Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 06:48 PM

1 posts, read 5,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy05 View Post
Yucca Valley and Joshua Tree are diamonds in the rough. Everyone here seems to dream that they would live in a better place, when, really it's right beneath them. Yucca Valley and Joshua Tree are idyllic future towns to live in with the clean air, wide open spaces, and a definite local community. Bring your vision. The housing is and will continue to be affordable. There are miles of hiking trails. The sunsets, sunrises, and night sky are amazing. We share our space with roadrunners, coyotes, cottontails, and woodpeckers. The hummingbirds never fail to make their rounds. Did I mention the wildflowers that pop up in the Spring? When I need to go to Trader Joes or The Cheesecake Factory, I go down to Palm Springs/Palm Desert. Down there, there are a multitude of restaurants and retail shops to frequent. So living in Joshua Tree, I can have my cake (quiet, simple living) and eat my cake too--by going down the hill. Within 1 hour, we are fortunate to have Big Bear Lake for boating and fishing, Mt. San Jacinto for fun snow play in an alpine setting, and Palm Springs for the resort lifestyle. Within 3 hours, we have San Diego and Las Vegas. Within 5 hours, we have Zion, The Grand Canyon, Phoenix and The whole Eastern Sierra. Like I said, we have our cake and get to eat it.

The other side of living in Joshua Tree and Yucca Valley. We live among the poor and uneducated. You must be selective with the people you choose to associate with. There are artistic, civic, self-determined people, yet, the other half seem to be trolls with bad drug habits, or feigned disability. I used to worry about this, but the like-minded trolls seem to keep to themselves and inflict crimes on each others, so thus far, by the grace of god or statistics, I've managed to live a peaceful existence in the Morongo Basin. People complain about the heat, I love it, yes...it really is a dry heat. We also get snow, flooding and any other kind of weather you could imagine. We have scorpions, although not poisonous, and ants, and other scary creatures. Earthquakes and fires are also problematic.

So there are the pros and cons. If you happen to experience the pros and cons, you've lived life.
I have read this writing of yours a number of times and extract good things each time. I also appreciate the balance of your perspective as I do not reside in CA. Having only "toured" this piece of the planet, your experiences living here shed valuable light on the things that an outsider wants to know. Thank you for a view that is not readily available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 11:57 AM

5 posts, read 49,994 times
How is growing food in Joshua tree? How's the community in regards to art/culture/ alternative schools? Is it just straight desert or is there some greenery? How long is the drive to riverside?

Old 04-29-2009, 04:14 PM

1 posts, read 5,837 times
Hello, I 'm a musician (piano and guitar) with two dear musical friends in Yucca Valley, Alice & Albert, who play at Pappy & Harriet's & Beatnik Cafe in YV occasionally, plus at Joshua Tree Music Festivals. I plan to move to YV or Joshua Tree. I'm on Soc.Sec. retirement and my job might end next year (we're nonprofit and no grants are coming). I have three good indoor cats, lots of books, and a piano. Was up in summer and because it is dry the heat doesn't bother me. Raised in Tucson and have lived in San Diego 50 years (in Ocean Beach for 33). I can afford $400-$500 a month rent maximum, a one-bedroom. Guess the only negative I heard on this website was flash floods, oh boy. If any residents up there wish to contact me, [mod] Please only send DMs [/mod]

Old 04-14-2013, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 4,071 times
i too want to live in Joshua Tree area...the closer to Joshua Tree National Park the better. I am a single person and need a nice cabin with a shaded porch...If you have anything like that for a retired woman with fixed income let me know...I want to start painting and get back into the art scene...I am also looking for land or property where i maybe able to build my own adobe home...I love wildlife and always have...I dont mind the dangers of earthquakes or flash floods cause it is part of nature also..we humans have buiilt an intolerance for what we cant control...I relinquish...thanks for any help on finding a place...I may also want to build a small garden or green house area ...and am interested in learning conservation principals and volunteering at the park or local library.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:45 PM

370 posts, read 1,564,108 times
Probably should have started a new post, huh? I saw a SFR with an art studio in Joshua Tree. I don't know if $900 will work on a fixed income.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:28 PM

2 posts, read 6,648 times
Very affordable real estate:
I moved to Yucca Valley 2 years ago when I purchased a house for $ 22,000.--. 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, 0.3 acres for this price was a superb buy. However, the house is in a "bad neighborhood". What makes the neighborhood "bad" is the fact that it is a low income area. It attracts people, as its reputation suggests, who have low income. I didn't have great concerns about it, as my belief was that low income people have a right to rent and own as well. After moving to my house and living here, I began to understand that the neighborhood has a severe problem past "low income", namely a big drug problem. Many people here are into illegal drugs of all kinds. My next door neighbor, who is a very young man, is using and selling drugs. Recently he showed me proudly his newly acquired medical marijuana card and along with that 2 certificates displaying his entitlement to marijuana cultivation. The traffic to and from his house and his popularity are remarkable. Whether local law enforcement is aware of this situation is unknown. As long as the drug problem exists, home values will remain low, predictably. Does one have to accept crime as the price of affordable housing ?
There were 3 murders within the last 3 months here in Yucca Valley, whereas the town's population is around 20,000. This is relatively high.

California's financial black hole:
The fundamental problem is that medical marijuana is granted to almost everybody. Back pain, headaches, anxiety, stuttering, being overweight, or having nightmares, qualify for medical marijuana, to give a few examples. In the past, only HIV, cancer, and glaucoma qualified for usage of medical marijuana. With such a tolerant marijuana allowance, the population of marijuana users will continue to grow. Which in turn generates a high population of low income, or rather no-income people. I can not understand why young people willingly and voluntarily wish to damage their brains with such substances instead of obtaining an education and pursuing a decent career. That the availability of (good) jobs in Yucca Valley is true, but when there is a will, there is a way. With (medical) marijuana, there is neither a will, nor a way. This extreme tolerance towards (medical) marijuana leads to a high crime rate, a burden on the state's financial status, and a chronic stagnation in quality of life. Unless and until the law in California changes and medical marijuana is limited to HIV, cancer, and glaucoma again, California will not be able to reverse its alleged financial crisis, I opine. I propose Californians consider this reality in the next election. Revenues, quality of life, and a sound infrastructure do not advance when marijuana usage becomes the standard of life.

A jewel in the desert:
Yucca Valley has the potential to become a jewel in the desert. As it is in the high desert, the summers are cooler than for instance in Palm Springs. It attracts new businesses. Joshua Tree's and 29 Palms' residents come to Yucca Valley for their shopping at Wal-Mart and Home Depot. Land is inexpensive, home prices are affordable. Palm Springs is at reach in 40 minutes for additional shopping, if needed. The infrastructure looks promising by my evaluation, provided above mentioned problem regarding drug abuse is contained. In addition, a public swimming pool, more playgrounds, expansion of the education system towards higher education, availability of quality vocational training/schools, and well-structured youth centers would contribute to improvements in quality of life.

Onward, visit Yucca Valley and look around. I live here and do my part to improve the quality of life in Yucca Valley.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:11 AM

9 posts, read 26,451 times
I have lived in Joshua Tree for 16 years and mostly like it - except in the hot summers and cold winters. We retired here partly for the low cost of real estate (MUCH lower than the low desert). DO NOT move here intending to find employment. Most people here go "down the hill" (Palm Springs, Rancho Mirage, etc.) for jobs. Many people here must settle for part time, minimum wage jobs, even those supporting a family. If you want a good choice of stores and restaurants, you will need to drive about 100 miles more or less to the low desert. The main stores here are Walmart and Home Depot.

I like it here and know many very nice people. BUT... I have seen more beggars and people with mental problems here than I ever saw in my life before I moved here. There always seems to be someone holding a cardboard sign asking for money, work, help, etc.

What do I like about this place? The beautiful views, the wide open spaces (I have 2 acres), the small-town atmosphere, etc. People are friendly here. They know me by name in the Post Office, stores, bank, restaurants, etc. When I lived in Orange County I didn't even know the names of my next door neighbors. I also enjoy the birds and wildlife. I hear a lot about the snakes here, but in 16 years I have only seen two on my property, neither one harmful. I am more worried about the two pit bulls next door. For some reason, people seem to love pit bulls in the desert. Luckily, my property is fenced and so is theirs.

By the way, don't be confused. This area is definitely HIGH DESERT. That means lower temperatures in summer and colder winters. It snows here about every other year, but it usually does not stay on the ground.

Good luck to you!

Old 09-22-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVResident View Post
Very affordable real estate:
I moved to Yucca Valley 2 years ago when I purchased a house for $ 22,000.--. 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, 0.3 acres for this price was a superb buy. However, the house is in a "bad neighborhood". What makes the neighborhood "bad" is the fact that it is a low income area. It attracts people, as its reputation suggests, who have low income. I didn't have great concerns about it, as my belief was that low income people have a right to rent and own as well. After moving to my house and living here, I began to understand that the neighborhood has a severe problem past "low income", namely a big drug problem. Many people here are into illegal drugs of all kinds. My next door neighbor, who is a very young man, is using and selling drugs. Recently he showed me proudly his newly acquired medical marijuana card and along with that 2 certificates displaying his entitlement to marijuana cultivation. The traffic to and from his house and his popularity are remarkable. Whether local law enforcement is aware of this situation is unknown. As long as the drug problem exists, home values will remain low, predictably. Does one have to accept crime as the price of affordable housing ?
There were 3 murders within the last 3 months here in Yucca Valley, whereas the town's population is around 20,000. This is relatively high.

California's financial black hole:
The fundamental problem is that medical marijuana is granted to almost everybody. Back pain, headaches, anxiety, stuttering, being overweight, or having nightmares, qualify for medical marijuana, to give a few examples. In the past, only HIV, cancer, and glaucoma qualified for usage of medical marijuana. With such a tolerant marijuana allowance, the population of marijuana users will continue to grow. Which in turn generates a high population of low income, or rather no-income people. I can not understand why young people willingly and voluntarily wish to damage their brains with such substances instead of obtaining an education and pursuing a decent career. That the availability of (good) jobs in Yucca Valley is true, but when there is a will, there is a way. With (medical) marijuana, there is neither a will, nor a way. This extreme tolerance towards (medical) marijuana leads to a high crime rate, a burden on the state's financial status, and a chronic stagnation in quality of life. Unless and until the law in California changes and medical marijuana is limited to HIV, cancer, and glaucoma again, California will not be able to reverse its alleged financial crisis, I opine. I propose Californians consider this reality in the next election. Revenues, quality of life, and a sound infrastructure do not advance when marijuana usage becomes the standard of life.

A jewel in the desert:
Yucca Valley has the potential to become a jewel in the desert. As it is in the high desert, the summers are cooler than for instance in Palm Springs. It attracts new businesses. Joshua Tree's and 29 Palms' residents come to Yucca Valley for their shopping at Wal-Mart and Home Depot. Land is inexpensive, home prices are affordable. Palm Springs is at reach in 40 minutes for additional shopping, if needed. The infrastructure looks promising by my evaluation, provided above mentioned problem regarding drug abuse is contained. In addition, a public swimming pool, more playgrounds, expansion of the education system towards higher education, availability of quality vocational training/schools, and well-structured youth centers would contribute to improvements in quality of life.

Onward, visit Yucca Valley and look around. I live here and do my part to improve the quality of life in Yucca Valley.
I wonder if you live in Paradise Valley? If so, your description is right on. Some of us call it "Parasite Valley." The local police call it "Felony Flats!"

Old 09-22-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lashad View Post
How is growing food in Joshua tree? How's the community in regards to art/culture/ alternative schools? Is it just straight desert or is there some greenery? How long is the drive to riverside?
I don't know about culture, but there are many serious artists here. Some people grow their own food, although I understand it is a challenge because of the poor soil and lack of rain. About greenery - we do have joshua trees and yuccas here, not much more. It will take you about 1-1/2 hours to drive to Riverside.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightnurse613 View Post
Probably should have started a new post, huh? I saw a SFR with an art studio in Joshua Tree. I don't know if $900 will work on a fixed income.
$900 is high for a rental unless it is VERY nice. Decent rentals can be found for much less in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties