U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-15-2010, 11:25 AM

130 posts, read 161,726 times
I made it back - took me years but I won't go again...
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 12:12 PM

8,538 posts, read 6,358,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInTheDesert View Post
Guessing you must live nearby..?? We are in the Coachella Valley..

Old 01-15-2010, 12:34 PM

740 posts, read 1,007,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
Blue, thank goodness you did not buy a home there, that complicates coming back by a zillion.

We came back after 4 years of being gone..house prices dropped enough for us to come home...of course we still have regret about selling our wonderful home that we had, where we are is fine but it's not home yet. We have been here since June, I know give it time..we did what we thought was the right thing at the time.

We are downsizing, hubby retired and on disability..I am disabled also so we are a slow go with unpacking..the home we had in the other state was twice the size of this, we have 1400 sq feet here. 32 years worth of 'stuff' to go through. This is the hard part.

We are closer to my parents, brother and oldest son. our younger son and wife live east of Sacramento, we are in SoCal..would have preferred to go to Sac area but prices still too high, and we are SoCal natives so it's fine.

Good luck and let us know whats happening on your end!
Barb
Hi Barb! Yes; we are so glad we didn't purchase here. Which when we moved here we started looking right away. But the homes we liked were overpriced by our opinion. So we were looking and waiting to see if prices would drop. Homes we looked at 2 years ago are still sitting on the market here! But after around 6 month's we knew we were not going to stay here. Things are way different here and the quality of life wasn't that great.

We down sized before we left California and stored what we really wanted to keep. Which we had a huge home in California and we had 3 living room suits, 4 bedroom suits etc. And it was just the two of us. Our children are grown. I miss that home though. It was beautiful. And I really miss our pool. But we did need to down size so that was a good thing. When we get back we're not going to buy one that big.

So good to hear you made it back. I'll keep you posted. Hopefully it's soon!

Old 01-15-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInTheDesert View Post
I know how you feel. We've been trying to get back for a year and a half! Once we get back we'll never leave again either. Glad you made it back!

Old 01-15-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueyedCat View Post
Hi Barb! Yes; we are so glad we didn't purchase here. Which when we moved here we started looking right away. But the homes we liked were overpriced by our opinion. So we were looking and waiting to see if prices would drop. Homes we looked at 2 years ago are still sitting on the market here! But after around 6 month's we knew we were not going to stay here. Things are way different here and the quality of life wasn't that great.

We down sized before we left California and stored what we really wanted to keep. Which we had a huge home in California and we had 3 living room suits, 4 bedroom suits etc. And it was just the two of us. Our children are grown. I miss that home though. It was beautiful. And I really miss our pool. But we did need to down size so that was a good thing. When we get back we're not going to buy one that big.

So good to hear you made it back. I'll keep you posted. Hopefully it's soon!
Sounds like we owned the same home, lol. Miss my pool, too..where in CA were you from? And are you heading back to the same area..now are your grown children still in CA? Say what you want about CA but there is no state like it..

Old 01-15-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Sounds like we owned the same home, lol. Miss my pool, too..where in CA were you from? And are you heading back to the same area..now are your grown children still in CA? Say what you want about CA but there is no state like it..
We were in Riverside. My husband worked out of Laguna. And I worked at a respected Medical Clinic there. We were still in California when our boys flew the nest. One is in the Army. He just got back from Iraq and is now on his second tour in South Korea. The other one is a Fireman in Louisiana. The one in the Army loves California too. He will reside there when he's out of the service.
We are looking at going to the same area but all options are open. There is so much to choose from now especially with the affordable housing now. It's nice to have options. We don't have that now. Yes; California is heaven to us after being here for 2 years.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
We were in Riverside. My husband worked out of Laguna. And I worked at a respected Medical Clinic there. We were still in California when our boys flew the nest. One is in the Army. He just got back from Iraq and is now on his second tour in South Korea. The other one is a Fireman in Louisiana. The one in the Army loves California too. He will reside there when he's out of the service.
We are looking at going to the same area but all options are open. There is so much to choose from now especially with the affordable housing now. It's nice to have options. We don't have that now. Yes; California is heaven to us after being here for 2 years.
Ok we are in Riverside County, just outside of Palm Springs..wow we got a heck of a deal here..our home was in Claremont, eastern LA county. Miss it so...just happy to be 'home'.. Our older son lives in Lake Elsinore and our younger son and his wife are east of Sacramento.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Ok we are in Riverside County, just outside of Palm Springs..wow we got a heck of a deal here..our home was in Claremont, eastern LA county. Miss it so...just happy to be 'home'.. Our older son lives in Lake Elsinore and our younger son and his wife are east of Sacramento.
My husbands Mom and Dad are still in California. One of his sisters moved to Vegas. One moved to Michigan (she's moving back to California) and another sister moved to Maryland. My main family is in Louisiana. That was my main reason for moving here was to be closer to my family. But I see them as much now as I did when I lived in Louisiana. They hate coming to Tennessee because of the people here (another story). So I go to see them. My Mother was so happy when we moved closer and now she's happy we're leaving here and understands why we want to go back to California. I'll just fly back and forth like I use to. So each day I sit here dreaming of the day I can come back.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:23 PM

731 posts, read 1,111,639 times
Quote:
You can add my husband and I to the list of people wanting to come back to California. We moved to Tennessee 2 years ago and have been miserable ever since. The grass wasn't greener for sure. California has its problems. But we miss the quality of life we had there. We're just glad we didn't buy a home after we moved here. We're just waiting on the transfer and we're back. Can't wait to be around friendlier people!
I would like to hear more from others that have made it back. Hope to be there soon.
I am sorry you did not find Tn to be enjoyable. We love it here. The people are extremely friendly and we have made lots of new friends. I managed to back into a ditch and before the wrecker came to pull us back out EVERY person of every age that drove by stopped to ask if we needed help. It was raining at the time and they didn't care. In CA I would have had no one stop and most people would have honked their horn because I blocked the road a bit.

Maybe you moved to Western, TN not Middle or eastern, TN. Memphis and the surrounding area is like a different State. More like LA than anything else.

Plenty to do where I am at and at a fraction of the cost. I save $20,000 a year in costs over California just in income and property tax, insurance for home and cars and even in car registration. I registered 4 cars here for the price of one old car in California.Best raise I ever had and my monthly pay did not increase, just what I take home and what is left after the necessities.

I have a beautiful home on 1/2 acre and at 2/3 the cost of my home in CA with a small lot, but more upgrades IN the house. A little smaller but not enough to care about and NO HOA, no City issues (no city) and extremely low taxes on it. I am 5 to 10 minutes from all the stores I need and 20 to 30 minutes to major shopping and the "big" city of Knoxville. Other than being colder and no beach, CA can't compare. Mind you I still love California, just not what it has become.

Hope you are able to return if that is what you want.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:13 PM

Leonard, glad where you moved work out for you..not everyone is lucky to get into an area or neighborhood where there are friendly folks..you are lucky then.

The more I missed California the stranger our new state became. It was not TN..it was a western state. My best advice for anyone moving to a new state or region would be to rent first..that way if it does not work out then you are not stuck as badly as if you had to sell a home. We wasted a year trying to come back just because we had a house to sell first..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties