Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 01:31 AM

48 posts, read 145,237 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are from Connecticut, had our house on the market and received an acceptable offer. I've had horses my entire life and am very intrigued by the horsey life in Norco.

From the photos, the lifestyle is something most horse people dream about. From past visits to CA., (although, never visited Norco) I'd love to give it a try. Husband dislikes CA and will not even discuss moving to Norco, but told me to go alone with my horse for 6 months or so, then move back to New England.

I'm in the Health Care Field, although, not a specific job title or degree. Worked at major medical laboratory for 20 years, a CNA for 2 years, and now a Residential Counselor in a Group Home.

How affordable is renting an apartment with a single income in Norco.

What is the average cost of boarding a horse at a reliable facility? Are there many facilities or do most people keep their horses at home? Ease of access to Trails?

From what I can see, possible employers are Corona Regional Medical Center, and Chino Valley Medical Center. Are there any other Health Care Facilities in the area? Anything else I should know prior to making the move?

Thank you very much for any advice on housing, employment, and the horse life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 02:46 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,928,005 times
I went to elementary, intermediate school, and college in Norco.

There aren't many apartments in Norco, if any. As of ~ 10 years ago I didn't even bother looking there while apartment hunting because there were none. Padmapper turns up nil.

Many people keep their horses at home. I know nothing of the horse lifestyle, but Norco has horse trails instead of sidewalks in many places, and the smell of horse ish permeates the air.

There are also hospitals in Riverside. Kaiser, Parkview, Riverside Community, etc.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:40 PM

Thank you David.. I also appreciate the information on additional Health Care Facilities.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:57 PM

256 posts, read 616,874 times
I have lived in Norco for almost 23 years. There are no apartments in Norco other than senior apartments. There are rental houses though. Most properties are 1/2 acre and larger. Nothing like what you have on the east coast. Boarding is very reasonable and there are several decent stables. Paddock boarding range is about $350/month while box stalls are about $450/month. Norco has a ton of trails along the streets and also the Santa Ana River Trail. The one thing you will miss is there are no lush green pastures here. You could find an apartment in either Corona and Eastvale and board your horse in Norco. Try to find a job where you do not have to commute to the west. The traffic will be terrible.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponypenny View Post
I have lived in Norco for almost 23 years. There are no apartments in Norco other than senior apartments. There are rental houses though. Most properties are 1/2 acre and larger. Nothing like what you have on the east coast. Boarding is very reasonable and there are several decent stables. Paddock boarding range is about $350/month while box stalls are about $450/month. Norco has a ton of trails along the streets and also the Santa Ana River Trail. The one thing you will miss is there are no lush green pastures here. You could find an apartment in either Corona and Eastvale and board your horse in Norco. Try to find a job where you do not have to commute to the west. The traffic will be terrible.
Ponypenny, Aren't you on COTH? lol I'm Huntertwo on there. Small world, huh?

Yes, when looking at Realtor.com (for the heck of it), I was amazed at the homes who advertised having horses at home on 1/4 acre. In CT., where I live, (not being snarky) that would be laughable... Again, this is not meant to sound rude. 2 acre minimum is standard, some towns require more acreage. Your boarding prices sound similar to ours, unless you board with an indoor.

I did find your trails on the streets so neat!!! And the hitching posts at various stores??? Too cool!!!
I would love to do that!!! It's almost like re-inacting the old west.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:24 PM

256 posts, read 616,874 times
I know what you mean. My daughter has shown at the Vermont Summer Festival and she tells me how pretty and green the northeast is in regards to horse property. Yes I am on COTH too. I could not think of a different name so I kept the same.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:33 AM

Vermont is absolutely gorgeous!! All seasons are beautiful up there. Actually, Vermont is where I bought my mare. That is the only time I've been there, yet it so close to CT. The Rest Stops along the interstates are spotless!! I also believe they do not allow Bill Boards to clutter up the beautiful scenery.

Is the Festival a Hunter/Jumper show? You should come out East with her next time she shows.
Or does she already live out here?

Old 03-26-2014, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponypenny View Post
PonyPenny,
I'd gladly give up pasture for the warmth. .. My horse can't have pasture anyway due to possible Founder
issues. When looking on Realtor.com for houses just for the heck of it, (Hubby WILL not even consider moving to CA.) I couldn't believe the lot sizes! Not knocking it at all, because if set up properly, it probably can be done.

Here in CT. Zoning differs in each town. Some require 3 acres, 2 acres, etc. I'm surprised, with the cost of hay, that your boarding costs are very reasonable.

I'm paying $700 a month and that is average if a stable has an indoor.

In Fairfield County, which is close to NYC, I've seen some board well over $1,000 a month.

Sorry, another question.... How hard is it to find a temporary "Room Mate" situation?

Thank you,
Judith

Old 05-10-2014, 09:18 PM

6 posts, read 11,366 times
Norco is "Horse Town USA".

Upside is that you have all things horsey right at your fingertips--tack shops and feed stores line 6th Street (the main drag). Downside is that when a horse gets sick (look up valley fever), then it flies through the neighborhoods and everyone gets it.

You will drylot your horse and haul in hay. 100# bales here (feed for 5-7 days) will cost you $18-21 dollars each. A ton of hay is not cheap. Most horses are dry lotted in 24 x 24 pipe corrals and then turned out into larger areas for free exercise.

Yes, you can ride your horse on all streets and the trails are decent. The end of 6th street has Ingalls Park, which is host to NRPCA rodeos and many, many specialty shows all year round. The arena is covered against the dry heat of summer and the winter rains.

Interestingly that at all stop lights there are horse-high buttons to cross. There are only about six stop lights on the main drag (6th Street).

Stable flies and dust are a SERIOus problem (unlike the east coast where rain keeps the dust down).

Horse people out here are MUCH more various than East Coasters. We have strong representations of the Spanish riders, western trail riders, and pleasure riders of all ages. English riding, dressage and show jumping are in the minority. There is also the contingent that rides to get to the nearest bar. Yes, you can be cited for riding while intoxicated.

Hope that helps. Most of the homes in Norco are from the 60s, with the usual repairs needed. The term "backyard horse" comes from this lifestyle, and the number of run-down homes is legion. Hay and shoeing is expensive. I paid $80 for my mare for shoes all around, and now it is higher. $40 for a trim.

Yet Norco is a really unique place. You are right, your husband would hate it.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseartist View Post
Norco is "Horse Town USA".

Upside is that you have all things horsey right at your fingertips--tack shops and feed stores line 6th Street (the main drag). Downside is that when a horse gets sick (look up valley fever), then it flies through the neighborhoods and everyone gets it.

You will drylot your horse and haul in hay. 100# bales here (feed for 5-7 days) will cost you $18-21 dollars each. A ton of hay is not cheap. Most horses are dry lotted in 24 x 24 pipe corrals and then turned out into larger areas for free exercise.

Yes, you can ride your horse on all streets and the trails are decent. The end of 6th street has Ingalls Park, which is host to NRPCA rodeos and many, many specialty shows all year round. The arena is covered against the dry heat of summer and the winter rains.

Interestingly that at all stop lights there are horse-high buttons to cross. There are only about six stop lights on the main drag (6th Street).

Stable flies and dust are a SERIOus problem (unlike the east coast where rain keeps the dust down).

Horse people out here are MUCH more various than East Coasters. We have strong representations of the Spanish riders, western trail riders, and pleasure riders of all ages. English riding, dressage and show jumping are in the minority. There is also the contingent that rides to get to the nearest bar. Yes, you can be cited for riding while intoxicated.

Hope that helps. Most of the homes in Norco are from the 60s, with the usual repairs needed. The term "backyard horse" comes from this lifestyle, and the number of run-down homes is legion. Hay and shoeing is expensive. I paid $80 for my mare for shoes all around, and now it is higher. $40 for a trim.

Yet Norco is a really unique place. You are right, your husband would hate it.
Now, you are making me very envious... I would absolutely love the life style, but he is not a horse person, and dislikes the West Coast. We are total opposites! Love the idea that the buttons on the crossing signs are horse high. Great idea.

I'm a Trail Rider and the trails look wonderful. When did you pay $80.00 for 4 shoes???

Wow, we are paying almost $200 for 4 shoes here in CT. Thank goodness my mare can go barefoot. $45.00 per trim.

Yes, I can see how disease can spread with horses in such close quarters. Any Strangles outbreaks?

I'd still like to hear more.... Thank you! P.S. Always hear about the Wild Fires. Has Norco ever been affected by these?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties