U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 01:33 PM

15,230 posts, read 25,308,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by POhdNcrzy View Post
Well the OP dropped off a few years back but the beat goes on I guess!!

(Don't worry guys, TwinkleToes is gonna DANCE her way around any earthquakes!)
Damn straight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 03:07 PM

2 posts, read 6,933 times
Default La Quinta Cove

Before moving to any area, check Megan's Law on the Internet.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:20 AM

7 posts, read 30,572 times
Default Far better than back east

My wife and I are in our 40's, transplants from Georgia. We moved to La Quinta from the western suburbs of Atlanta back in November 2007, and we couldn't be happier. In stark contrast to the area of the country we moved from, the desert is phenomenally beautiful, safe and aside from housing costs (which are now falling nationwide), surprisingly affordable.

In Georgia, we had to drive no less than ten to fifteen miles just to find the nearest Wal-Mart (I know that's hard for you natives here to believe), and along with the unpredictable weather, high humidity, archaic standard of living and barbaric, back-woods attitudes, we could have moved practically anywhere and found it more appealing. But we chose the Coachella valley, not for Palm Springs, although the city does have a great deal of name recognition, but rather for the potential to live in an area where we could engage in outdoor activities year round and be insulated from the high crime, traffic and other disgusting nuances of life in the big city.

Our first choice was Florida, and being a Jimmy Buffet parrothead I had always wanted to settle down in a little beach front community somewhere. But having lived there I knew that it was just a flatter, more humid version of Georgia. So we started researching places with seasonably warmer climatology compared to the rest of the country. We checked out Key West, Phoenix, Albuquerque, San Antonio, New Orleans, LA and San Diego before finally settling on the valley. My wife is a nurse and just in terms of average salary for her profession, she earns considerably more here than she could anywhere else, which factored heavily in our decision. We love it here. It's generally warmer in the valley during the winter than it is even in the Florida keys (I researched the geographic monthly averages in both places). Crime here in the valley, by comparison to the Atlanta metropolitan area is almost non-existent. My wife and I like to watch the evening news just to see what didn't happen in the valley today! The scenery is inexpressibly breathtaking. Everyone I've sent pictures to back east is in awe of this place. Our monthly heating and cooling bills are significantly lower than they were in Georgia. And although gas prices are steeper here, we drive so much less that we actually spend quite a bit less than we use to on gas. The people are fantastic. So far we have yet to encounter those snobbish, extravagantly wealthy elitists that are stereotypically portrayed in the media. Oh yes, there is a lot of money here, that's obvious, but there is also the strong presence of a very laid back atmosphere here, the kind that you might expect to find at any carribean island resort, so wealthy or not, most people here have an "I'm on vacation" mindset, so I don't think anybody really takes notice of who you are or what you do or have. Either that, or they're too absorbed in themselves to care!

Are there certain cities here to avoid? I'm not qualified to appraise the relative safety of a particular area, except for the neighborhood we live in, which is very safe indeed. I've hear alot of negative things about Coachella, Mecca, DHS, Cat City and Indio, but compared to Douglasville, Ga? (AKA redneck economic depression central) please! There's a website called Moderator cut: link to a competitors site removedthat provides demographic information on several hundred thousand cities in the nation, and all the desert cities are listed on the site. If you need up to date crime stats, COL stats, census info, et cetera, it's a great resource. In our assessment, when we moved here we struck gold. We've never found or have been anywhere like this. Everytime I step outside my front door and the first thing see are snowcapped mountains encircling me with palm trees silhouetted against them, I'm awestruck. We live in a quiet little neighborhood in paradise, and we'll never leave. Viva la So Cal!

Last edited by Yac; 03-16-2009 at 09:03 AM..

Old 03-06-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qballnv View Post
My wife and I are in our 40's, transplants from Georgia. We moved to La Quinta from the western suburbs of Atlanta back in November 2007, and we couldn't be happier. In stark contrast to the area of the country we moved from, the desert is phenomenally beautiful, safe and aside from housing costs (which are now falling nationwide), surprisingly affordable.

In Georgia, we had to drive no less than ten to fifteen miles just to find the nearest Wal-Mart (I know that's hard for you natives here to believe), and along with the unpredictable weather, high humidity, archaic standard of living and barbaric, back-woods attitudes, we could have moved practically anywhere and found it more appealing. But we chose the Coachella valley, not for Palm Springs, although the city does have a great deal of name recognition, but rather for the potential to live in an area where we could engage in outdoor activities year round and be insulated from the high crime, traffic and other disgusting nuances of life in the big city.

Our first choice was Florida, and being a Jimmy Buffet parrothead I had always wanted to settle down in a little beach front community somewhere. But having lived there I knew that it was just a flatter, more humid version of Georgia. So we started researching places with seasonably warmer climatology compared to the rest of the country. We checked out Key West, Phoenix, Albuquerque, San Antonio, New Orleans, LA and San Diego before finally settling on the valley. My wife is a nurse and just in terms of average salary for her profession, she earns considerably more here than she could anywhere else, which factored heavily in our decision. We love it here. It's generally warmer in the valley during the winter than it is even in the Florida keys (I researched the geographic monthly averages in both places). Crime here in the valley, by comparison to the Atlanta metropolitan area is almost non-existent. My wife and I like to watch the evening news just to see what didn't happen in the valley today! The scenery is inexpressibly breathtaking. Everyone I've sent pictures to back east is in awe of this place. Our monthly heating and cooling bills are significantly lower than they were in Georgia. And although gas prices are steeper here, we drive so much less that we actually spend quite a bit less than we use to on gas. The people are fantastic. So far we have yet to encounter those snobbish, extravagantly wealthy elitists that are stereotypically portrayed in the media. Oh yes, there is a lot of money here, that's obvious, but there is also the strong presence of a very laid back atmosphere here, the kind that you might expect to find at any carribean island resort, so wealthy or not, most people here have an "I'm on vacation" mindset, so I don't think anybody really takes notice of who you are or what you do or have. Either that, or they're too absorbed in themselves to care!

Are there certain cities here to avoid? I'm not qualified to appraise the relative safety of a particular area, except for the neighborhood we live in, which is very safe indeed. I've hear alot of negative things about Coachella, Mecca, DHS, Cat City and Indio, but compared to Douglasville, Ga? (AKA redneck economic depression central) please! There's a website called Moderator cut: link to a competitors site removed that provides demographic information on several hundred thousand cities in the nation, and all the desert cities are listed on the site. If you need up to date crime stats, COL stats, census info, et cetera, it's a great resource. In our assessment, when we moved here we struck gold. We've never found or have been anywhere like this. Everytime I step outside my front door and the first thing see are snowcapped mountains encircling me with palm trees silhouetted against them, I'm awestruck. We live in a quiet little neighborhood in paradise, and we'll never leave. Viva la So Cal!
I'm a fellow La Quinta-ite ... and I approve of this post!

Last edited by Yac; 03-16-2009 at 09:04 AM..

Old 05-23-2009, 10:32 PM

2 posts, read 12,102 times
My family and I are probably moving to La Quinta in the fall and are going down there in a month to check out houses in North La Quinta. Am I hearing that it is "unsafe" out there in the desert, or is it just Indio that has some safety issues? We currently live in a small town in Northern WA, and the rain is making everyone ill, extreme tree pollen issues, asthma, husband with severe arthritis, pain when it is damp which it is 10 months out of the year. I am becoming concerned that there is a lot of extra crime or something in the valley down there in the desert. Any thoughts?

Old 05-23-2009, 11:33 PM

2 posts, read 12,102 times
I did not see the previous post from the Georgia transplants, so perhaps I misread a previous post. We live about an hour from Seattle, and there is plenty of crime there. I REALLY appreciate your guys' post, as it eases my mind. My husband is young and retired and his income is the same no matter where we go. My work in the health field is needed anywhere.

My neighbor where we live in WA gave me his un-asked for opinion today about how CA sucks, and the economy is horrible and there is a lot of minorities (my children) are of mixed race We live in a predominately blond-haired blue eyed area. I am used to more diversity, so I took his comments as an insult.

I have never posted on anything like this, but his tirade (this is someone I considered to be our nicest neighbor until today), really bothered me, so I was just checking out stuff on the net.

Glad to hear positives about La Quinta. There is good and bad to anywhere you live. Too much rain, too much snow, too much smog, too much pollen, too many people, etc... I think I will make my own opinion, since I havent' been to the Palm Springs area for 8 years... I am also CA native, who moved away to the Northwest 14 years ago.

Thanks for the posts
Jan

Old 05-23-2009, 11:34 PM

Parts of Indio can be rough - the older part, most specifically. Desert Hot Springs is a friggin' war zone - avoid that at all costs. Cathedral City has some rough patches too. You should be okay pretty much anywhere in the valley. You might also want to avoid Coachella and Thousand Palms as well.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janjant View Post
I did not see the previous post from the Georgia transplants, so perhaps I misread a previous post. We live about an hour from Seattle, and there is plenty of crime there. I REALLY appreciate your guys' post, as it eases my mind. My husband is young and retired and his income is the same no matter where we go. My work in the health field is needed anywhere.

My neighbor where we live in WA gave me his un-asked for opinion today about how CA sucks, and the economy is horrible and there is a lot of minorities (my children) are of mixed race We live in a predominately blond-haired blue eyed area. I am used to more diversity, so I took his comments as an insult.

I have never posted on anything like this, but his tirade (this is someone I considered to be our nicest neighbor until today), really bothered me, so I was just checking out stuff on the net.

Glad to hear positives about La Quinta. There is good and bad to anywhere you live. Too much rain, too much snow, too much smog, too much pollen, too many people, etc... I think I will make my own opinion, since I havent' been to the Palm Springs area for 8 years... I am also CA native, who moved away to the Northwest 14 years ago.

Thanks for the posts
Jan
Jan, with all due respect, your neighbor is a bigoted, racist moron who hasn't a clue of what he speaks. You do your research and continue to seek the advice of those of us who actually live in the valley and have been here a long time. I personally will try to be as helpful as I can and answer any questions you may have to the best of my ability and knowledge. I have lived in both Palm Desert and La Quinta, and have worked in various cities around the valley. I have lived here for over 12 years, but had been coming here for several years prior to moving here from Los Angeles.

Best of luck to you!

Old 05-25-2009, 12:12 AM

51 posts, read 116,933 times
Jan: Come down and check the valley out. I would agree that you should avoid Desert Hot Springs and Cathedral City. There is gang activity in both of those cities, but you know what, I came from the bay area and what is called gang activity in the Coachella Valley would be laughed at by bay area law enforcement. What I'm saying is, it's all relative.

We're in one of the newer areas of Indio, the Shadow Hills area which is north of I-10, (called "the 10" down here). We love it. Throughout this last winter I think it rained 3 times. We golfed constantly and explored the desert. Average daily highs in Dec and Jan were in the low 70s Yes we live ~ 1 mile from the San Andreas fault, but I'm a native californian and have lived on or near a fault my entire life! In terms of that, we prepare as best we can and will worry about it if and when it happens.

My only dislike is the summer weather. We're quasi-snowbirds, spend the winter in Indio, the summer in the Reno / Sparks area of NV. We just left Indio last week to head north. We'd had 5 or 6 days over 100 degrees in a row, which is our trigger to escape north!

Old 05-25-2009, 08:31 AM

19 posts, read 45,990 times
Wow!!! I tried to ask for this info about "The Cove" but sure didn't get answers this complete!! Now that I have been to The Cove it all makes total sense.

We just returned from a 6 day house hunt, viewing close to 50 homes in La Quinta Cove, Palm Desert and Pinion Flats (up in the mountains).

We bought a new construction home in Palm Desert. It just worked out best for us with the proximity to work, all the amenities close, not at all far drive- or bike ride -to trail heads and great schools (which we felt seemed better than anywhere else). Now I am worried about the utility bills, though, as one person here mentioned it is several hundred dollars a month! Yikes!! Currently our most expensive utility bill where we live now is in the high $300's....lowest around $100. I hope we don't go higher than that in Palm Desert!!!

During our extensive home search we drove up to Banning and through Thousand Palms but must not have found the decent neighborhoods in those areas. We never bothered to look at houses in either place. We scatched Indio after reading & researching about it and seeing for ourselves how very windy it was near the 10. We didn't look at houses there though we saw what appeared to be some great bargains listed.

We were lucky to spend the week in the vacant home of a future co-worker up route 74 in Pinion Crest. Wow! Talk about views, stars and a wonderful cooling breeze!! Also, we visited another friend up in Mt. Center who has a ranch there and had dinner in Idyllwyld. Gorgeous!! It was 30 mintues to Mt. Center and 45 to Idyllwyld. A crazy up hill switch back drive but lovely! If you could do that drive (to Pinion Crest)....which isn't all that far....It took us 20 minutes to get from the house in Pinion Crest to the bottom of the 'hill'...and you could AFFORD a home in Pinion Crest!!..it would be worth it. NO cheap houses there, I'm afraid!

Okay, here is what we saw in "The Cove" in La Quinta. We were casual observers....we do not live there and don't have any extended knowledge of the area. But this is what we saw having been out there for three days in a row...8 hours a day.....house-hunting. Our price range was between around $190,000 to $300,000...with most falling in the price of about $250,000-ish.

Our favorite, the very first house we saw out there, was at the VERY top of The Cove....right there by the trail head. GORGEOUS veiw....literally a step across the street to the trail. The house was lovely, too. Bad news....we saw what looked like some kind of shady activity in the parking area of the trail head. Quick exchanges of something...then driving away. Also so some teens who looked at us as if we were invading whatever they were up to. Behind the house was another house which looked pretty rough and unkept. We looked at MANY houses in The Cove. There were a LOT of them for sale within our price range. Some were a bit higher priced, too.....high $300 - a few at low $400. Most were short sales and foreclosures. There were also many, many rentals there. We did get into some very nice homes. Also a couple of shabby ones. The things which turned us off of the nice homes we found were the surroundings. Check the back yards of the neighbors behind, to the sides and across from the house you are looking at. A few things we saw were....an 80lb or so pit bull tied with a heavy chain to a pile of old tires, cluttered yard full of scrap metal, chickens, a sandy yard which appeared to be the local stray cat littler box, a yard with a huge speaker hook up (we lived in Ft. Worth in a neighborhood which was not un-like what we saw in The Cove....weekends were all about burning trash in the back yard while blasting Tejano music....I have no idea if the booming Tejano music would be the same deal in The Cove or not....but we sure didn't want to find out). Again, this wasn't true of every house we looked at....but do check what you will be living next to. Also, look up and down the street....at all the cars parked along the roads. We were there on week days and the streets had a lot of low riders, lifted pick-ups, etc...parked along the sides. See how the yards are kept. There ARE some very nice 'sections' in The Cove....but wow how it can differ from one end of the street or block to the other. What finally told us to not look any further in The Cove was witnessing a young man getting arrested, cuffed and taken away by two cruisers right in the middle of the intersection in the mid-section of The Cove in broad daylight. We are a 40 something family of three with a toddler...that scene scratched The Cove for us. Had we been just a couple....or a single, active oung person....maybe we would have still considered The Cove. But with a young child....it just didn't look like a good neighborhood for her.

We did not have the chance to look in other areas of La Quinta because were were trying very hard to stay as close to the $250,00 price range as possible. There was nothing we could find for sale with our specs and price range coming up in other areas of La Quinta.

Good Luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties