U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 10:46 PM

2 posts, read 19,187 times
Default Got the skinny

I've checked out both Beau Monde's and Rainbow Vision's Palm Springs properties. And it looks like though they are both for gays and lesbians, they are very different developments.

Beau Monde's project is called 'Liberty' and is selling 156 single-family homes on 24 acres of land in Central Palm Springs, with 4 floorplans ranging from 1,777 to 2,580sq ft. Prices start in the $700K range. You own your house and the land and pay HOA fees for amenities and upkeep. It appears to be very upscale and nice with a long list of amenities. Construction is supposed to begin this summer.

Rainbow Vision is selling 186 stacked condominiums on 13 acres to the Southeast of Palm Springs, with 13 floorplans ranging from 1,216 to 2,257sq ft. Prices start in the $300K range. You own your condo, but if you choose to leave, you have to sell back to Rainbow Vision, minus a 10% transfer fee. This project seems nice too, but looks more like apartments, based on the drawings on the website. I couldn't get a solid answer on when construction is to begin.

Overall, I really like what Beau Monde is offering with 'Liberty' but I think it's great that there are more of these communities popping up that can appeal to people of different income levels and offer more choices for gay seniors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 08:15 AM

2 posts, read 18,953 times
RainbowVision breaks ground this October 07. Prices are from 500-800K
Includes Billie Jean King Stadium tennis courts, lobby, pool,and rooftop dining/bars , 2 pools, spa, fitness center.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:45 AM

6,059 posts, read 5,199,697 times
Land for the Palm Springs RainbowVision project was reclaimed in December 2008 by its lender in a foreclosure auction. Their Santa Fe operation is going through a lot of adminstrative and staffing upheavals.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,137 times
I looked there.
Found some inexpensive condos, however the less the buying price the higher the HOA was.

I have one friend that owns a condo there and it was in the greenhouse Condos. There is a huge community pool and some units have a private patio, jacuzzi or small pool on their courtyard.
Very nice. Theirs wasn't remodeled and was just average but had the jacuzzi.

After paying high auto gas prices, brace yourself, the electricity is high as hell and the water prices are just as mind-spinning.

I would consider the Greenhouse condos but at the same time, I think I would choose something somewhere else. I like a gay beach or similar.

San Francisco is expensive, north of there in San Rafael is not to bad and can go to the nude beaches on the north side of GG bridge.

LA is a mess with traffic

San Diego is great and has a nice nude beach yet traveling anywhere by car is not fun and a long trip - either through LA or to the desert to the east. South is Mexico- Tijuana - yuck.

If you don't mind hurricanes, South Beach Florida, Miami Beach, and near Haulover beach is nice. Just stay near the ocean - as you go inland, the summer is too hot and more crime.

I chose Wilmington NC, it has excellent weather most of the year and is very reasonable prices.
When I retire I would like something more gay - as far as a nude beach or something.

Best of luck.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:41 PM

2 posts, read 3,382 times
I have spent a lot of time in palm springs area and I would say the area is decently gay friendly. Mostly the small strip in palm springs is where most gay activities go down. Besides the Desert AIDS project and its GALA in December, gay life in the desert centers on drugs and alcohol. If that isn't your thing Palm Desert has great places to eat and great activities. La Quinta is another good choice with great neighborhoods to choose from. Palm Springs has a pretty small population for CA and the gay community is pretty transient. Still its a great place to live and retire

Old 12-30-2012, 02:11 PM

69 posts, read 36,789 times
Default Any Comparison To Retirement In Long Beach/San Diego?

I would like to retire in two years. I am 56 and in LA now. I've never been to Palm Springs, but being a single gay man I'm looking for a primarily gay senior area that is friendly (non-sexual). The summer weather in Palm Springs sounds terrible though.

I'm wondering if any seniors out there have any comparisons between LA and Palm Springs. I guess Long Beach might be the most affordable place for a gay retiree in the LA area (not rich here, but should be able to get about 60K/year from my investments).

I'm mostly interested in meeting some people that I can become friends with in retirement, when I have a lot more time on my hands.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:01 PM

920 posts, read 734,126 times
Gay retirement? You retiring from being gay???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties