Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2015, 10:19 AM

11 posts, read 15,991 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, sorry for the crosspost from the LA forum, but wasn't exactly sure where to put this.

We're in the process of evaluating a potential job opportunity and are trying to figure out if it's feasible. It would put one of us working in downtown LA (near the Ace Hotel) and the other working out in Perris CA. Both of us would be working standard business hours.

Is this doable? It seems like Metrolink would be the best bet for commuting into and out of DTLA. As such, I've looked at a few towns with direct Metrolink access and it seems like Fullerton/Orange, Pomona/East Ontario or the Montclair/Claremont areas would be the best bet. Can I expect a reverse commute from any of these areas to Perris? I'm not familiar with any of these towns (thus far have only looked based on commute) - would you recommend any one over the other? We would be renting with a monthly budget of around $2000-$2500.

It seems like Fullerton could be a good middle ground. About 60-ish minutes to Perris and 60-65 to DTLA, while being a little closer to the beach vs. towns on the San Bernardino or Riverside lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 10:33 AM

452 posts, read 619,574 times
I cant answer 100% of your questions, but have some input on a couple.

Your reverse commute to Perris would be light. I've seen traffic on the 60 east in the mornings, but not like it is going west. Coming home, the 15 north and 57 north get busy in the afternoons, which would apply to you in Pomona or Claremont.

I would choose very northern Pomona, and Claremont, over Montclair and East Ontario anyday. And Fullerton over all those. Well, maybe not Claremont, that's a nice town

You're going to have a busy commute into DTLA during "normal hours" no matter what you do, but if the train works for you that's better than driving.

Start pulling up Google Maps during different times of the day, and turn the traffic feature on. You will start to see patterns based on times and days. This can help you decide as well.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:30 PM

Thanks for the feedback, 909er. Yeah, I've been checking google maps at different times throughout the morning, which is sort of what led me to those towns to begin with.

What makes you say northern Pomona & Claremont over Fullerton (just curious)?

Old 03-10-2015, 07:22 AM

Bump. Looking for some more feedback on this - specifically Claremont / Northern Pomona area to Perris. Based on tracking google traffic for the past few weeks, it seems pretty smooth?

Old 03-12-2015, 12:05 AM

6 posts, read 15,570 times
I'd definitely choose Claremont over Fullerton. This is more of a personal preference, but I really don't get along well with Orange County as a whole. A bit too conservative for me. I find Claremont to be great - natural beauty, great public schools, a thriving downtown, near hiking trails (Claremont Loop), near other decent cities (Upland, La Verne, Glendora, San Dimas). Claremont is also very upscale for the most part, but the residents there are very friendly (the type to say "hello" as you walk by) and down-to-earth. It's also a much smaller town, and feels very quaint and intimate!

I would honestly avoid any part of Pomona, and if you were to visit both Claremont and Pomona you'd see the stark (and unfortunate) contrast of the two. I hope that Pomona will one day regain its vibrance, but today is not that day. I would also avoid Montclair and Ontario.

If you're renting, you may want to check out Upland. The northern area is great (though the city has had recent government/money issues) and would probably offer more affordable rent than Claremont.

Just my two cents.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:57 AM

Great, thanks for the feedback. Sounds like Claremont would be a good transition from where we'll be coming from in small-town New England.

I had read North Pomona was pretty nice, which is why it made it on the list. We certainly need to spend some time out there to get a feel for the area though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties