Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2015, 01:49 PM

8 posts, read 30,133 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Redlands/Loma Linda area for 4 years (school) and my husband and I are looking at rental houses in the area.

How do you find out if a house's construction is up to code in earthquake-readiness?

What about for the actual university and hospital buildings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 02:09 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,432,086 times
This might help you.

Homeowner’s Guide to Earthquake Safety
(53 page PDF file)
This guide was been developed and adopted by the California Seismic Safety Commission as required by Assembly Bill 2959 and Assembly Bill 200

Honestly - anything built after the 90's would be perfectly safe.
Any public building built before that has been retrofitted and deemed safe.
"Safe" being - we're not hit with a 9+

Had a house built in 1952 that had not been retrofitted - and it breezed through several 5.0's and larger, no damage whatsoever. It was located 1/4 mile from the San Andreas fault. The swimming pool sloshed

Old 02-17-2015, 03:44 PM

Thanks! The year guideline is a good point, I'll keep that in mind!

Do you know if there is somewhere you can look up an individual building's assessment? I imagine that if someone is putting up a place for rental, they have to have evidence that the property has been assessed by some sort of regulatory standards?

A seismic assessment report on hospital buildings was released, and some of the medical buildings were graded 1/5 and are being forced to retrofit or replace. So I'm curious about other buildings where I'll be spending time.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:25 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,432,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piggywings View Post
Do you know if there is somewhere you can look up an individual building's assessment? I imagine that if someone is putting up a place for rental, they have to have evidence that the property has been assessed by some sort of regulatory standards?
I don't think there is any place like that. Never heard of one anyway
Rental laws vary city to city - most are just worried about smoke alarms, etc etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by piggywings View Post
A seismic assessment report on hospital buildings was released, and some of the medical buildings were graded 1/5 and are being forced to retrofit or replace. So I'm curious about other buildings where I'll be spending time.
Eh, they knew that long ago. They wait until they're forced to - because of the cost.

With the earthquake questions, I take it you're not a native? We continually get shaken around and most of the time we don't even know it. We have hundreds under 2.0 all the time. No one notices them.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:54 PM

Hmm interesting, surprising there isn't a central place to look it up!

Yes, we're moving from the Midwest. It's not the little earthquakes that concern me, it's setting up camp for 4 years practically on top of a fault line 200 yrs overdue for a high-magnitude quake. It's different from when people moving to the midwest worry about tornadoes - there's a very low chance that their path will intersect with your house, though it can be catastrophic if it does. An earthquake is unavoidable, and a 6-7+ earthquake is inevitable in the future. Whether it's 6 days or 6 decades from now, who knows. That's when structural integrity makes the biggest difference, so it's important for our peace of mind to know. If I grew up around earthquakes and were used to them, I might not be as concerned subjectively, but objectively the concerns would still be there.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:05 PM

80 posts, read 135,331 times
My 1955 house survived the 1992 Landers quake at 7.3 magnitude with no damage. And, it's under 5 miles from the epicenter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties