U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2015, 11:37 PM

93 posts, read 100,249 times

Advertisements

The High desert is a region that will experience growth weither you believe it or not. It's the affordable housing market that was once like Orange County and The Inland Empire before they become developed. History shows even undesireable locations experience growth with an increase of population.

The High Desert attracts those who seek a big home, with a reasonable price for those who don't mind commuting. I much rather live in The High Desert over Phoenix or Vegas. Phoenix is a 7 hour drive from the coast, which makes even Barstow look good. It's all about proximity to ammenities and lifestyle these days.

My question is, do you see Lancaster and Victorville becoming developing suburban centers with sprawly towns inbetweent the two? I figured with High Speed Rail and pressure from a growing population and endless demand of people wanting to live in Southern California, The High Desert will eventually get its time to shine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 01:53 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,574,080 times
No. There's no point. They don't interact with each other. No easy way to get there and no need to build a highway.

Old 12-20-2015, 11:23 AM

Theres already a somewhat major state highway that connects the two.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:19 AM

3,704 posts, read 2,777,403 times
No. The area around Lancaster is largely for people who commute into The Valley and what not for work.

Vicotorville is more people commuting into the the IE.

Old 12-21-2015, 12:39 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,225,816 times
The stretch of desert between AV and VV is really for people who want to live a secluded lifestyle away from hustle and bustle.

It doesn't make sense for everyone else since there is no direct route through to the other side of the SG Mountains. That's why all the development in the High Desert region is in the Lancaster and Victorville areas... they are right by the two only highways that lead to the LA basin side.

Some meaningful development might happen if AV or VV becomes a job center, though...

Old 12-21-2015, 02:24 PM

1,443 posts, read 2,210,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildingsR'Us View Post

...My question is, do you see Lancaster and Victorville becoming developing suburban centers with sprawly towns inbetweent the two? I figured with High Speed Rail and pressure from a growing population and endless demand of people wanting to live in Southern California, The High Desert will eventually get its time to shine?

Eventually, yes I do see this happening. However, I'm thinking of a time frame of 25-50 years.

While the area certainly is affordable for those who don't mind the commute, the lack of jobs has always been the #1 hindrance to growth and, whenever the aerospace industry tanks, the area is especially hard hit.

Primarily because of affordability and a search for better schools, there has been an expansion northward from Los Angeles, but Lancaster and Victorville have not been - and probably will never be - the 1st choices. There are plans for a new community along SR 138 near Gorman, and the Newhall Ranch Project will ultimately build 20,000 homes, so I don't see much happening in the near future for Lancaster or Victorville.

The Lancaster mayor has been very aggressive in bringing jobs to the community, and the High Desert Corridor Project will help, too, but high crime and poor-performing schools will lead renters and buyers to look elsewhere first.

As genjy has stated, many people who settle in between the cities do so because of the solitude, and also because of their love for the beauty of the desert. They will do everything in their power to keep their rural areas rural; less traffic and pollution and safe for their children and animals. So, the "sprawly towns" will probably remain that way for decades to come.

Antelope Valley housing market feels like early '90s again - LA Times

https://www.metro.net/projects/high-desert-corridor/

Old 12-21-2015, 06:19 PM

I know of many High Desert residents along The 15 who are satisfied with just going to Victoria Gardens and Ontario Mills on their leisure weekends. Usually its the suburban crowd who wouldnt step foot in DTLA.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:28 AM

548 posts, read 592,289 times
Phoenix is not 7 hours from the coast. It's about 5 1/2 or 6. We drive all the time.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:23 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,218,608 times
A neighbor of mine that lives next door to one of my lots in Pinon Hills told me that the 18 will be changed to a freeway. The 18 will need to be shut down for construction. Since the 18 will be shut down there is now presently major expansion work/widening being done on the 138. Commuters that normally use the 18 will have to use the 138. The 138 will be able to receive much more traffic while the 18 is being done. Word is that Oasis Rd. in Phelan/Pinon Hills will have an off-ramp/on-ramp from/to the 18 'freeway.' I haven't verified what my neighbor told me but their is major work being done on the 138 at least between the 15 and Sheep Creek Rd. where I get off to go into Phelan/Pinon Hills.

For those in the know please chime in.

-Cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or