U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-10-2008, 06:44 PM

10 posts, read 33,298 times
Default palm springs tramway

Can anyone tell me what area this is in in palm springs? I am considering moving to ps villas and want to know if this is a good area as it is right by the tramway. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 09:21 PM

6,530 posts, read 14,012,585 times
The tramway is on the far west side of town. Very quiet, no night life at all.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:17 AM

228 posts, read 757,019 times
The Palm Springs Tramway entrance is at the very beginning of town, in what is typically referred to as the north end. Palm Springs Villas, or at least part of it fronts onto Highway 111, the main route into Palm Springs.

The north end is pretty much always windy, which is generally viewed as a negative by most people when it comes to how desirable a piece of real estate is in Palm Springs.

Crime tends to be higher in that end of town due to it's proximity to a very low income neighborhood off of Gateway Drive that is populated mainly by drug dealers and gangsta types. The police will not even enter that neighborhood alone or after dark out of fear of being shot at.

There is no supermarket in the immediate area. The one that used to be located there was driven out by all of the shoplifting that took place. There is no bank. There is one gas station which tends to have some of the highest prices in town. You will find some second hand stores, couple of fast food places, and a liquor store, but your day to day shopping and such will require you to go further into town.

An attempt has been underway for the last few years to revive the north end, clean it up, and make it more fit to live. You will certainly see signs of it in parts of the area. But overall, it's still the north end and has a long way to go before it becomes the high rent district.

My guess is that you are drawn to Palm Springs Villas due to the low prices as compared to other parts of town. Well there is a very good reason for that, mostly due to the factors I listed above. Also, based on previous experience with Palm Springs real estate, I think $100,000 plus for a condo that is under 600 square feet in size is a joke.

I am in no way trying to discourage you from moving there if that's what you really want. Just trying to tell you what I know firsthand from living in Palm Springs for almost 8 years.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:27 PM

11 posts, read 63,228 times
GoodbyeCalifornia is right about the North Palm Springs area. It is much less expensive than other areas except maybe Indio or Desert Hot Springs which have some similar issues....

Old 02-11-2008, 02:10 PM

10 posts, read 33,298 times
Thank you so much for the information. I should have known better-- I am seeing more and more that you really do get what you pay for. That place maybe would have been a step up from desert hot springs and we only last there for a couple weeks. With a 5 year old we really want to be somewhere safe. Thanks again.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:15 PM

15,184 posts, read 24,380,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDel View Post
Thank you so much for the information. I should have known better-- I am seeing more and more that you really do get what you pay for. That place maybe would have been a step up from desert hot springs and we only last there for a couple weeks. With a 5 year old we really want to be somewhere safe. Thanks again.
If you want safety and a nice place to live check out La Quinta, Rancho Mirage, Palm Desert and Indian Wells. Sure, it's more expensive, but you said it yourself - you get what you pay for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties