Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 12:54 PM

451 posts, read 1,323,727 times

Advertisements

This is just my opinion- if you have to commute to and from LA during rush hour traffic every single weekday, I would say that is very stressful. I know many do it. But, you do this for long time, it will take a toll-wear and tear on the car, money spent on gas, quality of life will be greatly reduced and take a toll on your health as well. If you still chose this commute and happen to work in Downtown LA or parts close to the Metrolink Station then I would chose that over driving in bad traffic every single week day. I know an earlier post stated the same thing I will agree totally. I know some do it because they are priced out of living closer to work. For me, I would rather live in a smaller place much closer to work than a large home but have to deal that commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 03:22 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,659,658 times
My half-brother, who lives in Rancho Cucamonga, would commute to Sylmar in the San Fernando Valley. He ended up renting a small apartment near his job and staying during the week rather than making the daily commute round trip.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:06 PM

925 posts, read 1,064,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twnxn View Post
This is just my opinion- if you have to commute to and from LA during rush hour traffic every single weekday, I would say that is very stressful. I know many do it. But, you do this for long time, it will take a toll-wear and tear on the car, money spent on gas, quality of life will be greatly reduced and take a toll on your health as well. If you still chose this commute and happen to work in Downtown LA or parts close to the Metrolink Station then I would chose that over driving in bad traffic every single week day. I know an earlier post stated the same thing I will agree totally. I know some do it because they are priced out of living closer to work. For me, I would rather live in a smaller place much closer to work than a large home but have to deal that commute.
I agree working anywhere close to a Metrolink Station or a LA Metro rail station which connects at LA Union Station would greatly ease the commute. My Metrolink train is packed each weekday by the time it reaches Montclair on the way to LA with people with the same ideas.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:50 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,137,023 times
They don't call it the "Insane" Empire for no reason.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
They don't call it the "Insane" Empire for no reason.
The IE commutes to LA are actually better than the commutes in most cities of the world. I periodically work in DC and it's not out of the ordinary there for people to have 80 mile one way commutes. Also not uncommon in the NYC and London Metros.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:59 AM

266 posts, read 319,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
The IE commutes to LA are actually better than the commutes in most cities of the world. I periodically work in DC and it's not out of the ordinary there for people to have 80 mile one way commutes. Also not uncommon in the NYC and London Metros.
I've anecdotally heard of this. Do you know of any articles/material that substantiate these claims?

Old 05-17-2016, 10:30 AM

451 posts, read 1,323,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
However, I think some of the large metros of the world have much better mass transit, public transportation options. New York and London are cities with more accessible public transportation options than say Southern California. Our metro are usually just goes a straight line. Many other cities may have metro that are circular or have multiple lines. Thus, here in Southern California it is just east-west or north-south, but nothing between. If your destination is not along these lines, then the Metrolink will not be much help, unfortunately.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:30 AM

Just my experience working in these cities. However don't think it's a surprise to anyone as the prices to live close in are exhorbinant just like LA.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:43 PM

5 posts, read 16,314 times
I bought a home in Cucamonga while working in DTLA. I had no idea the commute would be 2 hours each way, sometimes 3 hours if there was an accident. I left home at 5:45am to arrive to work by 7:45; got home sometimes by 7pm. I commuted for almost 3 years; it was extremely hard on my body, health and family life. When we had the huge gas hike I believe in 2008 or 2009 gas was $5 a gallon, I spent $300-400 a week on gas. I tried using the commuter train but it seemed like people were always sick, smelly or the bus from the station to my job was always late. Then I commuted to OC for 3 years, which was not so bad (45min-1hr to OC, 1-1.5hrs back). Also, I commuted to Murrieta from RC for another three years, 50 miles each way and it was not a bad commute at all. I've sold my home and still live in the area but would never make that daily commute to DTLA again for a job unless I was getting paid big bucks or it was after rush hour traffic. Otherwise, I would just move closer to LA if I was working there daily. Is it worth buying a home in Fontana, Ontario or RC to commute to Los Angeles? To each his own, I suppose it depends on their situation. I wouldn't do it again.

Last edited by Cherished231; 05-20-2016 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-20-2016, 06:02 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherished231 View Post
I bought a home in Cucamonga while working in DTLA. I had no idea the commute would be 2 hours each way, sometimes 3 hours if there was an accident.
You had no idea the commute would be that long?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties