Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 02:01 AM

2 posts, read 7,411 times

Advertisements

I just moved here to Chino Hills from NYC and unfortunately I got a job all the way in Torrance. I start this week, please help me figure out my schedule how to commute to and from work!
So luckily my working hours aren't THAT bad, according to my California friends, which is 10 AM to 6:30 PM. What time should I leave my house, of course away from traffic, and what time should I leave Torrance to get back home ???

I'm so clueless....I heard Cali traffic can be worse than NYC so I'm extremely nervous....PLUS I am a beginner driver....

Thank you so much !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 10:36 PM

39 posts, read 193,078 times
Default Commuting from Chino Hills to Torrance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellielicious View Post
I just moved here to Chino Hills from NYC and unfortunately I got a job all the way in Torrance. I start this week, please help me figure out my schedule how to commute to and from work!
So luckily my working hours aren't THAT bad, according to my California friends, which is 10 AM to 6:30 PM. What time should I leave my house, of course away from traffic, and what time should I leave Torrance to get back home ???

I'm so clueless....I heard Cali traffic can be worse than NYC so I'm extremely nervous....PLUS I am a beginner driver....

Thank you so much !!
Welcome! California traffic can be bad but with as much as I travel, I can tell you NYC is worse. Sign up for The Tollroads! You will not always need to use it but trust me...it will save your sanity more times than not. Take the 71 South to 91 West. (I listen to KFI-640 AM Radio station which does traffic reports on the 1/2 hour). Watch traffic flow as you will need to decide whether to use the 91 toll lanes as you get closer to the Hwy 241. Take the 91 all the way to Torrance.

Give yourself two hours minimum until you are comfortable in "reading" the traffic. Watch the electronic signage for construction and traffic alerts. If you can get a car pooler to travel with you...well you will be sitting much sweeter. Practice patience and try never to engage in even the mildest road rage as there is always someone out there willing to take it to the extreme.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:23 AM

4,536 posts, read 10,578,028 times
According to GPS its 49 miles and will take 58 minutes...right now. At 1023pm on a Sunday night.

IMO, you have completely lost your mind.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:06 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,993,563 times
If you leave at 8:30-8:45am it won't be that bad taking the 71 to the 91. After 7pm it shouldn't be bad either except sometimes on Fridays. I used to live in Chino Hills and it would take me about 75 minutes to get to LAX if I left at 9am. Still, a 100 mile a day commute is a LOT of time to spend in your car given that it sounds like you could've lived anywhere.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:18 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,757,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellielicious View Post
Step 1: Move closer to Torrance. I'd start looking in, ohhhh, Torrance.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:21 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,455,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Step 1: Move closer to Torrance. I'd start looking in, ohhhh, Torrance.
Defintely.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:58 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,536,675 times
Aww man that is awful but not the worst! I have met some crazy super commuters out here! I'd give myself 2 hours to be safe until I really learned the 91. I've taken the 91 a few times just between Gardena and Bellflower and it was nuts as early as 2:45pm. I used to think it would be feasible to rent an apartment in Fullerton but that will not happen.

I'm assuming you rented. Tough it out until your lease is up OR if you rented with a big name complex company they will usually let you transfer to a closer property with minimal fees before your lease is up.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:41 PM

2 posts, read 7,411 times
Thank you everyone...but unfortunately I moved to Cali so that I can be with my family again and it just happens they live in Chino Hills and it just so happens that the best job offer I got was the one in Torrance....

BUT! I've been commuting for the past 2 weeks now and well it's not that bad at all! I take the 57 and 91. 57 is not bad AT ALL. NO CARS ! But the problem lies in the 91.....but then again, it's not as horrible as you all think!

I heard a lot of people commute for at least an hour when you live in Cali..... I guess that's not the case over here???

Old 10-31-2013, 07:58 PM

39 posts, read 193,078 times
Actually many commute 2 or more hours believe it or not! So glad it is going well for you.

Diana

Old 10-31-2013, 11:25 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,993,563 times
Have you tried taking the 71 down to the 91? Or do you live up by the 60? In my experience the 60 is slow in the morning especially near the 57 interchange. Then the 57 slows as you get on the 91. I actually avoided taking the 91 for the first couple years I live in Chino Hills because everyone said it was so bad. Then I tried it one day and it flowed better than the 10 or 60.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties