Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 01:40 PM

52 posts, read 29,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I live in OC, and I know my husband would have a very very hard time if I was dead set on moving to the IE so I could have chickens and horse, and the tradeoff is that he would have a terrible commute. Is there anything at all in it for him, that you can think of? Other than the fact that you would (or might be) happier? For instance, that he could read/relax/get work done o the train? Or, you would have extra money left over after selling your house and buying this new property, which he could use for something he wants?

How about the kids? They have to leave their school, their friends, for...what exactly? Would they like to have horses? (I know that when I was a middle schooler, I would have happily left all my friends behind if I could have had a horse. But not all kids are like I was).

Hi Saibot - This is kinda OT, but when I saw your comment:

"Would they like to have horses? (I know that when I was a middle schooler, I would have happily left all my friends behind if I could have had a horse. But not all kids are like I was)"

That resonated with me as my sister sooo wanted a horse, so our dad got her one - and she loved it! It was a great horse, which she took care of and rode a lot; actually, we all rode it, but mostly she did. I seem to recall that she had it til she was maybe 17 or 18. She left home at 18 for NYC and did not take Rusty with her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 01:49 PM

924 posts, read 1,049,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful1 View Post
************************************************** ********************************

Ahhh CrazyChickenChick - Just, in general - for all us long time residents of IE and OC - this is a no-brainer. Of course OC is the preferable place to live. We all know that - and I do live here in Riverside - and, have been here for a very long time. It is what it is. BTW - We are quite happy here.

Here I shall briefly list the overall perceived pros and cons of the areas:

OC - Rich, well educated, good climate, low crime, excellent schools, well paying jobs.

IE - Poor, poorly educated, crappy climate, lotsa crime, low paying jobs.

I could add that OC does have some "not so nice" areas - and - that IE has some very nice neighborhoods, and that IE is waay more affordable, but than we are just doing a lot of back and forth - and not really getting anywhere.

I think it is a big plus that your hubby can take the MetroLink to work. Everyone loves the MetroLink.

3Cs - You want chickens and a horse. OK. Uhhh, first let me say there is no such place as South Arlington. West Riverside is everything west (or north, if you wish) of the Santa Ana River. In earlier times, west Riverside was considered kinda crappy, but that perception has changed over time, especially with some fairly decent housing areas having been developed. Have you taken your kids and hubby out to the ranch? What did they say? To some folks - leaving a tiny 5000 sq ft lot with neighbors 5 feet away would be a welcome improvement - but some folks are just "born" city dwellers. If they hate the wide open spaces - then, it looks like you'll be making some chicken soup! Best of luck!
I lived in OC for awhile not far from the beach. Couldn't stand the humidity and dampness. We actually prefer the climate of the western IE. If people think we have crappy climate don't move to other parts of country.

Old 03-10-2017, 01:53 PM

924 posts, read 1,049,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful1 View Post
************************************************** ********************************

Ahhh CrazyChickenChick - Just, in general - for all us long time residents of IE and OC - this is a no-brainer. Of course OC is the preferable place to live. We all know that - and I do live here in Riverside - and, have been here for a very long time. It is what it is. BTW - We are quite happy here.

Here I shall briefly list the overall perceived pros and cons of the areas:

OC - Rich, well educated, good climate, low crime, excellent schools, well paying jobs.

IE - Poor, poorly educated, crappy climate, lotsa crime, low paying jobs.

I could add that OC does have some "not so nice" areas - and - that IE has some very nice neighborhoods, and that IE is waay more affordable, but than we are just doing a lot of back and forth - and not really getting anywhere.

I think it is a big plus that your hubby can take the MetroLink to work. Everyone loves the MetroLink.

3Cs - You want chickens and a horse. OK. Uhhh, first let me say there is no such place as South Arlington. West Riverside is everything west (or north, if you wish) of the Santa Ana River. In earlier times, west Riverside was considered kinda crappy, but that perception has changed over time, especially with some fairly decent housing areas having been developed. Have you taken your kids and hubby out to the ranch? What did they say? To some folks - leaving a tiny 5000 sq ft lot with neighbors 5 feet away would be a welcome improvement - but some folks are just "born" city dwellers. If they hate the wide open spaces - then, it looks like you'll be making some chicken soup! Best of luck!
Lol, love that all those poor people are buying those little $600 k houses in Rancho Cucamonga, Chino, and Eastvale.

Old 03-10-2017, 05:40 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,752,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
I lived in OC for awhile not far from the beach. Couldn't stand the humidity and dampness. We actually prefer the climate of the western IE. If people think we have crappy climate don't move to other parts of country.
I agree with you. I far prefer the climate here in Murrieta/Temecula than Orange County. We can afford to live at the coast but prefer to live inland.

Old 03-10-2017, 05:56 PM

52 posts, read 29,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
Good point BSG - Am glad you pointed this out. I should not have used "crappy"; bad word choice. Actually - simply hot would have been more accurate. AND - drum roll please - Riverside is hot - BUT NO humidity!! Having lived Back East and in the South - I know what high humidity is - and, I don't like it much at all. Give me a 90 degree July day in Riverside any time - over a 80 degree one in Eastern Md or Jacksonville, NC!

Old 03-11-2017, 08:45 AM

929 posts, read 760,779 times
It was very humid last summer and has been that way for the last few years. Now don't get me wrong! I've been to Missouri in the summer time. That's Bad.

Old 03-11-2017, 10:22 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,237,834 times
Here is what I would do. Find a place where you want to move to. Norco, Temecula, Corona all have horse areas and zoned for livestock. Summer is coming and kids will be out of school. Rent nice hotel room(s) for a week. Drive around, look at the schools, walk in the parks check the area out. Your husband can drive to work for a week. If at the end of the week he's ready to commit seppuku with the children helping then the move isn't for you.

Old 03-11-2017, 12:11 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,925,504 times
Woodcrest.

Old 03-11-2017, 05:46 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,639,047 times
If all else fails, would you consider Orange? I doubt that you will find an acre, but there's an equestrian community there with some homes below one million:

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Orange/161...9/home/4339273
"The community amenities include equestrian facilities, horse stables, riding trails, a riding arena and RV storage. Easy access to hiking, biking and riding trails."

Also, it looks like chickens are permitted, at least in some areas of Orange:
Orange California Chicken Ordinance - BackYard Chickens Community

"b. Poultry, rabbits, reptiles, rodents, and other small animals (less than five pounds), shall be limited to a total number of five, and all such animals shall be maintained in coops, pens, or other quarters or restraints located a minimum of twenty (20) feet from any property line."

Old 03-14-2017, 09:33 PM

816 posts, read 913,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyChickenChick View Post
Beardown... so... sarcasm? snark? not sure what you're saying. I was hoping for some actual advice.
Actual advice for your husband and kids who are hesitant. I like the ample sunshine, prosimity to mountains, and the perch on high ground.Personally I have relatives in Arizona so the IE was more convienient for that as well. Later our daughter went to University of Arizona,

About 20 years ago, backyard chickens and roosters were a controversy in Ontario, but more in-town and on smaller lots. There were city council hearings where chicken owners pleaded it was part of their culture in Mexico, while some opponents said they were also from Mexico and liked not having to deal with the disturbance.

We lived in Alta Loma and had ducks for several years. It also is a horse area, but that is declining and it also is too far from your husbands work. So good luck to you and welcome to the IE, and odds are you won't be next door to anyone who applied to this thread.

PS: PS is absolutely not in the IE. (i thought I quoted the reply but I know it wasn't CCC)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties