Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2008, 05:14 PM

107 posts, read 580,080 times

Advertisements

this is how i define IE:

IE (Inland Empire) used to mean Riverside county and part of the city of San Bernardino. Roughly the portions East of the 215/91 freeway. But like any so cal wild fire, it spreads.

In those days, IE was Inland Empire. people say the whole thing, no abbreviations. I believe the further west it moved, the LA influence got to the name and Inland Empire became "IE"

then, the area code came into play. Few years ago, SB and riverside county became 909. It used to be 714, but now its 909. all of a sudden. even towns west of Riverside county and the towns on the western borders of SB county became IE as well. Rancho cucamonga and Upland was never IE until IE became synonymous with the label "909."

by this stage, it has creep across the 15 freeway and making fast progress towards the 57 freeway.

well, riverside has gone to 951 area code since 2004, but the rest of the us on the eastern front of the 909 got stuck with the IE label.

even the new-age Claremont (LA county) are considered IE now by some hardcore LA'ers (thats not even a word, i meant Angelenos).

when will it stop? it won't

i wouldn't be surprised at all if this IE business creeps even more westward. Give it a few more years, and towns like San Dimas, Glendora and La Verne will become IE because portions of these towns are east of the 57 freeway. Even though, they are technically part of the San Gabriel Valley. Which is the Eastern border of LA county.

I believe it will keep going after IE has included Covina and walnut. the 605 is now possible. ah, yes, the 605... pride of LA for its horrendous traffic. LA will never give that up. not the southern portion anyway. the label IE might never include El Monte (that will take decades), but look at the map! San Dimas and La Verne are in sight, they are about to fall to the victim of being labeled IE. I think the good people of LA will chew off their legs like a bear that was trapped, and give up cities such as Irwindale, Azusa and Duarte!

this is my observations and definition. what does the term IE mean to you? how do you define it?

Last edited by waggie; 01-08-2008 at 05:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 05:22 PM

4 posts, read 29,967 times
Valley of the Dirt People as the OC and LA snobs kindly refer to it. Bastards.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:27 PM

107 posts, read 580,080 times
yeah, but how do YOU define it? to you, what does IE include?

Old 01-08-2008, 05:30 PM

489 posts, read 1,914,287 times
Lightbulb Gotta love wikipedia!!!

Wikipedia defines it as the following, which I believe is widely accepted:

Unlike most metropolitan areas that have grown up around a central city, the Inland Empire is composed of many small and medium sized cities and unincorporated communities that together form the 14th-largest metropolitan area in the nation, with a population of 4.03 million. Los Angeles County and Orange County border the Inland Empire to the West; Inyo and Kern to the North, San Diego and Imperial County to the South and the States of Arizona and Nevada to the East. The Inland Empire stretches from the Pomona Valley through the San Bernardino Valley, encompassing the San Bernardino Mountains and the high and low deserts to the Nevada and Arizona state lines. Suburban sprawl, centering around the cities of Riverside, San Bernardino, and Ontario, spreads out to form a unified whole with the Greater Los Angeles area, with further development encroaching past the mountains into the outlying desert areas. The San Bernardino valley floor houses roughly over 80% of the total human population in the IE. Only a few cities on the eastern edge of Los Angeles County that share an area code with the rest of the region are also considered to be in the Inland Empire. Some residents call the area "the 909" (after the region's primary telephone area code, 909). In 2004 because of growing demand for telephone numbers most of Riverside County was granted a new area code, 951.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:32 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,027,811 times
I'm in the CV so I always figured the IE started as soon as I got into the Redlands/Yucaipa area. I thought the IE stopped somewhere around the Corona area before it turns into the OC area. I don't consider the high desert to be the IE, so I guess the IE would stop at the Devore/Glen Helen area, then on the otjer side, the Temecula area, I'm not really sure because I don't spend that much time (if any) in that area.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:10 PM

875 posts, read 1,092,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waggie View Post
this is how i define IE:

IE (Inland Empire) used to mean Riverside county and part of the city of San Bernardino. Roughly the portions East of the 215/91 freeway. But like any so cal wild fire, it spreads.

In those days, IE was Inland Empire. people say the whole thing, no abbreviations. I believe the further west it moved, the LA influence got to the name and Inland Empire became "IE"

then, the area code came into play. Few years ago, SB and riverside county became 909. It used to be 714, but now its 909. all of a sudden. even towns west of Riverside county and the towns on the western borders of SB county became IE as well. Rancho cucamonga and Upland was never IE until IE became synonymous with the label "909."

by this stage, it has creep across the 15 freeway and making fast progress towards the 57 freeway.

well, riverside has gone to 951 area code since 2004, but the rest of the us on the eastern front of the 909 got stuck with the IE label.

even the new-age Claremont (LA county) are considered IE now by some hardcore LA'ers (thats not even a word, i meant Angelenos).

when will it stop? it won't

i wouldn't be surprised at all if this IE business creeps even more westward. Give it a few more years, and towns like San Dimas, Glendora and La Verne will become IE because portions of these towns are east of the 57 freeway. Even though, they are technically part of the San Gabriel Valley. Which is the Eastern border of LA county.

I believe it will keep going after IE has included Covina and walnut. the 605 is now possible. ah, yes, the 605... pride of LA for its horrendous traffic. LA will never give that up. not the southern portion anyway. the label IE might never include El Monte (that will take decades), but look at the map! San Dimas and La Verne are in sight, they are about to fall to the victim of being labeled IE. I think the good people of LA will chew off their legs like a bear that was trapped, and give up cities such as Irwindale, Azusa and Duarte!

this is my observations and definition. what does the term IE mean to you? how do you define it?
As someone who was born and raised in San Bernardino, and in her mid 50's now, I can say the whole county of Riverside was never the Inland Empire in my day. When I was growing up, the city of Riverside, and San Bernardino were the Inland Empire.

I can also say, that until Kellogg Hill - in LA, started getting cut down to build homes, San Bernardino and Riverside didn't have any smog problems either.

Until the low-life's from Los Angeles started pouring into both Riverside and San Bernardino, they were wonderful places to live.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:32 AM

7 posts, read 57,836 times
ladysrodgers pretty much hit it on the head.......except for the part about the smog. If you do your research on the san bernardino and riverside areas you will find that the Indians that settled the region referred to the areas as "the valley of smoke". Since San Bernardino and Riverside Counties are nestled between the encircling mountains......and all smoke(in early days) and smog (in our day) are stuck in the valley by the mountains. Furthermore, I was always under the impression that IE referred to the valley.......everything nestled between the mountains. (San Bernardino and Riverside Counties)

Old 01-13-2008, 05:15 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,292,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV in the IE View Post
Valley of the Dirt People as the OC and LA snobs kindly refer to it. Bastards.
Well ... they can be snobby all they like. The growth out here is phenomenal. Housing may be tanking but commercial construction is booming ... at least where I live. There doesn't seem to be much of a recession out here.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:40 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,389,029 times
Actually, with growth, anywhere can turn into snobs-ville, it depends on where the people come from orginally. Heck, Apple Valley used to be a cozy little town (among many others in CA) where everyone knew everyone but once more people started moving to, they bring their ritzy lifestyles, crime and/or problems with them. (Everywhere is like that though ) There are many who are still good ol' folks, they are outnumbered. Personally I still find the high desert the nicest place, of all of Calif. But again, many people will have different views on that.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:53 AM

875 posts, read 1,092,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrainbolt View Post
ladysrodgers pretty much hit it on the head.......except for the part about the smog. If you do your research on the san bernardino and riverside areas you will find that the Indians that settled the region referred to the areas as "the valley of smoke". Since San Bernardino and Riverside Counties are nestled between the encircling mountains......and all smoke(in early days) and smog (in our day) are stuck in the valley by the mountains. Furthermore, I was always under the impression that IE referred to the valley.......everything nestled between the mountains. (San Bernardino and Riverside Counties)
Yes I'm aware about "the valley of smoke," however, if you'd grown up in San Bernardino in the 50's you would have seen what I'm talking about. There used to be mountains that kept the smog from Los Angeles in the LA basin. Once they started hacking them down (Kellogg Hill was the first), the smog got worse by far.

Actually, Redlands was part of the Inland Empire too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties