Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2015, 10:07 AM

5 posts, read 6,563 times

Advertisements

I'm seeking helpful information on retiring and buying a home in Cathedral Cove after a lifetime living in Chicago.

My partner and I are two gay men in our late 50s who are finally looking at early retirement. We've been visiting the Coachella Valley 4 to 6 times a year for the past 15 years. Yes, we've been there in every month of the year including many summer visits. (We know how hot it gets and other than A/C bills it does not scare me.) We've had friends through the years who moved and most are happy with their decision. (Some moved too far north and got tired of the wind filling their pool with silt.)

For years I've gone house hunting on almost every visit. Of all the places Cathedral Cove seems to suit me best. PS is nice but expensive (I would like to spend no more than $350k for a 3 bedroom house). Lately PD appeals to me now that there's (finally) a Whole Foods. For others who have moved to Cathedral Cove what do you think? What do you love and hate about living in the Cove?

For other retires from the Midwest who have moved to the desert full-time, what surprised you the most? (Good or bad.)

Thanks to everyone with constructive advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 12:28 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Ok, full disclosure. I am not a retiree nor am I from the midwest. I am not even a Coachella Valley resident. However, I just came back that area having just vacationed in Rancho Mirage.

Cathedral City in that cove area is a very attractive area since it is tucked away from the main road and since it is tucked in between the PS and Rancho Mirage. It also allows for quick access to PS, restaurants etc. All in all, a nice area. The other side of Cathedral City and the areas closer to the main roads seemed to have more than enough drifters/homeless, meth addicts (many of them gay it seems) waiting at bus stops, and just people you would want to avoid.

Although much more sterile than PS, I like Rancho Mirage a little better as the restaurants are very nice and most of the homes are spectacular, but that part of Cathedral City is nice too and a more realistic choice on our middle class budgets. Obama is reputed to have purchased in RM.

PS to me is overpriced and a bit gritty. And then there is a gay premium to PS that is just absurd when it is a bit past its prime and neighboring cities offer the same things. Unlike others, the 1950s thing can get old and dull for me and seeing businesses and motels that look, frankly, old and ugly, brightly painted though they may be, does not magically become charming to me since it is vintage. PS also seems not to be quite as nice as it was 10 years ago. I don't mean that I dislike it, because I do not, it is just that it is a bit gritty in spots with more unsavory characters than I remember years ago.

Overall I think you are making a great choice especially if you have a pool (a little less wind in that cove). During the summer months, you will have to come out to the coast at times, but then again with that pool and a cold drink, you'll be fine.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:32 AM

375 posts, read 608,949 times
Default Realtor for Cathedral Cove?

Also interested to know more about Cathedral Cove, particularly from those who live there re crime and safety in general. If anyone can suggest a great gay middle aged realtor, please DM me. Thanks.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:18 PM

581 posts, read 920,281 times
Look here to get some Cove info

myCCcove California : Cathedral City California Neighborhood Information & Events

The realtors who created this site would be a good resource for you.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:11 AM

5 posts, read 6,563 times
Update December 2016: We spent most of 2016 house hunting across the valley from PS to CC, RM, and PD and in September closed on a house in Cathedral Cove. We're still adjusting but so far are very happy with our choice. (And thank you to Murfslaw for the advice you offered over the years. I really appreciated it.)

Anyone who is searching and has questions, please feel free to post and/or ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties