Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 05:35 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,014,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
(Then the defendant plea bargained, so we were all excused after 3 days.)
My case was projected to go 7-9 days by the judge plus two full days of jury selection before the case even started (they went through 80-90 people to get to 13 jurors.) I have heard that some judges don't take hardship cases but it seems almost unfathomable to me for anything but cases they know will be short. As I understand it, there is a very limited number of excuses you can use to avoid showing up to court on the date of the summons. But judges have a lot of discrection when it comes to dismissing jurors making their hardship case in person appearing before them. Which is just a long way of saying, hope you don't get an a-hole judge and have your "plan b, c and d" ready if you do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 05:38 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,062,936 times
Just go and tell them you hate gays, blacks, hispanics, etc......you'll be outta there in no time.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
Just go and tell them you hate gays, blacks, hispanics, etc......you'll be outta there in no time.
There were a lot of people requesting "private sidebars" with the judge in my jury case. All of them got dismissed. If you're creative than you probably don't even need to pretend that you're a bigot.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:50 PM

540 posts, read 653,324 times
Quote:
AKA a City Data Politics Forum Contributor.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:24 PM

998 posts, read 786,751 times
Quote:
That doesn't work anymore lol

Old 02-08-2016, 06:27 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,582,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't know what you should expect, but I hope whatever it is, you learn something from it. And BTW, you had better have a good reason and be able to back it up with proof.
How dare he/she disregard the sacred commands of men in suits!! OP you should kneel at the alter called government.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:55 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRoadg View Post
That doesn't work anymore lol
Exactly. They've heard it all and they're not buying it anymore.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Exactly. They've heard it all and they're not buying it anymore.
I disagree, it would depend on the specifics of the case. The judge is absolutely allowed to dismiss people who they feel are biased for/against a certain side. The lawyers are allowed to dismiss a certain number of jurors without cause (i.e., for essentially any reason.) If the plaintiff and defendent in the case are both white and heterosexual than claiming you are biased against black, latino, gay etc. wouldn't necessarily get you dismissed.

Jury Selection in Criminal Cases | Nolo.com

Old 02-11-2016, 05:12 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
The judge is absolutely allowed to dismiss people who they feel are biased for/against a certain side. The lawyers are allowed to dismiss a certain number....
Obviously. Point being that they've heard all the stories before (that used to work) and they have come down much harder in the past few years with letting potential jurors off.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:03 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,618,718 times
Actually, there's a surefire way to get dismissed, that doesn't involve pretending to be a bigot, or pretending to show bias.

Simply ask too many questions of the lawyers. Be a nuisance. Be overly inquisitive. BE A PEST.

They'll kick you right out of there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties