Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 09:59 AM

37 posts, read 150,540 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I really would like to relocate from Maine to Southern Calif. I have lived between Maine and HB with both my parents on opposite coasts growing up. My mom has since left HB and Calif but I want to come back. I am married and have 2 young boys (18 mo and 6 y.o.) My very good friend lives in Riverside and I would like to live close to her. My hubby doesn't want to move out there because he feels we would never be able to afford a house in a decent area/school system. He's a Maine boy and will take some convincing. Can anyone tell me how much household income we would need to make in order to live in a modest home in a decent area of Riverside? If there are nicer areas of the Inland Empire, I'd be interested in those too.
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 08:32 PM

107 posts, read 580,290 times
400K plus for descent home in riverside county... Im sure there will be others who will say there are cheaper housing in riverside. but thats been my experience anyway.

of course, if you have time to come to CA for a few weeks (at least) do some house shopping... you might be able to find pretty good deals, maybe even sub 400k. but the cost of living is pretty high here (notice i didnt say quality of living). lets just say its not for everyone.

If you have been in CA before, especially southern california, then you'll know that its a pretty diversed area with lots of differen ethnicities. that is a plus for some people, not for others. I think it helps if you and your husband can score a job out here first, that will definately be a big help. at least you'll be able to calculate what you can or can't afford.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:48 AM

Lightbulb Thanks for info

Hi Waggie,
Thanks for your reply. I went house hunting a month ago there with my friend and noticed most houses to be in that range in Riverside. Yesterday online though I found some houses in the surrounding areas to be 300K. Do you think those homes are in dumpy areas? The cities they were in were: Yucaipa, Romoland, Beaumont, Murrieta. Are those decent areas, and if so, do you think the homes I saw were on the wrong side of the tracks so to speak?

Anybody else out there reading this with comments??????

Old 12-13-2007, 06:52 AM

Default Quality of Living

Waggie- Oh I forgot to ask you what your opinion about the quality of life there. You mentioned it in your post and I was wondering if you could elaborate.

I know its probably a lot different than Maine!

Old 12-13-2007, 10:25 PM

107 posts, read 580,290 times
check your PM

Old 12-26-2007, 10:40 PM

24 posts, read 116,098 times
I lived in Bath Maine growing up. I left Maine when I was 19. I have lived many places over the last 15 years. I settled in Riverside,CA. I found a very nice Bank owned home in Orangecrest(92508) zip code. This area is very nice, with great schools. It is so much different than Maine. I enjoy it here, but do miss the lobster.

To answer your question, on how much you need to make really depends on your spending habits. I have been able to do well making about 80k(Houshold income), with a 300k mortgage. I have no debt, and no car payment. I do have a wife and a 12 year old son.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:09 PM

14 posts, read 44,255 times
Default hey maine this is maryland

i am thinking about a move to the march airforce base area i grow up in california but i never lived past ontario ca i have hade family live in hesperia visited lake paris i never though much of moreno valley i thoght it was a little weak on the landscaping side soil seemed mal nutritioned certainly this is another region type more desertly i in maryland this will be a an adjustment i thinking lake elsinore i too am probing my dad saia beaumont i am online to see what i can find out i plan a trip out there in feburary to scope it out will share with you my findings.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:33 PM

21 posts, read 69,288 times
The quality of living in Riverside will be quite different from Maine, I'm sure. Over the past 10-15 years Riverside has become over priced and over crowded. The public schools aren't very good; yes some are better than others, but most perform below average. Sorry, I have very few nice things to say about the city, even though I still live here. With that said, if you would like to own a home in Riverside, you will need a household income of at least 80k per year to live comfortably. I'm not too sure though about the lending guidelines now that so many homes are in foreclosure. If you don't mind renting, you could live off of 60k per year just fine, assuming rent was $1,800 or less per month. Gas, food, utilities can be costly, too. Good Luck!

Old 12-27-2007, 09:31 PM

24 posts, read 116,098 times
Schools are good in my area of Riverside. The King District, and the Poly District are very good.

Check out greatschools.net for the info.

Good Luck

Old 12-28-2007, 06:00 AM

Default Thanks from Maine

Thank you for all your replies and info.

Vizcaya, its nice to talking with a fellow Mainer. I live in southern Maine (York County coastal).How did you adjust once you moved? Were you in culture shock or was it an easy adjustment? I'm sure you don't miss our winters here.

Glad to hear that its more affordable than its stereotyped out there. With a dual income family, I think we'll do just fine. How do you guys deal with all the traffic and congestion on the freeway? Obviously that's the downside of living there but that's a major obstacle for my husband wanting to move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties