Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 04:32 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,031,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodbyeCalifornia View Post
Your other option is to do what many snowbirds do; utilize a seasonal rental. There are an abundance of such rentals all through the Coachella Valley. If you only plan on being around for a few months of the year, it doesn't really make sense to buy something, especially if your budget is such that you are limited to places like Desert Hot Springs.
Not to mention that if you bought in DHS and left it vacant for most of the year, next time you come back the house would be totally destroyed by vandals. Your copper wiring would be gone, your appliances, your toilets and sinks, carpet, etc. Go with a seasonal rental.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 05:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,818 times
I have been living in DHS since the third grade. I haven't had any problems living here. I am a college educated women with two younger siblings whom attend the school of DHS K- high school and are in honors classes. Just like any other cities you have your druggies, *******s, snobs, judgmental people, the list goes on, but like I said just like any other city you will find them. Being a local I already know what streets are bad and which apartment complex are for low income, just like LA or AZ I'm pretty sure there are very bad areas you want to stay away from.
I also had two homes one I would rent out, and let me tell you my home was in tip top shape when it wasn't being rented out to anyone and when it was never did I have a problem. I would leave during the summer for three months and the home I live in was in an area locals call "browns town" this area is very isolated and when I returned from vacation my home was not vandalized my windows were not broken my copper cables were still intact. Everyone is very judgment about DHS but it is not bad like before.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:54 PM

6 posts, read 13,436 times
DHS is averaging a shooting at least once a month if not more. I believe there have been 7 murders since Jan 2014.

I am sickened what has happened there. At one time DHS was a nice town to raise kids. It started in about 1991 when the gangs started moving in.

I have owned a house there since 1980. It is currently being sold. Nice street . Can't keep a tenant. They experience loud music. Barking dogs. Parties during the week. Gun shots they wake up in the middle of the night with hearts pounding. Some kids tried to open the garage door while my tenants were home. Some one stold items out of the garage. There are some really nice neighbors on my street. Then you have this element of people that are very disreptful. My tenant asked the people to please do something with the dogs barking. His remark was "Dogs bark that's what they do" Even tho this man gets fines he doesn't care.

Last week there was a shooting one block away. There have been several shootings on Desert View.

It is pretty bad there . There are some nice areas. Mission lakes Country Club is pretty nice.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:15 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,031,245 times
No, I suppose DHS isn't "bad like before" and the Desert Sun and all local news outlets and the Press-Enterprise are "judgmental".

Desert Sun

Search Results desert hot springs

Local News, Weather and Sports for the Palm Springs, Coachella Valley and desert cities area | KESQ.com

Old 03-01-2015, 06:40 PM

6 posts, read 13,436 times
House cheap Desert Hot Springs for sale. If you can handle it message me

Old 03-13-2015, 10:31 AM

Location: OC, Big Bear Lake, Las Vegas NV, Laughlin NV, Palm Desert CA
113 posts, read 422,444 times
My thoughts as someone shopping in Desert Hot Springs to purchase right now: I'm currently looking to invest in Desert Hot Springs for a 2nd home on the golf course and I have spent a lot of time touring around Desert Hot Springs lately. The town doesn't scream wealth like Indian Wells or anything, but it's not bad at all. I visited the Vistors Center, went shopping on Palm Ave and had a wonderful lunch at Casa Blanca Mexican Restaurant. That place was so highly rated on Yelp, I had to try it. Great food!

Inside the restaurant, mostly local families and senior couples enjoying lunch together and having a nice time. I walked around the downtown area and shopped at the stores and had a nice day. I'm not trying to come off like Huell Howser, but there are far worse places to live. Parts of San Bernardino, Highland, Long Beach or worse, North Vegas, makes Desert Hot Springs look wonderful.

I did see people & families that clearly didn't have a lot money, interesting people walking around didn't look employed, and clearly low income neighborhoods in some parts. It reminded me of the high desert like lower income areas of Victorville or Apple Valley. I also saw areas that had nice homes, nice cars in the driveway with owners trimming the lawn and taking care of their properties. The town does have great potential given the tourism with the hot springs, beautiful views of the mountains and perfect weather most of the year. If more quality & employed people moved into the city, neighborhoods and the entire community would change for the better.

The area I'm considering is on the outskirts of town and different from a lot of the areas of Desert Hot Springs. I did see homes in the residential areas that I'd totally live in if I wanted to live there full-time. If you're looking for affordable living in the area, I would consider some parts of Desert Hot Springs. The golf course community is nice and I don't think you can find a better deal for single family homes right on the golf course.

That's my take on it =) I quoted myself and reposting 3 x rather than fixing typos in my post. lol. Oops. Sorry.

Last edited by Oldwestgambler; 03-13-2015 at 11:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties