U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2018, 07:18 PM

45 posts, read 17,825 times

Advertisements

Great! Please let us know your thoughts after your visit, I am really looking forward to hearing back!
Murrieta has an old town a little similar to Temecula’s but smaller. Temecula’s Old Town does have some great locally owned restaurants and a fun atmosphere for a night out. The parades for holidays are there too. It’s juet such a small part of the city as a whole; you have to make an effort to go there.
Temecula/Murrieta is definitely the nicest within the immediate area. Corona and Riverside are just as bad traffic wise (maybe worse at times) and the air quality is worse. The schools are not as good in Henet, Perris, and Elsinore and there is more crime.
We do have some friends that moved to Fallbrook recently and they are loving it. Definitely more of a small town vibe. Might be worth checking out and wouldn’t be too difficult of a commute for your husband since he would be going against the big rush.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 08:06 PM

80 posts, read 75,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55182 View Post
You will find an "old town" area with a western theme. Also rural farms out around the wineries and beyond There are the avocado and citrus groves to the southeast that make nice out of the way drives for the family on a Sunday.
Sounds beautiful

Old 09-22-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieIsHere View Post
Great! Please let us know your thoughts after your visit, I am really looking forward to hearing back!
Murrieta has an old town a little similar to Temeculaís but smaller. Temeculaís Old Town does have some great locally owned restaurants and a fun atmosphere for a night out. The parades for holidays are there too. Itís juet such a small part of the city as a whole; you have to make an effort to go there.
Temecula/Murrieta is definitely the nicest within the immediate area. Corona and Riverside are just as bad traffic wise (maybe worse at times) and the air quality is worse. The schools are not as good in Henet, Perris, and Elsinore and there is more crime.
We do have some friends that moved to Fallbrook recently and they are loving it. Definitely more of a small town vibe. Might be worth checking out and wouldnít be too difficult of a commute for your husband since he would be going against the big rush.
Thanks for the info- I will keep in touch

Old 09-22-2018, 11:37 AM

431 posts, read 973,219 times
Fallbrook has the smaller town feel to it compared to Temecula but you will pay at least 150k more for a similar home and its only 15-20 mins away. Then you have San Diego county taxes, water and electric which are all still more. Schools are not as good. Fallbrook is beautiful though.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danalysd View Post
Fallbrook has the smaller town feel to it compared to Temecula but you will pay at least 150k more for a similar home and its only 15-20 mins away. Then you have San Diego county taxes, water and electric which are all still more. Schools are not as good. Fallbrook is beautiful though.
I saw fallbrook on Google maps and it seemed to have that feeling which I like. I'm glad it's not that far away to give a bit variety. We like the small time vibe in addition to the big cities.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:14 PM

2 posts, read 503 times
Not really sure how you came across Temecula as a place to relocate, but if you have 3 kids, you'll probably find this to your liking. Personally, my wife and I have been here about a year and love it. We relocated from Seattle and I suppose we traded one extreme (rain) for another extreme (summer heat). About that summer heat, it's really not that bad as it's dry and it typically cools down into the lower 60s in July and August at night. The mornings are nice if you can get out early enough. There's typically about a 10 mile per hour breeze in the afternoon. As others have mentioned, the weather here can be preferable to the coast, which tends to feel muggy even when it's in the 60s and 70s. I can say this from having lived in Carlsbad for 6 months.

From what I've been told, much of Temecula has been built in the last 30 years with the construction and expansion of the 15 (b.t.w., highways around here are referred to as "the", as in the 15, the 78, etc.) Master planned communities are primarily east of Margarita north of Temecula Parkway, and pretty much everywhere south of Temecula Parkway until you drive out of town on Rainbow Canyon Road. If they're not to your liking and you have the means, there is a tremendous amount of horse property both west and east of the 15. I'm always amazed when traveling thru these areas, the amount of money that has found its way into Temecula. You haven't mentioned whether you and your husband are physically active, but here's a tip if you are, the area has some of the best bike riding you'll find in southern California. Bike lanes on most roads within town and beautiful rolling hills outside of town in wine country and up in De Luz, west of the 15. Cycling nirvana if you don't mind the hills.

Your kids will have no problem finding playmates as the area tends to draw a lot of young, commuting families with 2+ kids and a dog or 2. One advantage you'll find with the master planned communities, Paloma del Sol and Paseo del Sol in particular, is the interconnecting parks. You can literally walk for miles thru these communities and almost never leave a park or a connecting trail. As a result, the town feels and likely is, one of the greenest in SoCal. Even the surrounding hills seem to be greener as there's a not too infrequent marine layer spilling over them. One other thing I should mention about your kids, they will likely either have to walk, ride a bike or skateboard their way to school. There's very few school buses in this town, the majority of which are used for "special need" students. I believe it's this lack of school buses and the expenses related to them that helps free up money in the budget for other things. That could have something to do with the high rating these schools have earned.

With regards to nearby quaint towns, I agree that Fallbrook would fit that description the best. If you don't mind going a little farther, Idyllwild is located near Mount San Jacinto State Park and is an easy day trip and a pleasant drive away. You can also make your way down to Oceanside and Carlsbad in about 50 minutes for a little beach time. (by the way, no dogs allowed on either of those beaches).

Okay, I've babbled on long enough about the good (I'm still in the honeymoon stage with this place), but obviously as with any place, there's also some bad and most of this is nit-picking.

Traffic.
Not much of a problem since you won't be commuting. While the 15 can be truly soul sucking at times, the surface streets are typically not a problem at any time of day, Winchester Road being the exception.
The weather.
Some folks like it cooler and wetter than it is around here. After 25 years in Seattle, I most certainly do not. This is something everyone will respond to differently. Your mileage will vary.
Ants.
I didn't anticipate this before moving here, but they can be a bit of a nuisance during the summer months. Nothing that a little ant bait can't take care of, but it's worth mentioning.
Expense.
Yeah, taxes are higher, housing's more expensive, but you know this going in. It will just depend on how much value you place on the positive aspects of living here.
Smog.
Nothing like what you'd find in the LA/Long Beach area, but I won't kid you, there will be a day here and there when it will show up and it's a tad disappointing when it does.
Too many people.
You're living in the front range and it will be nothing new to you. Let's face it, most any place that's nice and has an economy has been discovered.

I'm sure there's plenty more good and bad to mention, but you've probably already nodded off reading this so I'll end this tribe with a simple "Best Wishes" in your possible relocating. It's a big decision and I hope it works out well for you.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:10 AM

431 posts, read 973,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd_guest View Post
Not really sure how you came across Temecula as a place to relocate, but if you have 3 kids, you'll probably find this to your liking. Personally, my wife and I have been here about a year and love it. We relocated from Seattle and I suppose we traded one extreme (rain) for another extreme (summer heat). About that summer heat, it's really not that bad as it's dry and it typically cools down into the lower 60s in July and August at night. The mornings are nice if you can get out early enough. There's typically about a 10 mile per hour breeze in the afternoon. As others have mentioned, the weather here can be preferable to the coast, which tends to feel muggy even when it's in the 60s and 70s. I can say this from having lived in Carlsbad for 6 months.

From what I've been told, much of Temecula has been built in the last 30 years with the construction and expansion of the 15 (b.t.w., highways around here are referred to as "the", as in the 15, the 78, etc.) Master planned communities are primarily east of Margarita north of Temecula Parkway, and pretty much everywhere south of Temecula Parkway until you drive out of town on Rainbow Canyon Road. If they're not to your liking and you have the means, there is a tremendous amount of horse property both west and east of the 15. I'm always amazed when traveling thru these areas, the amount of money that has found its way into Temecula. You haven't mentioned whether you and your husband are physically active, but here's a tip if you are, the area has some of the best bike riding you'll find in southern California. Bike lanes on most roads within town and beautiful rolling hills outside of town in wine country and up in De Luz, west of the 15. Cycling nirvana if you don't mind the hills.

Your kids will have no problem finding playmates as the area tends to draw a lot of young, commuting families with 2+ kids and a dog or 2. One advantage you'll find with the master planned communities, Paloma del Sol and Paseo del Sol in particular, is the interconnecting parks. You can literally walk for miles thru these communities and almost never leave a park or a connecting trail. As a result, the town feels and likely is, one of the greenest in SoCal. Even the surrounding hills seem to be greener as there's a not too infrequent marine layer spilling over them. One other thing I should mention about your kids, they will likely either have to walk, ride a bike or skateboard their way to school. There's very few school buses in this town, the majority of which are used for "special need" students. I believe it's this lack of school buses and the expenses related to them that helps free up money in the budget for other things. That could have something to do with the high rating these schools have earned.

With regards to nearby quaint towns, I agree that Fallbrook would fit that description the best. If you don't mind going a little farther, Idyllwild is located near Mount San Jacinto State Park and is an easy day trip and a pleasant drive away. You can also make your way down to Oceanside and Carlsbad in about 50 minutes for a little beach time. (by the way, no dogs allowed on either of those beaches).

Okay, I've babbled on long enough about the good (I'm still in the honeymoon stage with this place), but obviously as with any place, there's also some bad and most of this is nit-picking.

Traffic.
Not much of a problem since you won't be commuting. While the 15 can be truly soul sucking at times, the surface streets are typically not a problem at any time of day, Winchester Road being the exception.
The weather.
Some folks like it cooler and wetter than it is around here. After 25 years in Seattle, I most certainly do not. This is something everyone will respond to differently. Your mileage will vary.
Ants.
I didn't anticipate this before moving here, but they can be a bit of a nuisance during the summer months. Nothing that a little ant bait can't take care of, but it's worth mentioning.
Expense.
Yeah, taxes are higher, housing's more expensive, but you know this going in. It will just depend on how much value you place on the positive aspects of living here.
Smog.
Nothing like what you'd find in the LA/Long Beach area, but I won't kid you, there will be a day here and there when it will show up and it's a tad disappointing when it does.
Too many people.
You're living in the front range and it will be nothing new to you. Let's face it, most any place that's nice and has an economy has been discovered.

I'm sure there's plenty more good and bad to mention, but you've probably already nodded off reading this so I'll end this tribe with a simple "Best Wishes" in your possible relocating. It's a big decision and I hope it works out well for you.
Nailed it. Well written. Been here for 9 years now after living in San Diego for 5 years. Before that it was Rochester NY with many months at a time that you wouldnt see the sun. Love the weather here in Temecula, sunny, little rain. (miss the T-storms from back East) warm all year round.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:00 PM

208 posts, read 412,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadhere View Post
Thank you for the feedback. The job is in Temecula so there wouldn't be commuting. Do you know the best times to drive on those roads? Is it ok driving within Temecula?
Between the two of them, I would agree a bit more with Stephanie. I have lived here since 1990. Are there a bunch of cool things to do and see near this area? Absolutely. But itís going to be closer to a 1-2 hour drive to get to most of those places. Driving to San Diego, orange county, or the Los Angeles area during the week in the morning will take much longer than one hour. Also returning from any of these places in the afternoon during the week will take much longer as well. It could easily take over 2 hours. The only way to avoid this is to drive during off-peak commute times, and even in this case, if there is a traffic accident(fairly common), it could be horrible. There are a lot of beautiful desert and mountains to see as well. Realistically if you think youíre going to get to Oceanside beach in 40 minutes during the summer months, when you (and everyone else)want to go, this isnít likely to happen. The drive back is even worse. Iím not trying to be negative, I have done this drive dozens of times this summer and it just doesnít happen anymore. And when you get there the parking situation is horrible. Half the time, I cut through Fallbrook just to avoid the commute over one hour. There are people who work in Escondido and live in Temecula, and their commute home with traffic or an accident can be up to 2 hours. Theyíre only going about 30 miles.

Temecula is as good as any southern California city can be for the price. It is still relatively affordable here compared to the more expensive cities surrounding us. It is a great, safe, and clean family town. The weather is awesome for 3 seasons, with long summers, but a lot of blue skies when everyone else in the country is getting snow and rain. The terrain here can be pretty. It is comprised of rolling hills, but in the summer/fall it can look very dry and sparse. For a month during spring, itís actually very green.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:16 PM

208 posts, read 412,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadhere View Post
Do any of these surrounding places have a little downtown center? Or are they purely suburban sprawl...
Murrieta has a cute old town that is growing, but currently much lower key than Temecula. Everything else is urban sprawl with the exception of Lake Elsinore which has a few gimmicks like the baseball field, but personally I avoid and am not a fan. If you want cute and quaint, try Idylwild, Julian, Carlsbad, Coranado, or push into the Anza Borrego desert.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Shed View Post
Between the two of them, I would agree a bit more with Stephanie. I have lived here since 1990. Are there a bunch of cool things to do and see near this area? Absolutely. But itís going to be closer to a 1-2 hour drive to get to most of those places. Driving to San Diego, orange county, or the Los Angeles area during the week in the morning will take much longer than one hour. Also returning from any of these places in the afternoon during the week will take much longer as well. It could easily take over 2 hours. The only way to avoid this is to drive during off-peak commute times, and even in this case, if there is a traffic accident(fairly common), it could be horrible. There are a lot of beautiful desert and mountains to see as well. Realistically if you think youíre going to get to Oceanside beach in 40 minutes during the summer months, when you (and everyone else)want to go, this isnít likely to happen. The drive back is even worse. Iím not trying to be negative, I have done this drive dozens of times this summer and it just doesnít happen anymore. And when you get there the parking situation is horrible. Half the time, I cut through Fallbrook just to avoid the commute over one hour. There are people who work in Escondido and live in Temecula, and their commute home with traffic or an accident can be up to 2 hours. Theyíre only going about 30 miles.

Temecula is as good as any southern California city can be for the price. It is still relatively affordable here compared to the more expensive cities surrounding us. It is a great, safe, and clean family town. The weather is awesome for 3 seasons, with long summers, but a lot of blue skies when everyone else in the country is getting snow and rain. The terrain here can be pretty. It is comprised of rolling hills, but in the summer/fall it can look very dry and sparse. For a month during spring, itís actually very green.
Could you clarify a bit regarding th dry/sparse period of summer and fall. One of the attractions if California for me is the foliage, variety of trees, colors. I did visit Temecula a couple weeks ago. We were there for my husband's interview and only had a couple days as we were seeing other parts. It may have appeared a little dry as far as the trees etc. I take it that is what you're referring too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or