Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 09:50 PM

3 posts, read 23,659 times

Advertisements

Could someone please give me an honest answer about living here full time? I am moving in a few weeks with my pregnant wife and our 2 year old daughter. I personally could live in a box, and wouldn't give two shiites, but I love her dearly, and she wants very much to "nest" as they say. We've been unstable since before number one was born, as far as money and living spaces, and we found a nice little place a bit east of Maple Ln. that she just loves. I was excited that it didn't smell like animal urine, especially after the last 23 places we looked at did just that, and ferociously so! It has a great kitchen and she loves to cook AND bake, and does both very well. A fast metabolism is all that's saved me from Michelin Man status. Anyways...this is the best opportunity we've had in half a decade, and I hate reading stuff about what a dump it is, druggies, crime is terrible, etc. I cannot afford to pay the higher rents near the lake and the village, so this is the best I can do with what I have right now. Yes some of the people seem a little more "rural" or whatever, but a lot of people seemed quite a bit friendlier than we are used to in San Diego. We are both originally from colder climates with more down to earth people anyway, so SoCal has never really done much for us. Life is what you make it, right? Any thoughts welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 07:12 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
We love visiting Big Bear but have never lived there. Hope it works out for you and your family.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-b...reas-stay.html

A much older thread, but it does have posts from people who live there: http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-b...ig-bear-2.html

Old 10-18-2015, 09:36 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,389,384 times
Quote:
I hate reading stuff about what a dump it is, druggies, crime is terrible
But it's the truth. Unless you can afford a half a million dollar home, you'll not be living well. Lots of illegals (sorry if that offends people), welfare moms and strip malls.

If you want to live in the mountains the FAR superior choice is Lake Arrowhead, or its surrounding communities. You can rent a home there for $1200 a month and Arrowhead is more accessible, prettier and FAR safer. I have lived in both Big Bear and now live in Arrowhead. You couldn't pay me to return to Big Bear. Just my .02 cents.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:04 PM

Default Ignorance not welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
We love visiting Big Bear but have never lived there. Hope it works out for you and your family.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-b...reas-stay.html

A much older thread, but it does have posts from people who live there: http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-b...ig-bear-2.html
Thank you very much for that...very enlightening. Just what I needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
But it's the truth. Unless you can afford a half a million dollar home, you'll not be living well. Lots of illegals (sorry if that offends people), welfare moms and strip malls.

If you want to live in the mountains the FAR superior choice is Lake Arrowhead, or its surrounding communities. You can rent a home there for $1200 a month and Arrowhead is more accessible, prettier and FAR safer. I have lived in both Big Bear and now live in Arrowhead. You couldn't pay me to return to Big Bear. Just my .02 cents.
I grew up going to Arrowhead as a teenager with my parents, summers and winters, and while I loved it, it seemed very elitist. On our last trip up, we stopped in on the way down the mountain, and it just seemed like a lot of the same, but worse. We are simple, family people and accepting of all types.

"Illegals"?? Why leave out that second word? If your going to offend, then don't be a coward about it. "Illegal alien" is the term your looking for. Alien, as in, not even human. I grew up in San Diego, and they are the hardest working people I've ever met. They are family people, they are decent and helpful and they just want a better life. No, they won't be your best friends if your white, but with comments like yours, why would they? It didn't start out that way.

Welfare moms are also human beings. Not everyone on public assistance is a derelict. I would actually like to use the lake if I so desire. I'd like to be near real ski resorts and experience snowfall despite climate change. Your two cents has about half that value, but as far as helping my decision, absolutely priceless. You couldn't pay me enough to live around someone like you.

Old 10-25-2015, 12:13 PM

Location: OC, Big Bear Lake, Las Vegas NV, Laughlin NV, Palm Desert CA
113 posts, read 422,551 times
I'm in Big Bear Lake and always visit Big Bear City to have dinner all the time. Big Bear City has some good areas and some areas I wouldn't choose to purchase in. When I was looking in Big Bear City with my agent, I totally toured homes that I'd buy right now if looking and I really liked the neighborhoods near the airport and also higher up on the mountain with a nice views.

You just have to tour the different parts of the city and find a nice neighborhood that fits your taste. I would suggest spending a day touring, having lunch, talking with the locals and get a feel for it. That's always the best way to get a feel for the town. Best of luck on your purchase.

Last edited by Oldwestgambler; 10-25-2015 at 12:25 PM..

Old 10-25-2015, 03:23 PM

Thanks OWG...we are not quite at the point where we can afford to buy something, so we are renting for 1 year to see if we like it. We will be living right where E. Big Bear Blvd and 38 (Greensport Rd) intersect, by Lippys Country Store. I get the spot crime alerts every day for the last few weeks, and it seems that area is always quiet, which is reassuring. Any thoughts appreciated.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:14 AM

205 posts, read 409,622 times
Big Bear City is ok. Its WAAAY safer than down the mountain. Why don't you stay for the weekend and explore the different neighborhoods? Don't listen to Ulysses...hes know for writing idiotic things on these boards.

Last edited by jesse977; 10-30-2015 at 12:32 AM..

Old 09-15-2018, 03:52 AM

1 posts, read 5,956 times
I toured Big Bear, Big Bear City, Baldwin Lake and Sugarloaf...i liked the more rural area for horses, but not a fan of the water tank for homes. Im concerned with not much variety of social life if not into skiing or tubing. Places are very small, and any serious medical needs means airlifted down to san bernadino hosp or long drive to doctors.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:21 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,925,052 times
I grew up and eventually raise my family in Big Bear Lake California.
all the roads are vastly improved from that of 50 years ago and more so after earth shaking catastrophic events ,to ensure safer traveling .
Big bear grows with each year with more people , mostly seasonal cabins and homes..
Because it is a resort there are not a lot of jobs locally and those who live there have more than one job or seasonal jobs .
There is an air port, hospital, ambulance, and sheriffs department, and the town has some very devoted individuals that show up in emergencies.
Though the town is built around the lake and fishing the ski slopes are it's main draw world wide . No better place to ski in southern California . And during the summer the ski slopes open up to down hill mountain bike riding
Schools are crowded like every where else.
My wife an I chose to home school . but we did that in other towns we lived as well. Both passed the GED with flying colors .
There are several grocery stores and places to buy cloths but most folk drive down to victorville to shop .
There are 2 theaters 2-3 screens each and play current movies . there was arcade that is entertaining and lots fo shops to peruse . There are bars every where , each have their own personality of course .
There are several good churches around as well and have lots going on all the time for every one,
Growing up and as a family ,we needn't go far to be in the woods and camp and enjoy wild life and peace . I love the woods.
I loved the lake on working on it and the views sun rise and sun set always spectacular.
There is a group that go snowshoeing one a week at night to the top of the mountain and back , I imagine thy hike it during the summer as well on foot . At the top of the hill it is not like any where else on earth it seems , the stars and views from all around is breath taking. There is a group that go to the east end of the valley and put up their telescopes to see the latest thing in the sky .
Though my parents moved us there from the city, Dad's love for the woods rubbed off on me and some of my best memories come from that experience .
The friends I had there are some of the best I have ever known, no where I worked objected my taking time of to rescue a friend or vise versa . These were the kind of people I knew living there.
There are undesirables there just like any where else , it's up to you to discipline your environment . and if you don't, nothing changes.
The cops there are vigilant and board , so being checked out is all part of the program , get use to it.
Once they get to know you you're left alone ,unless you need attention .
People there help one another even strangers get out of ditches and snow chain issues. Oh and 4 wheel drive should not be assumed to be good as dry pavement IT'S NOT. OK

Old 07-22-2019, 08:08 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,925,052 times
I don't have the link but there is a Drone flight over big bear that is just beautiful ,makes me homesick .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties