U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 03:38 PM

12 posts, read 8,437 times

Advertisements

Is San bernardino similar to pomona ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 06:47 AM

20,770 posts, read 18,420,933 times
San Bernardino is apparently improving. See the end of this thread--despite the title of it--for more recent info on this city:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-b...ernardino.html

Old 04-11-2019, 10:37 AM

18,173 posts, read 12,467,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
San Bernardino is apparently improving. See the end of this thread--despite the title of it--for more recent info on this city:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-b...ernardino.html
Yes it is improving. It is an example of what some complain about ... gentrification. People moving in who want a better life and neighborhoods, not just "hoods".

Old 04-16-2019, 06:19 PM

464 posts, read 161,144 times
I grew up in San Berdo in the 60s, and what I'm not seeing in the thread is where I remember the good section of town being pointed out...

Now I haven't been there since the early 80s, and yes, I'm sure it has changed in many ways since then, but I have walked around on Google Earth and I like to think that I am as observant as the next...

It seems to me that the best place is north of the 210 fwy... and always has been... (other than Muscoy of course...)

We used to live on Sierra Way and 34th, and that area, all the way from the golf course west over to Marshall School at Shandin Hills is almost "time capsule" intact...

Same houses, same trees, very little has changed... (the old Boulevard Market is gone...)

But it is like stepping back 50 years!

(Gosh, I wonder if my old turtle is still in the back yard! )

As I remember, everything south of Highland is pretty bad.. by the time you get to Baseline, just forget about it. (That was "the line" back then and probably always will be.)

My sitter had a nice, big house on Arrowhead avenue, just about a block south of the 210 fwy, and that's still okay, but again, it all starts going bad around Highland.

(the further south you go, the worse it gets, that's your basic rule of thumb, all the way down to and to include Riverside/Rialto, with the exception of Loma Linda...)

And Riverside... that had a reputation for Hell's Angels and meth labs, if I am not grossly mistaken, perhaps that has changed a lot.

I live in Seattle now, actually next to the Olympic forest, but I still like to visit my old neighborhoods on Google Earth, and was looking at a condo in Shandin Hills around 2009 for 52K...

I bought land up here, but boy was I tempted!

Thx

Last edited by Thx-1138; 04-16-2019 at 07:47 PM..

Old 04-16-2019, 06:42 PM

20,770 posts, read 18,420,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thx-1138 View Post
I grew up in San Berdo in the 60s, and what I'm not seeing in the thread is where I remember the good section of town being pointed out...
It was toward the end of that thread: http://graphics.latimes.com/san-bernardino-pride/

Old 04-16-2019, 06:50 PM

1 posts, read 849 times
I used to live in San Berdoo....i lived there for 19 mos and it felt like 30 yrs. I lived in an area called the California Gardens off California ST between Baseline and Highland (i think it was Highland). this was early 80's (Jan '81 to Aug '82). I went to Shandin Hills Jr high...San Berdoo high for about 3 mos, then had to go to Pacific high cuz San Berdoo got crazy....I couldn't even go to El Cajon. I've been back to the area in the past couple of years and it's improved some what as far as the neighborhoods...but not much.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
It was toward the end of that thread: http://graphics.latimes.com/san-bernardino-pride/

Thank you, I didn't hit the links, just reading the posts.

I do plan on coming back someday and visiting my old home, my old house looks like my dad might have painted it, the rich kids up the street look like nothing has changed at all, everything down to the vehicles is just the same.

I can still see a tree where I carved my name as a kid... the area by the golf course looks as "upper middle-class" as it was in 1967... I expect there's some housewife in there watching old episodes of "The Hollywood Squares."

The palm trees are a little bigger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J7IrPVLc4U

Visiting the area is on my bucket list...

Thx

Last edited by Thx-1138; 04-16-2019 at 08:16 PM..

Old 04-17-2019, 12:57 PM

427 posts, read 246,595 times
Quote:
And Riverside... that had a reputation for Hell's Angels and meth labs, if I am not grossly mistaken, perhaps that has changed a lot.
Riverside has changed immensely, in ways SB could only dream of. Riverside has some bad areas but downtown is trendy, UC Riverside has benefited from UCLA overcrowding, anything Craftsman or MCM is sought after, and the southern parts of town are growing and there are areas of wealth. Night and day from SB

Old 04-17-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
Riverside has changed immensely, in ways SB could only dream of. Riverside has some bad areas but downtown is trendy, UC Riverside has benefited from UCLA overcrowding, anything Craftsman or MCM is sought after, and the southern parts of town are growing and there are areas of wealth. Night and day from SB

Well that's good to hear.

I remember watching that show "cops" and so often they were featuring Riverside during the meth epidemic.

The only time we used to go south of Baseline was to go to the Orange Show and the speedway there.

That was before they built the IC Mall.

Thx

Old 04-24-2019, 12:02 AM

1,739 posts, read 421,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post

Received a great education/college experience at UC Riverside. It increased 39 spots on 2019 US News Rankings (#85)...the biggest jump of any college in the NATION! The fastest growing UC for a reason (projected at 40K students soon) that still has a Personal Touch that many other UC's lack. Has smaller classes, easier access to professors, better financial aid (in many cases), with a more collaborative education where you are not just a number. Has the first new Medical School in California in 50 years. Riverside County is the third fastest growing county in the nation, with growth projected through year 2065. Is positioned very well for the future...will move upward and onward in a BIG way! Go Highlanders!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties