Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 07:56 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,779,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
I won't argue that Cali is "the best place to live" but I personally think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. I lived in a lot of places before I moved to California so, I already know that there's no utopia to be found in these other states.

I don't care if you pay cash for a house in Texas or any other cheaper state ... those states are cheap for a reason. These are right to work states with pathetic wages where employers can fire you at anytime without cause.

In my profession, Texas employers actually maintain databases to blacklist employees from jobs ... basically you're shut out of the marketplace if you're not willing to tolerate pathetic wages with minimal benefits.

At a certain point you have to ask ... why didn't these houses appreciate ... even during the housing boom? Why are these places so cheap?

Because the wages in these places are, at best, stagnant and are actually declining in many cases.
Mostely, actually....I think its because of a few reason, like the oppressive heat and humidity, the terrible roads that are unique to Texas, the outrageous taxes. You only get that mansion for 250k because you have to pay over 6k in taxes in Texas.

Warning: If yoru from the West Coast avoid the Republic of Texas at all cost.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:11 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,874,151 times
For those of you that do hate California...Please do move out !

I have Great Hope in this State,and despite the problems we face here,we will overcome them all.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:38 PM

875 posts, read 1,092,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorholic View Post
I agree, CA does suck to live in, I grew up in CA but am better off here in dallas tx now, Im one of the lucky ones who cashed out when I sold my home in montclair ca (next to ontario) and paid cash for my current home....
Well don't mention that to any Dallasites, they can't stand it when Californians do that. According to them, we're what is ruining their precious area.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:40 PM

875 posts, read 1,092,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
Mostely, actually....I think its because of a few reason, like the oppressive heat and humidity, the terrible roads that are unique to Texas, the outrageous taxes. You only get that mansion for 250k because you have to pay over 6k in taxes in Texas.

Warning: If yoru from the West Coast avoid the Republic of Texas at all cost.
I live in Plano and the roads are really good. I have yet to see a bad road in the whole DFW area. That being said, I wish I still lived in NorCal.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:00 PM

6 posts, read 30,901 times
Default I love living in SoCal!

Wow, I just noticed this thread about "why do people want to move to SoCal" and I just wanted to say that I relocated from Phoenix earlier this year and don't regret the move. I love the cooler climate and Temecula only gets hot for about 2-3 weeks in the summer. Of course, I guess for those of us from AZ, nothing is quite too hot. I have no plans to ever return to Phoenix and love the beautiful green hills, the wine country, and closeness to the ocean here! I also have to say that I have never met so many friendly people as here in Temecula. Of course, I think the people in Chicago are so nice too! The only thing I miss from AZ are the low property and state tax.

I do agree that everyone has their own preference and can choose where they want to live in most cases. I moved here for a great job so no regrets. I just feel blessed every day to be living "anywhere" in the U.S. and not in some 3rd world country. God bless!!

Old 12-15-2007, 07:19 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_sunflowers View Post
I just feel blessed every day to be living "anywhere" in the U.S. and not in some 3rd world country. God bless!!
Good attitude! I wish more would feel like you!

Old 12-16-2007, 08:28 AM

15 posts, read 124,581 times
Default Southern Cal

I am a travel nurse who has lived in 6 states. I stayed in San Diego for 5 years, it is beautiful there, and I felt very safe there-crime wise. Yes, it is expensive, but the weather is great, and it is health conscious, which is what I like. I lived in Carlsbad, which is only minutes from the beach. I only left because I couldn't afford to buy a house there. When I travelled other places, I realized the good things about So Cal. Yes, if you choose to live in Temecula, you are not by the water, and will have to fight the traffic to get there. It depends on where you live. I am now in the worst state I have ever been in, and can't wait to leave. My daughter still lives in San Diego, and I always look forward to visiting her there.
My point is, you can't live in one town and judge everything on that. And San Diego is very different from LA, and also OC. After you have lived in different places, you realize that it isn't so bad, and you start to miss some things about living there. Also, I have been in MUCH worse traffic than the San Diego area, believe me.
Traci

Last edited by tracivrn; 12-16-2007 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 12-16-2007, 03:22 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
Moderator cut: post you are referring to has been removed I guess what I'm saying is that there still are things people enjoy here that people there don't...if you go to the emergency room here, they don't ask you for money before treating you, public education is free, there is such a thing as government assistance, unemployment insurance, the ability to get credit, etc. etc. and many more things that people in third world countries don't have. So I guess anywhere here is a lot better than some of the places out there, IMO. And to see that there is one person who looks at living here as a blessing the same way that some immigrants do is refreshing, that's all.

Last edited by da jammer; 12-16-2007 at 05:21 PM..

Old 12-16-2007, 03:23 PM

119 posts, read 716,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
These are right to work states with pathetic wages where employers can fire you at anytime without cause.
that's different from other jobs/states how? (except for the pathetic wages part)

Old 12-16-2007, 03:32 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,450,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_sunflowers View Post
I love the cooler climate and Temecula only gets hot for about 2-3 weeks in the summer. I have no plans to ever return to Phoenix and love the beautiful green hills, the wine country, and closeness to the ocean here!.... I also have to say that I have never met so many friendly people as here in Temecula.
The wine country in Temecula is quite good, and getting better all the time! I live up in Santa Rosa, and I've been able to go down there about three times with a high school friend of mine to go wine tasting and hiking. If you're into wineries, check out the area around Paso Robles, a couple of hours north of Santa Barbara, too! Wonderful Bordeaux-style blends at many vineyards there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties