Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 11:19 AM

6 posts, read 18,505 times

Advertisements

@Twinpeaks - I kind of have to laugh at the timing, as I am currently writing this while trying to ignore being able to hear the conversation my neighbors are having right below my window. Exactly one day after I moved in, the neighbor I met when I was looking at the place announced he and his family were moving out. I live on a property with a large main house and I rent the guest house that is built above the garage (which belongs to whoever rents the main house). When the new neighbors moved in, I discovered that the husband was a carpenter and I've had to deal with a lot of noise of banging hammers and some power tools both in the garage below me and all over the outside of their property. They also have two dogs, which they tie up right under my kitchen window so I can hear them bark all day. Since the houses are built so close together up here (not just the main house and mine - I'm right up against another neighbor as well) the noise is a little more than I was hoping for. So... yeah. LOL. It's not exactly what I expected. I think I may have just gotten unlucky with neighbors who do nothing but stay at home all day (they are basically retired) and hang out with their dogs and work on noisy projects.

@Ulysses - Your neighbors are retired drunks, but also quiet? Lucky you! LOL. My neighbors are tree-hugging hippies (literally, they actually write newsletters about talking to trees - I'm not even joking) and yet they are fairly noisy. I know what you mean about not everyone being friendly. Actually, I think what I've observed is that the locals are very friendly but the weekenders and summer visitors are awful. I've nearly been run off the road a few times and always feel like I'm taking my life into my hands when I get onto the main roads on a weekend. It's crazy! Again, not exactly what I was expecting.

For now, I'm sticking it out as I want to see what a full year is like up here. I keep hearing winter will be quiet so I'm hoping that is true. Maybe I can put up with the summer insanity if winter is peaceful.

If not, then I swear I'm going to start looking at farmland up in northern California or maybe Oregon. I figure I need at least 5 acres to not be able to hear neighbors talking outside my window. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 01:25 PM

Location: OC, Big Bear Lake, Las Vegas NV, Laughlin NV, Palm Desert CA
113 posts, read 422,500 times
If you're buying in Arrowhead, as a past resident of Arrowhead, I can give you some tips. I now have a 2nd home in Big Bear Lake, but I understand your reasons for choosing Arrowhead. More importantly I can give you buying tips.

I would first buy now because of the home prices and interest rates are favorable. The key is getting a quality agent and someone who will patiently help you find the right house. You don't want someone pressuring you to quickly buy to get a commission check. I honestly have learned to work with top agents for all my home purchases. The lady sitting on floor time with nothing going on is not the best choice of agents, in my opinion. You don't want a desperate agent pressing you to buy the first home you tour. You want a successful and popular agent that does it full-time basis and really listens to your requirements in your next home.

If you want a 3 bedroom house, big lot with a lot of trees and balconies, do not settle for anything less than that. Buy the house you have envisioned in your mind. Nothing is more expensive than buying the wrong house.

The 2nd thing is to be there in person and don't go by real estate websites or Google satellite photos. That's helpful, but you really need to spend time there. Find the areas of Arrowhead that you like the best and start looking there. I enjoyed living on the North Shore side of the lake. It was quiet, secluded and the neighbors were pretty cool. Since you really like peace and quiet, I'd suggest buying out the outskirts of town that is distant from traffic and a lot of neighbors.

You might want to sell the 2 wheel drive car and get a 4x4 SUV, car or truck. It doesn't snow much lately, but if it picks up in the future, having a 4x4 comes really in handy. Good luck on your search!

Last edited by Oldwestgambler; 10-26-2014 at 01:46 PM..

Old 11-06-2014, 09:37 AM

2 posts, read 5,571 times
@writermoki that's really unfortunate, I'm sorry to hear that. Sounds like what's life was like back in Venice with dogs and power tools all day.

I've been in a house here in Twin Peaks, pretty near the Antlers Inn, for about a month and so far I absolutely love it. I get a little bit of car noise because I'm right up from the 189, but I can only hear it at the back of my house and honestly it doesn't bother me. There's the occasional barking dog, but night times are so quiet I can hear the inside of my head!!

I was worried the quiet would scare me, as I've lived in Venice for most of my life, but it is the nicest thing. I sleep so deep and am having a lot of creative inspiration--wrote 7,500 words on my book project last week alone!

My neighbors are all very friendly and have come by to introduce themselves. I'm still commuting to the Glendale/Burbank area 3-4 days a week because date coincident to moving I took on a new project at work that requires it. The drive time is a little long but weirdly I don't mind it. And I'm still commuting less total hour per week than I was before.

Anyhow, I'm loving life so far. Wouldn't mind some tips about any social activities up here for a younger person (I'm 30). Otherwise, looking forward to doing some hiking and trying out all the local restaurants.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:50 PM

375 posts, read 609,405 times
Not trying to hijack this thread, but I also would love to find a super-quiet place in the greater LA area mountains.

I originally dismissed Big Bear and Arrowhead as being too busy, thus too noisy. Though it's been equally many, many years since I've been to Idyllwild, I recently was reminded of the place and plan to visit it again soon to get reacquainted.

Would love to hear from anyone familiar with both (Arrowhead and Idyllwild) as to pros and cons.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:58 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpv View Post
Would love to hear from anyone familiar with both (Arrowhead and Idyllwild) as to pros and cons.
Moving to Lake Arrowhead

Old 01-06-2015, 10:36 PM

205 posts, read 409,447 times
There are cool properties in the eastern side of Big Bear valley. Its nice and quiet. You just have to look.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:31 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,388,646 times
There is no noise in Lake Arrowhead except during the summer concert series in the Village. Then you'd have to live very close to the village to hear the music. It's extremely staid and quiet, it's one of the great attributes of Lake Arrowhead.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:59 AM

6 posts, read 18,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
There is no noise in Lake Arrowhead except during the summer concert series in the Village. Then you'd have to live very close to the village to hear the music. It's extremely staid and quiet, it's one of the great attributes of Lake Arrowhead.
Well all I can say is I'm truly happy you have silence where you are because where I am is pretty much as noisy as living back in L.A. I've actually sent videos to my friends who don't believe me and all of them are now shocked. Apparently I was unlucky enough to find the noisiest part of the mountain. On a daily basis I deal with things like dogs barking from multiple houses around me (and I mean All. Day. Long - they are doing it now as I'm typing this) and neighbors working with power tools.

Less often, but often enough, I hear chainsaws, heavy machinery, parties... the list goes on.

But I do believe that this is just my bad luck and I'm sure anyone else moving up here would find it incredibly peaceful. As for me, I've come to the conclusion that the only way I can find peace and quiet is to buy at least 10-20 acres and put a house smack dab in the middle of it. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties