U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-23-2007, 12:45 PM

5,457 posts, read 13,507,449 times
Default Skiing in southern California

Does anybody here ski at one of the areas in the San Gabriel Mountains? I've heard of Mt Baldy, Big Bear, and I'm sure there are a couple of others. I'm originally from Denver, currently living in Phoenix, and I'm thinking about taking a trip out there this winter. I'm also considering relocating to southern California after I graduate ASU in May. I'm not sure how serious, but it's a thought. How is the skiing there? How long does the season last? I'm posting this in the Inland Empire forum since it seems like the IE has the best access the mountains. Also, what about the summer-- are there a lot of hiking trails in the San Gabriel Mountains? Does it cool off up there? How easy is it to get up in elevation-- what are the highways like, etc? Which areas would you recommend living in for closest proximity to the slopes, and which are relatively safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 01:28 PM

3,206 posts, read 8,714,766 times
There is Mountain High, Big Bear, Snow Summit, and maybe some others. Snow Summit is good for beginners, while Big Bear, on the other side of the same mountain, is more advanced. I don't know much about Mtn. High though. Mammoth Mountain is the favorite snow destination of SoCal. It is about a 6 hour drive, but they have the best slopes and the most snow up there. The city of Mammoth Lakes is beautiful as well.

To determine where you live, it really depends on your price range.

Oh yeah. The IE is constantly over 95* in the summer and only goes down into the upper 70's. In the winter, temps drop below freezing. I would suggest moving to LA, especially if you are young. The IE is full of families and suburbia, and there is quite a bit of crime there because gangs are moving out there from LA. In LA, we have several hiking trails through the Santa Monica Mountains and other areas, while the skiing is only 2-3 hours away.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:39 PM

2,502 posts, read 5,585,478 times
The Big Bear area is nice, but I wouldn't live there. The little towns are quaint, but they close down at 9:00. It's not really a hip place for young people.

If you want to move to CA and be near skiing, try the far east suburbs of LA, such as Riverside and Rancho Cucamonga. They're significantly closer to skiing than the rest of SoCal, but the area's developed enough that there's some actual life.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:24 PM

875 posts, read 7,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Does anybody here ski at one of the areas in the San Gabriel Mountains? I've heard of Mt Baldy, Big Bear, and I'm sure there are a couple of others. I'm originally from Denver, currently living in Phoenix, and I'm thinking about taking a trip out there this winter. I'm also considering relocating to southern California after I graduate ASU in May. I'm not sure how serious, but it's a thought. How is the skiing there? How long does the season last? I'm posting this in the Inland Empire forum since it seems like the IE has the best access the mountains. Also, what about the summer-- are there a lot of hiking trails in the San Gabriel Mountains? Does it cool off up there? How easy is it to get up in elevation-- what are the highways like, etc? Which areas would you recommend living in for closest proximity to the slopes, and which are relatively safe?
Big Bear is in the San Bernardino mountains, about 70 miles from the San Gabriel mountains. I believe Snow Summit is too.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:27 PM

875 posts, read 7,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
The Big Bear area is nice, but I wouldn't live there. The little towns are quaint, but they close down at 9:00. It's not really a hip place for young people.

If you want to move to CA and be near skiing, try the far east suburbs of LA, such as Riverside and Rancho Cucamonga. They're significantly closer to skiing than the rest of SoCal, but the area's developed enough that there's some actual life.
Riverside is not a suburb of Los Angeles, it's in it's own county. San Bernardino is at the foot of a 6k high mountain range, where Big Bear and Snow Summit Ski Resorts are located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties