Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2014, 07:08 AM

247 posts, read 525,718 times

Advertisements

Google Maps says it's about an hour. Is that realistic during rush hour? There's more work in my field (graphic design) in that area, yet we want to live in Palm Springs. Thoughts from locals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 01:00 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,429,770 times
Not realistic IMO.

Just east of the junction of the 60/215 (Moreno Valley) and traveling west to Riverside is a traffic nightmare in the AM. Scratch that - a traffic nightmare almost at any time.
Coming back is the same in that section.
Can't answer for the traffic in Riverside itself.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:37 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,879,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantweed View Post
Google Maps says it's about an hour. Is that realistic during rush hour? There's more work in my field (graphic design) in that area, yet we want to live in Palm Springs. Thoughts from locals?
No. I used to live in PS. Any time the wind blows, many of the major routes out of PS towards I-10 close due to blowing dust and sand. My co-workers who lived above I-10 always seemed to be detoured around some road closure.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:30 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,386,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantweed View Post
Traffic will be heavy both ways, but it's "doable". Expect 70-90 mins to cover the 60 miles.

If everything else clicked (you find a home in PS and a job in Riverside), I wouldn't let the commute be a deal-breaker.

On the otherhand, Riverside has some great neighborhoods ( and PS has some s$&@tty ones), so keep an open mind about where to live. You can always visit PS on the weekends.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:06 AM

247 posts, read 525,718 times
Thanks for the input. The goal is to get work in the Coachella Valley, but I'll take what I can find, and make that long commute if I have to.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:55 PM

687 posts, read 1,493,848 times
We lived in PS, and two of our kids attended Riverside Community College. If you can get a slightly off-hour schedule, it can be done in 45 minutes, depending on where you start and stop. The wind can be an issue, but more often than not Indian and Gene Autry are closed, not 111, which would be the exit that drops you directly into PS. I think the longest it ever took any of us was 90 minutes, and that was rush hour, accidents, and road construction.

I'd think you could probably find something in the desert. Things slow down considerably from about May-August. A lot of smaller companies don't hire going into the summer months, but it's still possible.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:11 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,879,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRed View Post
We lived in PS, and two of our kids attended Riverside Community College. If you can get a slightly off-hour schedule, it can be done in 45 minutes, depending on where you start and stop. The wind can be an issue, but more often than not Indian and Gene Autry are closed, not 111, which would be the exit that drops you directly into PS. I think the longest it ever took any of us was 90 minutes, and that was rush hour, accidents, and road construction.
Good point about 111 vs. the other ways into PS. I will note that when I was in PS, my co-workers who drove in from Banning and Beaumont were more likely to get stalled by some car wreck on 111 than from blowing schmutz. People always drive that curvy stretch of 111 way too quickly.

(I know you were there for a while because you referred to the street as "Indian" and not "Indian Canyon"!)

Old 03-07-2014, 04:16 AM

687 posts, read 1,493,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post

(I know you were there for a while because you referred to the street as "Indian" and not "Indian Canyon"!)
Haha! Good catch. My family moved there in '74, when I was a little girl. I only moved away last spring. The Westfield mall in Palm Desert will always be the "new" mall to me. Indian and Tahquitz both had "Canyon" added in an attempt to promote the downtown area with a "Shop the Canyons" campaign. The only time I ever ran into a back-up on 111 was spring break '86, driving home from college.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:40 PM

6 posts, read 17,426 times
I live in PS and commute to Riverside. Moreno Valley and Riverside 60/215 interchange are hell! I'm trying to find another job it's so bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties