Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 12:37 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,818 times

Advertisements

I still go with the part in bold:

Quote:
The Inland Empire is a nebulous region, but is defined as the cities of western Riverside County and the cities of southwestern San Bernardino County; adjacent to the Los Angeles metropolitan area. A generally broader definition will include the desert community of Palm Springs and its surrounding area, and a much larger definition will include all of San Bernardino and Riverside counties.[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inland_Empire

The graphic RockyRoadg posted originates from a personals site, so obviously they're going to cluster as many areas together as proves convenient for the site's demographic.

Needles, Baker, Ridgecrest, Blythe and the Coachella Valley are not part of the IE. The low desert (CV and points east) are the DE (Desert Empire). Morongo Valley, Yucca Valley, Joshua Tree, Twentynine Palms and beyond are simply the HD (High Desert).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 01:43 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,128,580 times
My theory on as to why the High Desert area, the Coachella Valley and the Palo Verde Valley (Desert Empire) are usually not considered to be part of the Inland Empire region is because they may be far more spread out, distance-wise and population-wise. That, and their area codes are different, 760 and 442.

Old 12-20-2016, 03:53 PM

817 posts, read 752,528 times
I agree that Palm Springs and Coachella are definitely not the Inland Empire. Temecula, Hemet, and Morongo are the eastern border.

Victorville and Hesperia are not the Inland Empire either.

I also agree with the other poster that said the Western borders are the most debatable. Now, ask anyone that lives over in LA, and they will tell you that anything east of Pasadena is the Inland Empire. But I digress...

The Western border is a gray area that includes San Dimas, Pomona, and Claremont. Usually the people living in those exact cities are the ones that are the most passionate about it. If you go by the technical definition that says the Inland Empire is Riverside and San Bernardino County, then yes the border is where Montclair is.

Now if you go by a much more sensible geographic definition, then that would put the border at where each freeway has a pass that you go through. The most obvious passes are Kellogg Hill on the 10, and the Santa Ana Canyon on the 91. The 210 and the 60 also have passes as well. But if you look on a map the most reasonable border would be the 71 Freeway, then going up to the northern 57 terminus.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:15 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,128,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
I still go with the part in bold:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inland_Empire

The graphic RockyRoadg posted originates from a personals site, so obviously they're going to cluster as many areas together as proves convenient for the site's demographic.

Needles, Baker, Ridgecrest, Blythe and the Coachella Valley are not part of the IE. The low desert (CV and points east) are the DE (Desert Empire). Morongo Valley, Yucca Valley, Joshua Tree, Twentynine Palms and beyond are simply the HD (High Desert).
Also, I think only the Coachella Valley can be referred to as the "Desert Empire" (DE), not including the Palo Verde Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties