Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 05:55 PM

8 posts, read 9,019 times

Advertisements

Hello!
My husband and I are moving down to the Palm Desert area in July. We will both be working in Rancho Mirage and have been looking for a house/apartment in the area, but also as far as Coachella or Yucca Valley. We're finding that most apartment complexes or real estate businesses that manage rentals get horrible reviews. We've found it a little surprising to see many bad and so few good reviews concerning a pretty large area of the Valley. It seems quite consistent.

We're looking for a clean, quiet place where the management is honest and responsive and the neighbors are good. Any suggestions for good complexes or realtors to rent from?

Thanks!
Sarah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 12:14 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,129,483 times
Hey, there.

First off, you said that you're planning to look into PD, right? There are other cities/towns in the desert that you can look into for lower/more affordable prices, such as Desert Hot Springs, Thousand Palms, Cathedral City, Indio, Coachella, and some others that I can name for you if you wish.

Secondly, I don't believe that I ever recall hearing about innumerable bad reviews on many apartment complexes/rentals in many areas of the Valley. Where did you hear about this, if I may ask?

I happen to have come across several apartment complexes that actually look clean, nice, and quiet to live in. How about the Watercrest at the Polo Fields off of Monroe Street in Indio? Actually, I should probably ask you this: what is your budget (monthly)?

In addition, you mentioned that you and your husband are moving to out here this July? Please do be prepared for tons of intense, stifling heat in the summer months. Temps in the Valley can often reach above 110-115°F for weeks (or months) on end, and day highs reaching 120°F or over are not, I repeat not, unheard of. In fact, the highest temp ever recorded here in the Valley was 126°F (which took place in the towns of Mecca and Thermal, which are not that far from Indio)! Please be careful!

If you have any more questions, please, feel free to ask. Good luck in your search!

Last edited by Brandon Graves; 05-10-2018 at 12:27 PM..

Old 05-11-2018, 11:05 AM

Hi Brandon!
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond! Answering quickly to some of your points:
- We don't limit ourselves just to PD but are looking practically all over the Valley.
- Critical reviews come from our research online (yelp, apartmentratings.com, rent.com, goolereviews, etc.).
- The Watercrest you mention is actually a good example of another place that looks great in pictures, gets some rave reviews, but also gets low reviews and even warnings to never rent there--unfortunately! This is exactly the problem we're having--places look great, but get some terrible reviews.
- Our budget is $1500 give or take.

We'd actually love to live in Yucca Valley, but it's quite a commute to our jobs and the realtors managing rentals in that area really get bad reviews. Desert Hot Springs would be great because we'd get into the desert and have the beautiful mountain view, and it's only about 20 minutes to work (compared to 45 for Yucca Valley). We don't need to be near shops/restaurants-we're looking forward to hiking and enjoying the surrounding mountains/desert landscapes, the quiet and beauty of the area. Desert Hot Springs concerns us a bit because we've heard there is a fair amount of crime there--any thoughts on that?

Thanks again, we appreciate it and the other amazing write ups you've done!
Sarah

Old 05-11-2018, 11:21 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,615,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakey5 View Post
We'd actually love to live in Yucca Valley, but it's quite a commute to our jobs and the realtors managing rentals in that area really get bad reviews.
Only move to YV if you intend to buy/lease a house, not rent an apartment. Otherwise, it's a long commute, but most of the time the 62 makes for leisurely driving.

Quote:
Desert Hot Springs would be great because we'd get into the desert and have the beautiful mountain view, and it's only about 20 minutes to work (compared to 45 for Yucca Valley). We don't need to be near shops/restaurants-we're looking forward to hiking and enjoying the surrounding mountains/desert landscapes, the quiet and beauty of the area. Desert Hot Springs concerns us a bit because we've heard there is a fair amount of crime there--any thoughts on that?
Okay. You do not want to live in that dumpster of a city. Crime is rampant, and you'll be pummeled by the Santa Anas. Do you like wind speeds of 45MPH on the regular? I didn't think so.

If you want a community you may be able to rent an apartment or house in, near or next to the I-10, look into Cathedral City's Panorama district, or even Thousand Palms. The latter is unincorporated, but has improved quite a bit. Just stick to the main drags, don't go too "deep" into the back streets. They're not all that bad, they're just not all that good, either.

If you can, live in Palm Desert.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Hi Brandon!
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond! Answering quickly to some of your points:
- We don't limit ourselves just to PD but are looking practically all over the Valley.
- Critical reviews come from our research online (yelp, apartmentratings.com, rent.com, goolereviews, etc.).
- The Watercrest you mention is actually a good example of another place that looks great in pictures, gets some rave reviews, but also gets low reviews and even warnings to never rent there--unfortunately! This is exactly the problem we're having--places look great, but get some terrible reviews.

We'd actually love to live in Yucca Valley, but it's quite a commute to our jobs and the realtors managing rentals in that area really get bad reviews. Desert Hot Springs would be great because we'd get into the desert and have the beautiful mountain view, and it's only about 20 minutes to work (compared to 45 for Yucca Valley). We don't need to be near shops/restaurants-we're looking forward to hiking and enjoying the surrounding mountains/desert landscapes, the quiet and beauty of the area. Desert Hot Springs concerns us a bit because we've heard there is a fair amount of crime there--any thoughts on that?

Thanks again, we appreciate it and the other amazing write ups you've done!
Sarah
You're welcome!

Yes, DHS has long suffered from a questionable police force (thankfully, though, that's changing) and higher than average crime (for a smaller city, anyway; it's either DHS or Palm Springs that has the highest amount of crime in the Valley). I believe that DHS is making a comeback, but it still has quite a bit of a way to go. I, and many other Valley locals (and natives), would be the first to inform someone who plans to relocate here that DHS is not a primary choice to live in.

If you prefer somewhat cooler temperatures in the summer, then I think Yucca Valley can be a good choice for you and your husband. Have you thought about looking into other towns near Yucca Valley, such as Joshua Tree, Twentynine Palms, or Morongo Valley? I have some family up in Morongo Valley. Joshua Tree National Park, not far away from there, boasts many hiking trails throughout the desert landscape.

How about the Encanto Apartments off of Clinton Street in Indio (I realize that Indio may not be your primary choice, either)? I believe it's less than $1K per month in rent, so since you mentioned that your budget is $1.5K, give or take, then this apartment complex can be an available option for you and your husband.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask!

Old 05-11-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Okay. You do not want to live in that dumpster of a city. Crime is rampant, and you'll be pummeled by the Santa Anas. Do you like wind speeds of 45MPH on the regular? I didn't think so.

If you want a community you may be able to rent an apartment or house in, near or next to the I-10, look into Cathedral City's Panorama district, or even Thousand Palms. The latter is unincorporated, but has improved quite a bit. Just stick to the main drags, don't go too "deep" into the back streets. They're not all that bad, they're just not all that good, either.

If you can, live in Palm Desert.
I will admit that this is pretty sound advice!

Honestly, if I were to choose between CC and TP, I would personally choose TP. But, of course, that's just me.

Old 05-11-2018, 07:25 PM

485 posts, read 324,157 times
Quote:
Hey Sarah!

Where are you guys moving from, if you don't mind me asking? My hubby and I used to live in Palm Desert and Indio. We never lived in an apartment complex, we would just rent single family homes.

Actually, in Palm Desert we were in a condo and it was ok. But then we moved to Indio and found a really nice house in the Indian Springs Country Club and we loved it! Located on the La Quinta/Indio borderline off of Jefferson and Miles. We loved our landlord, he was so chill, never raised our rent once and after our first year, he let us go month-to-month and we did that for about 2 years. We were in a 3 bedroom/3 bath, right on a golf course w/ great views. Because it was in a country club, the HOA covered the yard work (which our landlord covered) so we didn't have to worry about that. Our rent was $1,700 but that was back in 2009 so I bet rent has gone up since then but ya never know...we found ours on realtor.com and we even negotiated w/ the landlord because he was originally asking $1,800 but we got him to go down.

We live in San Diego now and we're stuck living in an apartment but we sure miss living in that house on the golf course. We would have horrible commutes here if we tried renting a house so we caved and went to apartment living but we'd definitely prefer renting a single family home or condo/townhome.

Try checking out realtor.com at their options...I found this house in La Quinta that seems to be in your budget:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...1-37053#photo0

Good luck to ya!

Old 05-11-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious.In.California View Post
Hey Sarah!

Where are you guys moving from, if you don't mind me asking? My hubby and I used to live in Palm Desert and Indio. We never lived in an apartment complex, we would just rent single family homes.

Actually, in Palm Desert we were in a condo and it was ok. But then we moved to Indio and found a really nice house in the Indian Springs Country Club and we loved it! Located on the La Quinta/Indio borderline off of Jefferson and Miles. We loved our landlord, he was so chill, never raised our rent once and after our first year, he let us go month-to-month and we did that for about 2 years. We were in a 3 bedroom/3 bath, right on a golf course w/ great views. Because it was in a country club, the HOA covered the yard work (which our landlord covered) so we didn't have to worry about that. Our rent was $1,700 but that was back in 2009 so I bet rent has gone up since then but ya never know...we found ours on realtor.com and we even negotiated w/ the landlord because he was originally asking $1,800 but we got him to go down.

We live in San Diego now and we're stuck living in an apartment but we sure miss living in that house on the golf course. We would have horrible commutes here if we tried renting a house so we caved and went to apartment living but we'd definitely prefer renting a single family home or condo/townhome.

Try checking out realtor.com at their options...I found this house in La Quinta that seems to be in your budget:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...1-37053#photo0

Good luck to ya!
Great insight!

If you don't mind me asking, which city did you and your husband like better, PD or Indio, and why?

Old 05-11-2018, 08:21 PM

485 posts, read 324,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Graves View Post
Great insight!

If you don't mind me asking, which city did you and your husband like better, PD or Indio, and why?
Hmmm...

Well we've got mixed feelings about both and here's why...

When we lived in PD, we were in the Oasis CC and almost all of our neighbors were a lot older than us (at the time, I was in my 20's) and our unit was older so our a/c just couldn't keep up with the heat. So during the hot months we just could not cool down...and it was tough trying to get to sleep. I grew up in Colorado so I was not used to heat like that. But we liked the location of PD, being that it was more central and close to restaurants we liked, the movie theaters, shopping...things like that.

When we lived in Indio, we never really hung out in Indio...we would always drive to PD, RM or PS. But we really liked our country club (Indian Springs). It was right on the border of north La Quinta. That country club had younger families and we just really liked it there. Our neighbors really got into the holiday spirit, put up decorations, we even had Trick-or-Treators (which we never got in our PD condo), and they were very welcoming. We were right on the golf course and we had great views of the mountains. And it was a much newer home so our a/c was new and it kept us nice and cool!

So as for location, we liked PD but as for the individual house, we liked Indio. But when we look back during our time spent in the Coachella Valley, we felt we had happier times in Indio. Plus, the drive to the other cities wasn't that bad so IMO, it was worth the extra drive.

The last time we were in the desert for a visit was back in 2016 and I was shocked at how much it had changed and all the new development that was going on. Was happy to see you guys finally got a Whole Foods! I had always wanted one there during the time we were there but I never got it. We moved and then you guys get one, haha!

Old 05-12-2018, 10:52 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice! We would love to rent a house or condo, that would be ideal. We will take a closer look into Indio and into the neighborhood's recommended in Cathedral City and Thousand Palms. So helpful to get specific neighborhoods to focus in on! We're forgetting about DHS--had no idea about the winds and had heard about the crime, so that's a no. We looked into the country club from "Curious.In.California" and now rentals from there go for over $3000, so a no go on our end but we can see why you loved it. Thanks too for the link to realtor.com

What about Coachella? There's a development there called the Villas at the Vineyards that have multiple rentals at a very good price and they look quite nice. Anyone heard about these or have feedback about living in Coachella?

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties