! where did you get this crime map, Mike?

Old 09-05-2013, 11:11 PM

10 posts, read 34,745 times
Have you looked in Pinon Hills or Phelan? Check this thread out on Lancaster/Palmdale area: Lancaster/Palmdale safe neighborhoods?

Old 09-06-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calindy59 View Post
Have you looked in Pinon Hills or Phelan? Check this thread out on Lancaster/Palmdale area: Lancaster/Palmdale safe neighborhoods?

I have a brother in Lancaster. He's lived in Palmdale too. Where he lives there's hardly ever any crime. In both neighborhoods he's had lots of retirees, lots of cops (LAPD, LASD), military and lots of regular people like nurses, secretaries, doctors and teachers. He lives on the west side of the 14 in 93536 zip code. In Palmdale, he lived in 93551 zip code. Same deal.

Last time I was visiting my brother out there (early August 2013) he had a real estate buddy over visiting and he said that the price increase in homes on the west sides of both cities is driving the Section 8 renters and other riff-raff out. He didn't specify where "out" was, but I checked some real estate websites and homes in the Victorville area are anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 of what they are in Lancaster/Palmdale.

Mike, I'm still interested in where you got that crime map!

Old 09-06-2013, 11:13 PM

4 posts, read 10,404 times
map is from crimemapping.com. am i allowed to post that here?

Old 09-11-2013, 12:29 PM

211 posts, read 373,200 times
The crime isnt the worst thing about victorville. The worst thing is its victorville

Old 09-11-2013, 12:54 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,851,924 times
I think the worst thing about desert living is the distance from major cities. So close yet so far.

Some people like it--but some people can't take it.

It's the worst place in the world if you can't take the isolation but moved there due to cheap housing and are stuck there.

The high crime rates in desert areas are likely partly caused by frustrated, bored individuals who have no job, no opportunity, and no entertainment.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:06 PM

211 posts, read 373,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
I think the worst thing about desert living is the distance from major cities. So close yet so far.

Some people like it--but some people can't take it.

It's the worst place in the world if you can't take the isolation but moved there due to cheap housing and are stuck there.

The high crime rates in desert areas are likely partly caused by frustrated, bored individuals who have no job, no opportunity, and no entertainment.
Desert living seems like a pretty cool concept. Living in Barstow, victorville, apple valley, adelanto, etc. etc. seems like just about the worst thing ever.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion_Exchange View Post
Desert living seems like a pretty cool concept. Living in Barstow, victorville, apple valley, adelanto, etc. etc. seems like just about the worst thing ever.

My brother seems to like living in West Lancaster pretty well. He loves those desert sunrises and sunsets. If I leave Studio City, I will probably move to Santa Clarita, which many say is "desert" also.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
In Victorville's case, it's a certain class of people who got gentrified out of LA County and pushed to the exurban fringes of So Cal and, unfortunately, took their low-class lifestyle with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties