Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 03:01 PM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times

Advertisements

Summers in the IE can be somewhat humid. It's not the high desert where the humidity is about 12% on an average day. When I drive down to Fontana in July, it's horrible. Temps upper 90s and humid usually. As soon as you get out of the car, you sweat and the bad air quality doesn't help one bit. Many days the air feels thick like you can cut it with a knife.
The low humidity doesn't really come into play until fall and winter when the Sana Ana winds start up. The sea breeze which brings more humidity happens more in the spring along with June gloom (overcast). July through September most years is pretty hot, rather humid with little breeze.
BTW, anything west of San Bernardino county like Covina, Glendora, Pomona, isn't Inland Empire. They are considered San Gabriel Valley. The SGV stretches from Pasadena to Pomona. It's the area south of the San Gabriel mountains in Los Angeles county.

Last edited by marino760; 03-14-2019 at 03:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 03:16 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thx-1138 View Post
Yes, I know, I didn't say they were, but they are further west than San Berdo, so if West Covina doesn't get a sea breeze, how would SB?
Agreed. I never understood the claim about sea breezes.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:30 PM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Agreed. I never understood the claim about sea breezes.
Unless there are Santa Ana conditions, the breeze, whatever of it there is, comes off the ocean. That doesn't mean it's going to be cool and refreshing as if you lived along the coast.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:24 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,747,721 times
Quote:
Yes, I know, I didn't say they were, but they are further west than San Berdo, so if West Covina doesn't get a sea breeze, how would SB?

Just saying what I remember from 28 years living in So. Cal. I'm sure some things have changed since then.

Thx
West Covina has some hills to the south and east (City of Industry, Puente Hills, Rowland/Hacienda Heights, Walnut), so that is a factor in why much of the breeze is blocked.

The air pollution comes in from the LA basin and pushes up towards the foothills. It's a weaker breeze most of the time compared to the one that comes through the Santa Ana Canyon. That's why places like Upland, Rancho Cucamonga and Fontana have bad air. The air through Chino Hills, Eastvale and Corona and West Riverside is cleaner.

Last edited by Vic Romano; 03-14-2019 at 04:34 PM..

Old 03-14-2019, 05:22 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,957,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
West Covina has some hills to the south and east (City of Industry, Puente Hills, Rowland/Hacienda Heights, Walnut), so that is a factor in why much of the breeze is blocked.

The air pollution comes in from the LA basin and pushes up towards the foothills. It's a weaker breeze most of the time compared to the one that comes through the Santa Ana Canyon. That's why places like Upland, Rancho Cucamonga and Fontana have bad air. The air through Chino Hills, Eastvale and Corona and West Riverside is cleaner.
Can anyone in Fontana vouch for a nice steady sea breeze, then, during the daytime heat of summer?

I'll readily tell you that living on the Northern fringe of Irvine for over a decade, the "sea breeze" was an absolute joke during the summer. The hotter the day, the weaker it was, until it disappeared entirely during heat waves.

I guess we will just have to believe you that even Fontana is breezier than Northern Irvine.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:03 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,747,721 times
What's your problem? Haven't you read the threads at all? It's already been discussed. I don't see in your resume that you've lived in the IE. At this point just here to bash, nothing more.

As I sit in Chino Hills right now it is high 60s and crystal clear with a 20+ mph wind. Passed Fontana an hour ago and the wind was 30+.

So unless you have anything constructive to add, give it up.

Last edited by Vic Romano; 03-14-2019 at 06:14 PM..

Old 03-14-2019, 08:14 PM

464 posts, read 286,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post

Yes, okay, I was just a kid in San Berdo in the 60s and probably didn't even notice.

I do remember West Covina though and the smog trap in Glendora/San Dimas, and many hot, smoggy days with my eyes burning, lol.

Hey, you guys ever go up "GMR"? "Glendora Mountain Road" to uh, "hang out" and descend on Foster's donuts afterwards?

We used to do that fairly often, not for the place to smoke (cops started getting on that, would look down on you with binoculars) but it was a great excuse to go to Foster's and get a couple of their over-sized donuts.

Thx

Old 03-14-2019, 08:16 PM

427 posts, read 367,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Can anyone in Fontana vouch for a nice steady sea breeze, then, during the daytime heat of summer?

I'll readily tell you that living on the Northern fringe of Irvine for over a decade, the "sea breeze" was an absolute joke during the summer. The hotter the day, the weaker it was, until it disappeared entirely during heat waves.

I guess we will just have to believe you that even Fontana is breezier than Northern Irvine.
Santa Ana winds like today are strong from Berdoo through Day Creek in Rancho. Those are opposite direction however, from Vegas. Hence this weekends coming warm up. There is zero, zero, zero sea breeze in this area. You just get normal cool downs from the sun setting

Old 03-14-2019, 08:18 PM

427 posts, read 367,754 times
The air in Rancho and Fontana is not bad. Maybe 15 years ago but no longer.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:24 PM

464 posts, read 286,647 times
Quote:
Here's what I used to like in Rancho Cucamonga, The Magic Lamp...

Still there?

I can't imagine it closing, and folks.. breath... breath in and out, breath air... not their awesome garlic cheese toast... slow down and savor...don't inhale the garlic cheese toast, it's not your last day on Earth!

Get an extra order to take home, why go crazy right there in the lobby?

Thx

Here is another place with awesome cheese toast, the Northwoods Inn in Covina.

icici branch near me

Not trying to derail the thread, I really enjoy the So. Cal topics, but one thing up here in Seattle that every Cali transplant mentions within a few minutes, is missing the food!

Okay, sorry, back to our regularly scheduled topic.

Thx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties