U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 08:42 PM

9,450 posts, read 7,127,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
Same as many parts of LA and OC. That stereotype is very dated and doesn’t reflect the massive growth of the IE especially those western areas that border the coastal counties.
That seems to be pretty much true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 11:00 PM

1,177 posts, read 740,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usklx View Post
Diverting this conversation to something else, so how is the Asian food in the inland empire? Specifically the areas of Murrieta and Temecula? And what you guys say that these two towns are amongst some of the safest areas the inland empire?
What kind of Asian food? I cannot speak to Murrieta and Temecula but as to the IE in general:

1. Chinese - not that great, I'd go to Diamond Bar if not San Gabriel Valley).

2. Japanese - not that great either. All the sushi places I've been to are not Japanese owned. Quality of the fish was OK. I preferred to go to OC.

3. Korean - some decent places, especially in Chino Hills. More promising...

4. Indian - some pretty good places, good if you find the right place.

5. Thai - a couple of decent places, most were meh...

The IE is not a great foodie area overall. There are a few gems, but you have to find them.

As far as safe area, I would also include Eastvale, and Upland and Rancho Cucamonga north of the 210 freeway.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:31 AM

666 posts, read 481,513 times
This probably shows how distorted a view you can get of a region by a drive-by sample. Go to Orange County and see how things look on PCH. Go to the IE and exit the 10 and drive a few blocks into "Rancho Cucamonga" and get a definitive view without ever crossing Arrow Hwy. Then head to San Bernardino.

You could make the same mistake in Chicago. There are two different images of the South Side. You could explore via the Dan Ryan and the highlight would be Guaranteed Rate Field which is home of Chicago's second favorite MLB team. You could explore via Lake Shore Drive and see all the museums, the lakefront, the University of Chicago, Hyde Park, and a former President's old house (if the Secret Service allows it).

Old 01-05-2019, 01:38 AM

1,177 posts, read 740,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardown91737 View Post
This probably shows how distorted a view you can get of a region by a drive-by sample. Go to Orange County and see how things look on PCH. Go to the IE and exit the 10 and drive a few blocks into "Rancho Cucamonga" and get a definitive view without ever crossing Arrow Hwy. Then head to San Bernardino.

You could make the same mistake in Chicago. There are two different images of the South Side. You could explore via the Dan Ryan and the highlight would be Guaranteed Rate Field which is home of Chicago's second favorite MLB team. You could explore via Lake Shore Drive and see all the museums, the lakefront, the University of Chicago, Hyde Park, and a former President's old house (if the Secret Service allows it).
The OP is trolling and won't be back here...

Old 01-05-2019, 08:24 AM

14,553 posts, read 14,058,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran Keating View Post
I understand Ventura, LA, and Orange county are closer to Los Angeles than the IE
Well, yes, L.A. County would be "closer to Los Angeles than the IE." That would make sense.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:25 AM

14,553 posts, read 14,058,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
OP's first post on city-data was this past may, with subject : "Why is Prince George's County so awful compared to MoCo, HoCo, Loudoun, and Fairfax Counties?", and it started out :

Spent the last couple weekends driving around the DC suburbs since I am planning on relocating to there from New Jersey. I was impressed by what I saw in Northern Virginia and Howard/ Montgomery county in terms of the houses, school district, friendliness of the people, shopping, safety, and general aesthetic. PG county however does not seem like an ideal place to live by any means, from what I saw.

My question is, why is PG county so bad?
. {...}

Sound familiar ????? Maybe very similar to this thread ?????
Good catch.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:26 PM

547 posts, read 395,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
What kind of Asian food? I cannot speak to Murrieta and Temecula but as to the IE in general:

1. Chinese - not that great, I'd go to Diamond Bar if not San Gabriel Valley).

2. Japanese - not that great either. All the sushi places I've been to are not Japanese owned. Quality of the fish was OK. I preferred to go to OC.

3. Korean - some decent places, especially in Chino Hills. More promising...

4. Indian - some pretty good places, good if you find the right place.

5. Thai - a couple of decent places, most were meh...

The IE is not a great foodie area overall. There are a few gems, but you have to find them.

As far as safe area, I would also include Eastvale, and Upland and Rancho Cucamonga north of the 210 freeway.
The Asian population is quickly increasing in the western IE areas next to the SGV. Greatly improving the Asian food opportunities.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:53 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,659,360 times
"What's wrong with the Inland Empire?"

-- Nothing!

Old 01-06-2019, 01:36 AM

14,524 posts, read 17,014,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiaguy2007 View Post
Try visiting other true impoverished parts of the World and other parts of this Country and then tell me what you think of The Inland Empire.

The Inland Empire is just like everywhere else,you have your good/bad areas,and there is literally so much things to see and do around the region as well.

The IE has enormous potential

Before moving completely out of state to an actual small town, I lived in Los Angeles, but in the Valley. If you don't know what the VALLEY is, then you were only visiting. Mom and family lived there before it was the Valley, my grandfather part of the movie people with special skills which made Hollywood a place known world wide. It has changed a lot, but it still can claim the name. My dad got a job offer in Orange, and we got to live where there was beach and much less smog. I don't recall us actually going to the beach more than a few times a summer. It was just too hot and too many people.

I relocated to the IE, Riverside in particular, when I had to move after Dad went to care. One of the things I loved was how it felt like the the Valley as it had been. And people were not so smuggly 'best' about everything. Sometimes people like to live places its not so 'perfect' and 'new and flashy' and all that.

So when Dad passed, following Mom, I just wanted out. I came here to OK for a convention (for the tv show Jericho), discovered that the vibes were so much more comfortable. Thus, I ended up living here. What you see now is a big resettment of Californians to other places, maybe for money since the cost of living is also MUCH less. But when you no longer felt much comfort in the society and you do in the new place, it means something wasn't working.

I'd say some of those who move want to live in a newer, flashier and more sparkly city. Some leave to escape exactly the opposite.

I for one left the IE for cost of living, and getting away from bad memories. Here, there are no old bad sad memories. And the lower cost of living actually provides MORE to persue what you enjoy.

I moved in part since the climate and heat were getting more humid. And that that house would always be where Mom died. I can't say what's happened since, but I suspect its gotten a little better. Reading about how with tougher laws, the *smog* problem is improving a lot as is overall health. If that had been back then, who knows, maybe I'd stay.

But the thing about why people move or relocate can be many, and its hard to judge. Then after a while, you really can't go 'home' since as time passes the home you remembered may be slipping away too.

So, when you find a place which is just right, remember it is only in its time and will move on like all else.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:38 PM

777 posts, read 3,352,304 times
Spending most of my my life in the Inland Empire until relocating to a different sunshine state several years ago, I understand both the stereotype and counter-stereotype to what is a huge area. The snapshot, today, is not compelling. The divide between non-professional-level wages and the cost of housing is severe, and the bulk of development is uninspiring. Yes, places like Upland and Palm Springs have their charms, but the core of the IE -- adjacent to Riverside and San Bernardino proper -- is ordinary to deeply struggling. It's a place to graduate from, rather than a destination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties